The Student Room Group

law degree

It is getting close for me to have to apply to universities and I am unsure on what degree I should go into. Im thinking of reading law. Is law a degree worth doing?
Original post by Oliver000
It is getting close for me to have to apply to universities and I am unsure on what degree I should go into. Im thinking of reading law. Is law a degree worth doing?

Is it worth what? Define 'it'.
Reply 2
Original post by Reality Check
Is it worth what? Define 'it'.

Is it a degree worth doing? Does it open many options and even, is it an enjoyable degree?
Reply 3
Is it a degree worth doing? Does it open many options and even, is it an enjoyable degree?

Does it open doors? Not more so than any other degree. Law can *sometimes* be a more respected degree in the eyes of *some* employers, but rarely.

Is it enjoyable? I've just finished my first year, the advantage of a law degree in terms of comparisons is that most students take similar modules over their three years - they are more rigid than other degrees, so bear that in mind. I personally very much enjoyed my first year academically, even though I did find some of the modules and exams to be not as interesting as others.

What are your personal interests?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by corinium
Does it open doors? Not more so than any other degree. Law can *sometimes* be a more respected degree in the eyes of *some* employers, but rarely.

Is it enjoyable? I've just finished my first year, the advantage of a law degree in terms of comparisons is that most students take similar modules over their three years - they are more rigid than other degrees, so bear that in mind. I personally very much enjoyed my first year academically, even though I did find some of the modules and exams to be not as interesting as others.

What are your personal interests?

What university do you go to and what do you want to work in when you graduate?
Reply 5
What university do you go to and what do you want to work in when you graduate?

I attend a non-RG university, and I intend to become a solicitor.
What universities would you be thinking of applying to? Your judgement might become clearer if you decide which unis you like vs those you don't.
Reply 6
Original post by corinium
I attend a non-RG university, and I intend to become a solicitor.
What universities would you be thinking of applying to? Your judgement might become clearer if you decide which unis you like vs those you don't.

im thinking of applying to Warwick, LSE, Durham. Im unsure on the others
Reply 7
i'm afraid your question is far too vague tbh. it's worth doing if you go to a good uni, find a course that suits your skills cuz they aren't all assessed the same, graduate with a good mark, have the ability to memorise a zillion case names and points of law and really, really enjoy reading law. like, really enjoy reading law because you will be required to read a heavy amount just to get a 2:1 - far moreso than other degrees - including some very long academic journals and long-ass judgments if you go to a semi decent school. does that sound like something you want to do or would you rather pursue a degree where it's easier to get a first class mark? what do you want more at the end of the day?
Reply 8
im thinking of applying to Warwick, LSE, Durham. Im unsure on the others

They are all good universities for law. As Jolee mentioned above you will be expected to work very hard, particularly as those unis you mentioned are really at the top of the table for the subject. If you are happy to go through individual points of law over and over again, reading hundreds of pages a day, you will enjoy it.
Reply 9
Original post by Joleee
i'm afraid your question is far too vague tbh. it's worth doing if you go to a good uni, find a course that suits your skills cuz they aren't all assessed the same, graduate with a good mark, have the ability to memorise a zillion case names and points of law and really, really enjoy reading law. like, really enjoy reading law because you will be required to read a heavy amount just to get a 2:1 - far moreso than other degrees - including some very long academic journals and long-ass judgments if you go to a semi decent school. does that sound like something you want to do or would you rather pursue a degree where it's easier to get a first class mark? what do you want more at the end of the day?

Do you read law? and if so at what university?

Hi there,

I hope you're well :smile: I thought I'd chip into this conversation as I currently study Law at UoL.

I absolutely love studying law. However, law is definitely very subjective, in the sense that some people love it, and some people really dislike it - it's really down to the person. What someone finds really enjoyable, might be someone else's worst nightmare (for example, my friend really loved criminal law, but it definitely wasn't one of my favourite subjects). If I were in your shoes, I'd try and get as educated as you can about what studying Law entails, and what is right for you. Try and see if you can get your hands on any textbooks online and have a flick through, chat to current students at the University you're thinking about going to that are doing law, try and get some experience (if you can) in a law firm during summer - these are just some of the things you could do to make sure if studying Law is the right degree for you :smile:

I hope that's given you somethings to think about - don't hesitate to message me if I can help any further :biggrin:

Ana
University of Liverpool Rep.
Reply 11
Original post by University of Liverpool Student Rep
Hi there,

I hope you're well :smile: I thought I'd chip into this conversation as I currently study Law at UoL.

I absolutely love studying law. However, law is definitely very subjective, in the sense that some people love it, and some people really dislike it - it's really down to the person. What someone finds really enjoyable, might be someone else's worst nightmare (for example, my friend really loved criminal law, but it definitely wasn't one of my favourite subjects). If I were in your shoes, I'd try and get as educated as you can about what studying Law entails, and what is right for you. Try and see if you can get your hands on any textbooks online and have a flick through, chat to current students at the University you're thinking about going to that are doing law, try and get some experience (if you can) in a law firm during summer - these are just some of the things you could do to make sure if studying Law is the right degree for you :smile:

I hope that's given you somethings to think about - don't hesitate to message me if I can help any further :biggrin:

Ana

Hi Ana,
Thank you for your advice. If you do not mind me asking what other universities did you apply for as well as UoL?
Hi Ana,
Thank you for your advice. If you do not mind me asking what other universities did you apply for as well as UoL?

They won’t answer that lol
Reply 13
Original post by LawStudent456
They won’t answer that lol

How come lol?
Hi Ana,

Hi, you're very welcome - I'm glad it helped you (even if only a tiny bit!) :smile:

The two university's I firmed were; UOL and Nottingham Trent :biggrin: but I obviously chose UOL and couldn't be happier here.

Ana

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending