The Student Room Group

Question about Btec or a level

I’m considering choosing extended Btec in computer science and creative industries. However I’d i decide down the line this isn’t for me I won’t have any diverse qualifications like a levels to fall on.
Could I get onto a course like law/business/ psychology if I take this BTec . Is it possible to go straight so the degree as I have three a levels or will I have to do a foundation degree in the subject?
BTECs are more practical and vocational in focus than A levels, and many Universities see them as 'not academic enough' for degree level study.

Some top Unis will still accept them but may insist on only BTEC Extended Diploma to give depth of study, or may only accept a 'single subject' BTEC with 2 A levels. Universities that make offers in UCAS points rather than specific grades are usually more relaxed about BTECs but you still need to check carefully with each one before you apply.

For most Psychology degrees you will need a science background or to have done Psych A level. There are exceptions to this - a BTEC Extended Diploma 'in a relevant subject' (such as Health & Social Care) might be accepted instead.

Law usually doesnt require specific subjects but without 3 A levels you will be limiting the Unis you can apply to - and Law is one subject where 'which Uni' does matter.

Business is less picky but it will depend on exactly which degree you want to do (with Management? with Finance?, with Marketing etc) and the type of Uni you want to do it at - and you may need A level Maths.

More advice about choosing 6th Form subjects here - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/a-level/subjects/choosing-your-subjects
Reply 2
Original post by McGinger
BTECs are more practical and vocational in focus than A levels, and many Universities see them as 'not academic enough' for degree level study.

Some top Unis will still accept them but may insist on only BTEC Extended Diploma to give depth of study, or may only accept a 'single subject' BTEC with 2 A levels. Universities that make offers in UCAS points rather than specific grades are usually more relaxed about BTECs but you still need to check carefully with each one before you apply.

For most Psychology degrees you will need a science background or to have done Psych A level. There are exceptions to this - a BTEC Extended Diploma 'in a relevant subject' (such as Health & Social Care) might be accepted instead.

Law usually doesnt require specific subjects but without 3 A levels you will be limiting the Unis you can apply to - and Law is one subject where 'which Uni' does matter.

Business is less picky but it will depend on exactly which degree you want to do (with Management? with Finance?, with Marketing etc) and the type of Uni you want to do it at - and you may need A level Maths.

More advice about choosing 6th Form subjects here - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/a-level/subjects/choosing-your-subjects

Thank you for your reply !
So I cannot study a subject like law since I don’t have three A levels only an extended Btec ( even though it’s equivalent to three)?
Original post by Ieshaivy
Thank you for your reply !
So I cannot study a subject like law since I don’t have three A levels only an extended Btec ( even though it’s equivalent to three)?

Law usually needs A levels (the subjects are unimportant), but universities take all sorts of different qualifications, so it pays to draw up a shortlist and check with each university as to what they would accept. A single BTEC is unlikely to meet the minimum entry requirements for most places though.

Original post by McGinger

No, not really. It depends on the course which the applicant wants to study, rather than a blanket 'universities don't see them as academic enough'. In fact, 95% of universities accept BTEC qualifications, either alone or in combination with A levels/other level 3 qualifications.

Quick Reply

Latest