The Student Room Group

Family stopping me from having the vaccine

They said because its "not safe" & they said people are dying from it and people are getting blood clots from it.

Scroll to see replies

I mean, they can’t actually stop you so 🤷🏼*♀️
Reply 2
Well a very small minority of people die from it but its usually older people. But with all vaccines like flu vaccines there's always a small chance of getting a blood clot for example. Maybe ur family dont want to risk it. May i ask how old r u? Cuz if ur an adult then they cant tell u what to do or don't do
Reply 3
Original post by GabiAbi84
I mean, they can’t actually stop you so 🤷🏼*♀️

They could kick me out

Original post by _Robyn_
Well a very small minority of people die from it but its usually older people. But with all vaccines like flu vaccines there's always a small chance of getting a blood clot for example. Maybe ur family dont want to risk it. May i ask how old r u? Cuz if ur an adult then they cant tell u what to do or don't do

I'm 18
Reply 4
Well no they're not stopping you from going, you're an adult (assumedly), if you want to get the vaccine then get it.

With the fairly safe assumption that you are under 40, you won't be given the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine that has been linked to rare cases of blood clots in younger people, but one of the two approved mRNA vaccines which haven't.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
They could kick me out

Medical records are confidential, they'd only know if you told them
You don't need to tell them.
Go along with what they are saying, you can't change there beliefs.
When you go to get the vaccine, tell then that you are going for a day out. Prehaps go shopping after you've had the vaccine so you don't arouse suspicion.
Their house their rules sadly
Just go to a vaccination drop in centre. They're not going to know.
Reply 9
Original post by Sinnoh
Well no they're not stopping you from going, you're an adult (assumedly), if you want to get the vaccine then get it.

With the fairly safe assumption that you are under 40, you won't be given the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine that has been linked to rare cases of blood clots in younger people, but one of the two approved mRNA vaccines which haven't.

Original post by glassalice
You don't need to tell them.
Go along with what they are saying, you can't change there beliefs.
When you go to get the vaccine, tell then that you are going for a day out. Prehaps go shopping after you've had the vaccine so you don't arouse suspicion.

Thanks, I'll just do that
They said because its "not safe" & they said people are dying from it and people are getting blood clots from it.

you can get it done on walkins now

how the hell would they ever know?
Reply 11
Their house their rules sadly

Don't be daft.
Original post by Sinnoh
Don't be daft.

Its true
Your family are a bunch of idiots
Original post by smallville4eva
you can get it done on walkins now

how the hell would they ever know?

Yeah, I will just do that
If you want to get it move out. Simple
Reply 16
Its true

It's not an unexpected and unneeded act of generosity to shelter your child at home, it's basic human decency and the only moral thing to do if you have a child. And then to try to interfere with their own medical decisions that concern and affect nobody but them now that they're capable of making their own? If you're fine with this, I feel sorry for you.
(edited 2 years ago)
Yeah seems like people have already told you good advice, they'll never know you have got the vaccine. You can also tell them that you got it 10 years later to make them feel silly of course :smile:.
At 18 you are an adult.
Whether to have a covid vaccine and all your other healthcare decisions must be your choice.
It is your health, your body and your life- your adult family members only have the right to decide upon healthcare for themselves.
I've chosen not to have any covid vaccines.

If you want to accept a covid vaccine, you can decide which one you want and book through your GP or a local NHS service without telling your family.
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/coronavirus-vaccination/book-coronavirus-vaccination/
Original post by Sinnoh
It's not an unexpected and unneeded act of generosity to shelter your child at home, it's basic human decency and the only moral thing to do if you have a child. And then to try to interfere with their own medical decisions that concern and affect nobody but them now that they're capable of making their own? If you're fine with this, I feel sorry for you.

Op isnt a child, they are 18 and thats just how it works. Its not OPs house

Quick Reply

Latest