The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Can Trintiy College Dublin get me into Oxbridge?

--
(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by Áilill
Hi,
I'm an 20 y/o Irish student and I've been accepted into Trinity College Dublin and the London School of Econ. LSE was always my first choice but for personal financial reasons I will be unable to go. I'm trying to not despair about this situation and wanted to know how it might affect my "prospects". For example, it's a dream of mine to do my postgrad at Oxbridge, will a first from TCD be enough to give me a fair chance? Would a first from TCD be comparable to a 2:1 from LSE?
Additionally, if my undergrad is at Trinity and my postgrad is at somewhere highly regarded like Oxbridge, Ivy League, LSE etc, will my career be disdvantaged by my TCD undergrad? I aim to have as many doors open as possible

Please let me know what you think

Yes, not an issue at all, provided your grades, references etc are competitive. TCD is a regular route to Oxbridge for PG.
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
I was an undergrad at TCD and I got into Oxbridge for postgrad so yes it is possible, if not a regular occurrence. You can get into Obridge from any university. There are many from TCD that progress on to Oxbridge every year and vice versa, there are Oxbridge people in TCD too. Most lecturers are well used to giving references for Oxbridge too. When in TCD I met students and lecturers who've previously studied or worked, or vice versa progressed onto the brand name universities all over the world; including Oxbridge, LSE, Harvard, UC Berkely, Vanderbilt, Columbia and Bernard, and millions of other examples. Going to TCD, though it is the only sister university to Oxbridge, it doesn't really give you any real advantage to getting in, it is all about grades, experience, references, research interests lining up etc. People who go to Oxbridge for UG level don't get into it for PG level for instance. Fun fact if you go to TCD a few years after you graduate you can pay a fee and get your bachelors upgraded to an MA from TCD or Oxbridge. People who do this are seen as nobs though lol
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Áilill
Hi,
I'm an 20 y/o Irish student and I've been accepted into Trinity College Dublin and the London School of Econ. LSE was always my first choice but for personal financial reasons I will be unable to go. I'm trying to not despair about this situation and wanted to know how it might affect my "prospects". For example, it's a dream of mine to do my postgrad at Oxbridge, will a first from TCD be enough to give me a fair chance? Would a first from TCD be comparable to a 2:1 from LSE?
Additionally, if my undergrad is at Trinity and my postgrad is at somewhere highly regarded like Oxbridge, Ivy League, LSE etc, will my career be disdvantaged by my TCD undergrad? I aim to have as many doors open as possible

Please let me know what you think

Also, I just wanted to say that a 1st from TCD is not comparable to a 2.1. from LSE. A first from TCD is comparable to a first from LSE and a 2:1 is comparable to a 2.1. I've even had people from famous brand name unis, including Oxbridge, say to me that TCD marks harder than other universities and that for those studying abroad in TCD for a year or semester that TCD srewd up their GPA because they marked so hard (In my personal opinion it depends on lecturers, faculties, and the students own ego and sense of entitlement so don't be scared if you choose to go to TCD!).

Honestly, with the exception of some firms that only hire from or do internship programs certain universities such as in Law, Business, and Finance (Which there isn't actually a huge amount of and only relates to very specific career paths (Excluding those that do for geographical reasons because it is the local university to the company such as Dell and NUI Maynooth) TCD or any university in Ireland will open the same doors as any other brand name university as your job prospects usually come down to your individual competitiveness, willingness to proactively job hut combined with your job hunting skills (as in interview, CV and cover letter writing etc. skills) and of course then who you know and how well you network.

I can't speak for the US, but in general academics and admissions officers in the UK, Ireland and Europe (there are always individual snobs of course!) don't care much about university prestige because they understand how ranking systems and university marketing etc. works; aka. it doesn't mean much and doesn't really give a massive indication of the quality of the student. That is what grade transcripts, writing samples, references etc are for. If you care about prestige you could frame your apparent despair in a different way, given you are an Irish person, staying in Trinity that just shows you went to the top university and historically most prestigious in your home country whereas there are cliches that people go to LSE because they didn't get into Oxbridge.
Original post by SaxaDeans
Also, I just wanted to say that a 1st from TCD is not comparable to a 2.1. from LSE. A first from TCD is comparable to a first from LSE and a 2:1 is comparable to a 2.1. I've even had people from famous brand name unis, including Oxbridge, say to me that TCD marks harder than other universities and that for those studying abroad in TCD for a year or semester that TCD srewd up their GPA because they marked so hard (In my personal opinion it depends on lecturers, faculties, and the students own ego and sense of entitlement so don't be scared if you choose to go to TCD!).

Honestly, with the exception of some firms that only hire from or do internship programs certain universities such as in Law, Business, and Finance (Which there isn't actually a huge amount of and only relates to very specific career paths (Excluding those that do for geographical reasons because it is the local university to the company such as Dell and NUI Maynooth) TCD or any university in Ireland will open the same doors as any other brand name university as your job prospects usually come down to your individual competitiveness, willingness to proactively job hut combined with your job hunting skills (as in interview, CV and cover letter writing etc. skills) and of course then who you know and how well you network.

I can't speak for the US, but in general academics and admissions officers in the UK, Ireland and Europe (there are always individual snobs of course!) don't care much about university prestige because they understand how ranking systems and university marketing etc. works; aka. it doesn't mean much and doesn't really give a massive indication of the quality of the student. That is what grade transcripts, writing samples, references etc are for. If you care about prestige you could frame your apparent despair in a different way, given you are an Irish person, staying in Trinity that just shows you went to the top university and historically most prestigious in your home country whereas there are cliches that people go to LSE because they didn't get into Oxbridge.

Thank you for your detailed response, it's very reassuring. I have heard from many people that, as you say, it's much more dependent on the student's quality. I know it's quite entitled to even assume I could achieve a first from TCD and then a master's from Oxbridge, but oh well I'll give it a shot. I am intending to study PPES or history + philosophy at TCD and then something political/environmental at Oxbridge. May I ask what your subjects were?
Original post by Áilill
Thank you for your detailed response, it's very reassuring. I have heard from many people that, as you say, it's much more dependent on the student's quality. I know it's quite entitled to even assume I could achieve a first from TCD and then a master's from Oxbridge, but oh well I'll give it a shot. I am intending to study PPES or history + philosophy at TCD and then something political/environmental at Oxbridge. May I ask what your subjects were?

Sure! I'm Social Policy. It's been 4 years but I probably did a couple of PPES modules myself. Like Introduction to Sociology in the first year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending