The Student Room Group

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

Poll

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

This week and article in the BBC spoke about whether university students could be required to be double vaccinated in time for starting university in the autumn.

University students will get "advance warning" if they are required to have vaccines before moving to halls of residence, Dominic Raab has said. The foreign secretary said decisions will be taken in September - but he was keen to encourage vaccine uptake.
And when asked whether they were planning to require students in university halls to get vaccinated, Mr Raab said: "When we come to the crunch, these decisions will be taken in September. We've got some time to go.
The idea to make vaccines compulsory for university students - either to attend lectures or to live in halls of residence - was not ruled out by either education minister Vicky Ford or Downing Street when asked about it earlier this week. "We are still looking at the scope for vaccination certifications," a No 10 spokesman said on Monday.
(article)

If you're starting or returning to university in the autumn, what do you think?

Moderation note:
Please always refer to the NHS website for the most up-to-date advice relating to COVID-19 and vaccination programmes. Neither this thread, nor the BBC article, identify any current vaccine requirement for university students.
This thread is intended to discuss how a double-jab requirement would impact their uni experience, not as a space to debate (including debating the existence of COVID-19 or the validity of the vaccine).
Please ensure all posts are kept within TSR's community guidelines.
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

If you're in England you can book your vaccine (or find a walk in centre) here: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/coronavirus-vaccination/

The booking system is still not set up for people who are within 3 months of their 18th birthday but it should be soon.
Its now clear that the government is considering mandatory vaccinations to access certain things such as nightclubs, and perhaps even certain areas of student activities.

I think it is clear that covid & university halls of residence do not mix well, last year you were only supposed to be able to do rule of 6 outdoors, but it soon became apparent covid was running rife (and this was the original Wuhan Strain). I think we may see a similar uptick this year with the delta variant and lack of social restrictions. It is a very difficult position because the vaccinations are working wonders however they are not perfect and their is still a very large unvaccinated population in the under 30s (which is the student demographic).

Im not sure how I feel about the government 'forcing' vaccines on people but I am ok with organisations & universities mandating it for things such as if you want to live in halls. I would go further, it would be great if universities did require vaccines to access the university/SU sponsored social events; I think the government should use leverage & influence to encourage universities to adopt this policy (ideally before results day, but I think the news will drop last minute)

Now I would still have a vaccine opt out pathway, something like mandatory 2/3 covid tests every week if you are unvaccinated & in halls or on campus (and it would be needed anyway as it is quickly becoming too late for students to get both doses). I also would like to see universities having pop-up vaccination centres at registration/freshers fair that would be a really good way to encourage uptake.
Original post by mnot
I also would like to see universities having pop-up vaccination centres at registration/freshers fair that would be a really good way to encourage uptake.

I suspect that will happen - there were a few pop-up centres set up in universities by local public health authorities in June when availability was widened to all over 18s - unfortunately they missed the boat and most students had finished for the year.

Pop-ups and walk-ins will work well if students have their first dose at home and are ready for their second dose too :yes:
I feel that the wording Raab is using is misleading. He talks specifically about “students in halls”, but what about students not in halls? Realistically, I can’t see them enforcing one rule for students living in university accommodation and another rule for those who are not.

I am also of the opinion that the government doesn’t have a trust worthy record and so think that whatever decision they reach, they’ll execute it in the most shambolic way possible which will lead to chaos and confusion nearer the time.
(edited 2 years ago)
Having my eldests flat come down with covid 3rd week of October, everyone thought it would not do the rounds again, but it did, and although her flat was super careful, her neighbours who had it in October had caught it twice. I also have workmates in their twenties who are not jabbed almost hospitalized because of it.
Given that, I do not think it should not be made mandatory, just because some cannot have it for health reasons or afraid of needles etc. I think a better approach should be used.
Lectures with a mask on? Same for library. Perhaps half lecture/half online approach (and alternated) so people can socially distance? Or even have the choice of regular testing on the unvaccinated/vaccinated = in person teaching. if you refuse to be vaccinated and also refuse to get tested regular then to have online lectures on lecture capture.
Imo it should be mandatory unless medical exemption. If that it the case then online learning or in person with extra safeguarded precautions for that person like wear double masks or hazelmat or something.

Anyone who don’t want to be vaccinated stay and learn online.
Original post by 𝓖𝓱𝓸𝓼𝓽𝓵𝓪𝓭𝔂
Having my eldests flat come down with covid 3rd week of October, everyone thought it would not do the rounds again, but it did, and although her flat was super careful, her neighbours who had it in October had caught it twice. I also have workmates in their twenties who are not jabbed almost hospitalized because of it.
Given that, I do not think it should not be made mandatory, just because some cannot have it for health reasons or afraid of needles etc. I think a better approach should be used.
Lectures with a mask on? Same for library. Perhaps half lecture/half online approach (and alternated) so people can socially distance? Or even have the choice of regular testing on the unvaccinated/vaccinated = in person teaching. if you refuse to be vaccinated and also refuse to get tested regular then to have online lectures on lecture capture.

The afraid of needles is a load of BS. Just lool away. It actually doesn’t hurt.
I saw someone say that the government is not actually going to impose vaccinations on students they are just trying extra hard to persuade them. Plus it is 8 weeks between jabs if they were going to make it compulsory they would have to act pretty soon.
Original post by Anonymous
The afraid of needles is a load of BS. Just lool away. It actually doesn’t hurt.

Don't they even give you medication to calm your nerves?
Original post by BlinkyBill
This week and article in the BBC spoke about whether university students could be required to be double vaccinated in time for starting university in the autumn.

University students will get "advance warning" if they are required to have vaccines before moving to halls of residence, Dominic Raab has said. The foreign secretary said decisions will be taken in September - but he was keen to encourage vaccine uptake.
And when asked whether they were planning to require students in university halls to get vaccinated, Mr Raab said: "When we come to the crunch, these decisions will be taken in September. We've got some time to go.
The idea to make vaccines compulsory for university students - either to attend lectures or to live in halls of residence - was not ruled out by either education minister Vicky Ford or Downing Street when asked about it earlier this week. "We are still looking at the scope for vaccination certifications," a No 10 spokesman said on Monday.
(article)

If you're starting or returning to university in the autumn, what do you think?

Moderation note:
Please always refer to the NHS website for the most up-to-date advice relating to COVID-19 and vaccination programmes. Neither this thread, nor the BBC article, identify any current vaccine requirement for university students.
This thread is intended to discuss how a double-jab requirement would impact their uni experience, not as a space to debate (including debating the existence of COVID-19 or the validity of the vaccine).
Please ensure all posts are kept within TSR's community guidelines.

I don’t think it should be mandatory for the pure reason that with the current wait times between vaccines, it would be impossible for someone who is as yet unvaccinated to be double jabbed by mid September.
If they were required at a later point (eg to return after Christmas) that would be more reasonable and realistic
I've already had my first dose without medication, I was just wondering :colonhash:.

I don’t think they do.
It reduces the symptoms and risk of the virus giving you serious illness or needing hospital treatment.
Reply 13
Yes, you can still get the virus but the effect it has on you is lessened (eg flu like symptoms but not severe enough to require hospitalisation - does that make sense? 😕)

Yes, you can still pass it on, but you are much less likely to, because there’s ‘less’ of it in your system.

So I reckon vaccinating students won’t be 100% foolproof but is better than not if we want in-person teaching.
Hearing something countless times doesn't make it true. For example "football's coming home".

Here is a study of the data following the Phizer vaccine in Israel:
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(21)00947-8/fulltext

Main Point

I'd ask you to be considerate about how accurate the information in your post is, as there may be many people reading it who misunderstand and think they should not take the vaccine when it may be beneficial for them to do so.

In terms of university attendance, studies like the one I linked show that increased vaccination reduces transmission (reduces, not eliminates) - making university campuses safer than they otherwise would be.
Original post by Mesopotamian.
I feel that the wording Raab is using is misleading. He talks specifically about “students in halls”, but what about students not in halls? Realistically, I can’t see them enforcing one rule for students living in university accommodation and another rule for those who are not.

@Mesopotamian - I just don't see how universities can enforce rules for students living in private accommodation as unlike halls, they don't own them.

I totally agree with Anonymous and I say this as someone with a phobia of needles. I have done everything I can in life to avoid needles and refused flu vaccinations etc because of that fear but had to man up when it came to being vaccinated against covid and it really wasn't bad at all - nothing like when needles are used to take blood which is genuinely painful in my opinion.
Other - I'm sick of the milquetoast complaints and that we've allowed trolling to become a valid form of both expression and government. They can get vaccinated or stay home imo.
Original post by harrysbar
@Mesopotamian - I just don't see how universities can enforce rules for students living in private accommodation as unlike halls, they don't own them.

I totally agree with Anonymous and I say this as someone with a phobia of needles. I have done everything I can in life to avoid needles and refused flu vaccinations etc because of that fear but had to man up when it came to being vaccinated against covid and it really wasn't bad at all - nothing like when needles are used to take blood which is genuinely painful in my opinion.

Good on you for standing up to your fear.

To anyone else worried about the needle: it is the tiniest of pricks and it's done before you can finish a breath. Don't let it get in the way of something potentially far worse.

Edit: While I support the requirement for double vaccination, I feel the vaccine needed to have been offered to all 17 year olds already if it was going to be a realistic expectation.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Steve H
Good on you for standing up to your fear.

To anyone else worried about the needle: it is the tiniest of pricks and it's done before you can finish a breath. Don't let it get in the way of something potentially far worse.

Edit: While I support the requirement for double vaccination, I feel the vaccine needed to have been offered to all 17 year olds already if it was going to be a realistic expectation.

Thank you and I agree with your edit - it should be opened up to all 17 year olds now in my opinion.
Original post by harrysbar
Thank you and I agree with your edit - it should be opened up to all 17 year olds now in my opinion.

Technically it is (or at least those within 3 months of their 18 birthday).

The clinical guidelines changed on the 22 July but the system that coordinates the actual delivery of vaccines hasn’t been updated yet.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending