The Student Room Group

Clearing

sorry accident
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

What’s the question and did you intend to post this in the dentistry forum?
Reply 2
Original post by Mesopotamian.
What’s the question and did you intend to post this in the dentistry forum?

Do you think there would be more or less places available this year for dentistry clearing?
Original post by xcxvb1234
Do you think there would be more or less places available this year for dentistry clearing?

I don’t think it will vary much. Dentistry very rarely goes into clearing and most dental schools never do because they operate waiting lists. Pinning your hopes on clearing is a fruitless idea.
Reply 4
I don’t think it will vary much. Dentistry very rarely goes into clearing and most dental schools never do because they operate waiting lists. Pinning your hopes on clearing is a fruitless idea.

what if i get the grades or exceed the requirements and ring unis that i applied to on results day and ask if they’d reconsider me is there a possibility there?
Reply 5

thank you! Do you think there is a chance of getting in if I am on the waiting list (will places become available due to TAGs?)
Original post by Ah39242
what if i get the grades or exceed the requirements and ring unis that i applied to on results day and ask if they’d reconsider me is there a possibility there?

You can try this, yes. There have been rare reports of this working previously, but again, it’s a very slim chance.
thank you! Do you think there is a chance of getting in if I am on the waiting list (will places become available due to TAGs?)

Yes, depending on how high up you are on the waiting list and how many people lose their offers on the day. I received my offer via a waiting list on results day.
(edited 2 years ago)
You can try this, yes. There have been rare reports of this working previously, but again, it’s a very slim chance.

Yes, depending on how high up you are on the waiting list and how many people lose their offers on the day. I received my offer via a waiting list on results day.

what is clearing?
Original post by Wise Goldie
what is clearing?

Clearing is a part of UCAS where students who have no offers or choose to decline all their offers can find another university course which they’d like to take in the coming academic year through the pool of available courses in clearing. Does that make sense? :smile:
Reply 9

Oh that's great to hear, as I am on the waiting list for King's. If I achieve the required grades, do I contact them or would they contact me when places become available. Would it be better to call them or message through their applicants portal which I am on?
Oh that's great to hear, as I am on the waiting list for King's. If I achieve the required grades, do I contact them or would they contact me when places become available. Would it be better to call them or message through their applicants portal which I am on?

They will contact you if they decide to give you an offer.
Reply 11
They will contact you if they decide to give you an offer.

Would they automatically know my grades through UCAS or do I need to let them know?
Would they automatically know my grades through UCAS or do I need to let them know?

They will know automatically via UCAS. You don’t do anything at all. I forgot I was even on the waiting list until I received an email about the offer.
Reply 13
They will know automatically via UCAS. You don’t do anything at all. I forgot I was even on the waiting list until I received an email about the offer.

ok thank you!
ok thank you!

No problem, and good luck :smile:
Reply 15

Also do you know which unis usually open for clearing for dent/med from previous years? Thanks
Also do you know which unis usually open for clearing for dent/med from previous years? Thanks

I’ve only heard of someone gaining a place at Birmingham through clearing.
Edit: didn’t see the “med” part of your statement. My answer is specifically for dentistry.
(edited 2 years ago)
Clearing is a part of UCAS where students who have no offers or choose to decline all their offers can find another university course which they’d like to take in the coming academic year through the pool of available courses in clearing. Does that make sense? :smile:

so like if you fail to get in uni you get a second chance too?
Original post by Wise Goldie
so like if you fail to get in uni you get a second chance too?

Sometimes it’s if someone doesn’t get the right grades to go to their original uni, but sometimes it’s also if people change their minds and they want to go to another university or do another course.

Note that for medicine it's a wider range of unis that appear in clearing; SGUL I think is fairly regularly in there I believe, and some others have been in the past.

For medicine clearing queries I would recommend you check out this thread:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6915438 which is updated regularly with those medical schools in clearing and is a good hub for any questions to be asked in :smile:

Obligatory note: you really should make a concrete decision between medicine and dentistry and wholeheartedly pursue one or the other, rather than trying your luck with whichever you can get into.

Quick Reply

Latest