The Student Room Group

Access to nursing

Hi I am 41 and have applied for nursing degree .I have Polish A level (the grades are not great) and degree in Pedagoggy. Derby Uni offered me interview but I don’t think I will take it because I am thinking to do access to nursing first .I was in education about 20 years ago and I don’t feel confident enough .Do you think access to nursing can help me ?could I have an advice please ?
Original post by Joanna39
Hi I am 41 and have applied for nursing degree .I have Polish A level (the grades are not great) and degree in Pedagoggy. Derby Uni offered me interview but I don’t think I will take it because I am thinking to do access to nursing first .I was in education about 20 years ago and I don’t feel confident enough .Do you think access to nursing can help me ?could I have an advice please ?

Hi @Joanna39 I teach on Access Diploma's. The feedback has always been that students have felt much more confident on their degree because they learn how to write academically and reference their work when completing the Access Diploma. I do know that Universities offer study support so you could always consider attending your interview and seeing what support is on offer from the university too and tell them about your concerns and maybe that will help make up up your mind about either going straight onto a degree or onto an Access Diploma. Hope this helps and good luck! Kind regards The Infused Team
(edited 2 years ago)
Hi,I am 31 also a mature student, in a very similar situation. I have the equivalent of A levels and a bachelors in Sociology from 2011. Called the Uni for the Adult Nursing course and they required an access course in health and social care and a GCSE in math. Looking to do this starting september this year. I'll be happy to share with you what I know so far about this.
Original post by poshwizzard
Hi,I am 31 also a mature student, in a very similar situation. I have the equivalent of A levels and a bachelors in Sociology from 2011. Called the Uni for the Adult Nursing course and they required an access course in health and social care and a GCSE in math. Looking to do this starting september this year. I'll be happy to share with you what I know so far about this.

@poshwizzard Good luck :-) Here is the link to approved Access to HE Providers https://www.accesstohe.ac.uk//en/course-search and make sure you ask which units you will be studying to make sure they are ones you are happy with as they can vary from provider to provider. Kind regards The Infused Team
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Infused_Learning
@poshwizzard Good luck :-) Here is the link to approved Access to HE Providers https://www.accesstohe.ac.uk//en/course-search and make sure you ask which units you will be studying to make sure they are ones you are happy with as they can vary from provider to provider. Kind regards Tara

Hi Tara,
Many thanks for the reply. Just got the course today at Stonebridge Access to Nursing. I'll see how it goes, it's a lot to process right now. They seem ok for what I need. Uni requested to have at least 30 of the 45 credits at level 3 in Science or Health Subject. Stonebridge said that they offer that. I'll keep you guys posted about the progress. Many thanks
Reply 5
Original post by Infused_Learning
Hi @Joanna39 I teach on Access Diploma's. The feedback has always been that students have felt much more confident on their degree because they learn how to write academically and reference their work when completing the Access Diploma. I do know that Universities offer study support so you could always consider attending your interview and seeing what support is on offer from the university too and tell them about your concerns and maybe that will help make up up your mind about either going straight onto a degree or onto an Access Diploma. Hope this helps and good luck! Kind regards Tara

Thank you so much Tara for great advice🙂
Reply 6

Thank you and good luck🙂
Reply 7

Are you Polish?
Are you Polish?

Hi Joanna. I am not polish, sorry. Good luck to you too!
Hi Tara,
Many thanks for the reply. Just got the course today at Stonebridge Access to Nursing. I'll see how it goes, it's a lot to process right now. They seem ok for what I need. Uni requested to have at least 30 of the 45 credits at level 3 in Science or Health Subject. Stonebridge said that they offer that. I'll keep you guys posted about the progress. Many thanks

@poshwizzard Fantastic! Good luck with it all :-)

@Joanna39
Hello! I have a degree in Sociology and teach on an Access to HE Nursing program!

I've taught about 250 or so students over the years, and the age range on access is typically about 19 to 45, although we have had some students that are older. The modules that will be most useful would be Health Sciences and Human Biology. There will be a social science too which is probably Health Studies, and your background in Sociology will give you an enormous advantage as social class, ethnicity, gender, and social policy are key themes for alot of the unit's. I am sure that you would do amazing!!! Remember for an Access course you can take out an advanced learner loan and once you complete your nursing degree, the bill for the entire year of Access studying is completely written off

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
Reply 11
Original post by Arden University
@Joanna39
Hello! I have a degree in Sociology and teach on an Access to HE Nursing program!

I've taught about 250 or so students over the years, and the age range on access is typically about 19 to 45, although we have had some students that are older. The modules that will be most useful would be Health Sciences and Human Biology. There will be a social science too which is probably Health Studies, and your background in Sociology will give you an enormous advantage as social class, ethnicity, gender, and social policy are key themes for alot of the unit's. I am sure that you would do amazing!!! Remember for an Access course you can take out an advanced learner loan and once you complete your nursing degree, the bill for the entire year of Access studying is completely written off

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador

Thank you soo much Marc for fantastic advice

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending