The Student Room Group

Is it worth getting all the vaccines?

I am 21, born in the UK. I haven't taken a single vaccine in my life. I'm about to start university and it seems they want me to take the vaccines I've missed out on: 2 doses of MMR and Me nACWY. Plus I'm sure I'll be encouraged to take the COVID doses.

I'm not fond of the idea of taking the vaccines considering I've remained healthy throughout my life and have never been seriously ill.

So, would you think its wise to take them or is there any point?

Scroll to see replies

everyone is in good health until they become ill.
Yes, especially MMR and ACWY. Those are quite nasty diseases you'll be more likely to catch in uni.
Reply 3
Yes it is please do it
Is it a requirement of your uni course or accomodation provider that you be fully vaccinated? :confused:
If so, they won't change their stance or accept any non-compliance unless there is a medical exemption involved.

If it is just informal advice or a casual recommendation, then it is up to you to decide whether you are willing to have those vaccines.
Your body, your health, your life and your right to choose.
Trust your gut instinct and listen to what your feelings are telling you.
The only vaccine that I've had is the polio one as a child, I'm very unlikely to ever have any more.
Reply 5
Original post by the bear
everyone is in good health until they become ill.

Can't argue with that.
Reply 6
Original post by londonmyst
Is it a requirement of your uni course or accomodation provider that you be fully vaccinated? :confused:
If so, they won't change their stance or accept any non-compliance unless there is a medical exemption involved.

If it is just informal advice or a casual recommendation, then it is up to you to decide whether you are willing to have those vaccines.
The only vaccine that I've had is the polio one as a child, I'm very unlikely to ever have any more.

According to their wording, it is edging towards mandatory, rather than advisory. I'll probably just take them if they confront me about it. I'm not much of a protester.
Reply 7
Original post by Vapordave
Yes, especially MMR and ACWY. Those are quite nasty diseases you'll be more likely to catch in uni.

Fair enough lad.
Original post by Anonymous
I am 21, born in the UK. I haven't taken a single vaccine in my life. I'm about to start university and it seems they want me to take the vaccines I've missed out on: 2 doses of MMR and Me nACWY. Plus I'm sure I'll be encouraged to take the COVID doses.

I'm not fond of the idea of taking the vaccines considering I've remained healthy throughout my life and have never been seriously ill.

this is easy.... YES.

"have never been seriously ill." and you don't want to be, especially something like meningitis.

generally, your contributions on TSR are insightful, helpful, well-meaning and intelligent. i agree with you on so, so many different things, so i don't know where this anti-vax business comes from with you. you are essentially telling someone who is not even a full adult to trust their own instincts over medical advice from highly experienced healthcare professionals - your life will eventually be in their hands.

i will say that your posts on this issue are likely to do harm to people. TSR bans people from daring to go against the orthodox dogma of gender identity theory, but instead what they should in fact be focusing on is things like not allowing dangerous advice to be given to youngsters

please reconsider your position on this as i do hugely appreciate your presence and contributions to TSR!
(edited 2 years ago)

When do uni’s tell you that?
Original post by A Rolling Stone
this is easy.... YES.

"have never been seriously ill." and you don't want to be, especially something like meningitis.

Alright, I'll take on your advice. Thanks.
generally, your contributions on TSR are insightful, helpful, well-meaning and intelligent. i agree with you on so, so many different things, so i don't know where this anti-vax business comes from with you. you are essentially telling someone who is not even a full adult to trust their own instincts over medical advice from highly experienced healthcare professionals - your life will eventually be in their hands.

i will say that your posts on this issue are likely to do harm to people. TSR bans people from daring to go against the orthodox dogma of gender identity theory, but instead what they should in fact be focusing on is things like not allowing dangerous advice to be given to youngsters

please reconsider your position on this as i do hugely appreciate your presence and contributions to TSR!

OP has written that they are 21 years old.
My parents are anti-vaxxers, I am not.

She wasn’t being anti vax, she was just saying that if they feel they should take it then they should take it. If anything people like you should be banned for trying to force/guilt trip people into taking it. She’s just making sure the person is comfortable with taking it and are taking it because they want to
Original post by Anonymous

I highly recommend it.

I have family members abroad who didn't have the chance to get vaccinated die of COVID over the past year. Not all of them had conditions that would make COVID worse either - some were young and healthy. A couple of cousins in the 25-35 range died and left their kids without a parent. Even my family that did get COVID highly recommend that others get vaccinated because they don't want others to go through the same experience.

I'd recommend getting the other vaccines too. It's better to be safe than sorry.
(edited 2 years ago)
Noted, thanks la.
Original post by Ten-Ten
She wasn’t being anti vax, she was just saying that if they feel they should take it then they should take it. If anything people like you should be banned for trying to force/guilt trip people into taking it. She’s just making sure the person is comfortable with taking it and are taking it because they want to

i'm not trying to force or guilt trip the OP, but simply parroting advice that any PROFESSIONAL healthcare professional would give which is to accept vaccines that are offered to you.
Original post by Jgradschool
I highly recommend it.

I have family members abroad who didn't have the chance to get vaccinated die of COVID over the past year. Not all of them had conditions that would make COVID worse either - some were young and healthy. A couple of cousins in the 25-35 range died and left their kids without a parent. Even my family that did get COVID highly recommend that others get vaccinated because they don't want others to go through the same experience.

I'd recommend getting the other vaccines too. It's better to be safe than sorry.

I am sorry for your losses, I'll certianly take heed. Thanks.
for some reason i skipped straight to "i'm about to start university" and skipped that the OP is 21 years old :bigsmile: still though
i'm not trying to force or guilt trip the OP, but simply parroting advice that any PROFESSIONAL healthcare professional would give which is to accept vaccines that are offered to you.

They didn’t hire you to be a parrot tho. Yes its recommended to take the vaccines but it’s not by force they should take it, and Londonmyst shouldn’t be criticised for reminding op of that
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest