The Student Room Group

HELP which uni

Hi all! I've finally narrowed down my options for which law school to attend. However I can't decide between Exeter, Southampton and Kent. They are all so great!

I'm leaning towards Southampton because it's a Russel Group Uni. But, does the reputation of a uk uni matter if I'm coming back to practice in Canada?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Exeter is your best choice, Southampton is terrible.
Original post by itssummertime96
Hi all! I've finally narrowed down my options for which law school to attend. However I can't decide between Exeter, Southampton and Kent. They are all so great!

I'm leaning towards Southampton because it's a Russel Group Uni. But, does the reputation of a uk uni matter if I'm coming back to practice in Canada?

Hello! I am a current student at the University of Kent!

The decision is entirely your choice and you should really pick a place that you love all I urge is that you look over each of the courses modules and look for what stands out to you! I took the liberty of linking the course below for ease of access. It is important to remember that at Kent you will be able to choose your own module(s) in your 2nd and 3rd year. In the 2nd year, you can either choose a 30 cred or 2 x 15 cred modules.
https://www.kent.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/177/law

You will also have an amazing support staff behind you who will aid you in your course throughout the three years. Each essay you hand in will be marked and be given detailed feedback on things you need to improve on and everything that you have done well. You will also be given an academic advisor who will be a lecturer from your course to whom you can raise any concerns or contact if you're just needing advice.

If location is something that will play an effect where you go Canterbury has so much to offer! There is so much to do within the town, such as nightclubs (that host an array of events from drag to magic acts), Bowling, Lazer tag, beaches, restaurants, boat rides, we also just have some beautiful parks for a picnic. So you will always find some way to enjoy your time! You can also take a virtual walk around campus by clicking this link! - https://www.kent.ac.uk/hospitality/virtual-tours/student/

Please in you have any further questions do not hesitate to ask!

- Dale
Russel group just means postgrad research intensity. Many great unis are non Postgrad (St Andrews, Baths, Aberdeen, Loughborough, UEA etc).

RG means lecturers will spend less time teaching you and more time on research, but all the unis you mentioned are good but student satisfaction rankings are the best indication of how well you might like the uni
You have until Jan 2022 to make this decision.
You get 5 choices - and you can't make any decisions until you actually get an offer.

How to Avoid 5 Rejections - read it all - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/apply/how-to-avoid-getting-five-university-rejections
Reply 5
no, the reputation of a UK uni does not matter if you're going back to Canada unless you go to a name brand like Cambridge or Oxford. a Canadian firm will not know what an RG uni is or the difference between Exeter, Southampton or Kent.

Exeter is also RG and the best of those three :smile:
Thanks everyone for the advice! I took Kent out of my options now it is between Exeter and Southampton. Both are really good unis, I'm having a hard time deciding. I've heard Exeter is not ethically diverse though, being a minority would it be hard to fit in?
Original post by random_matt
Exeter is your best choice, Southampton is terrible.

Any specific reason to why Southampton is terrible that you would like to share?
Thanks everyone for the advice! I took Kent out of my options now it is between Exeter and Southampton. Both are really good unis, I'm having a hard time deciding. I've heard Exeter is not ethically diverse though, being a minority would it be hard to fit in?

Exeter was ranked the worst for BME intake https://thetab.com/uk/2017/08/31/russell-group-unis-have-a-serious-diversity-problem-these-are-the-ones-with-the-fewest-bme-students-46742 at less than 10%

I don't know why this would affect you 'fitting in' though.
Any specific reason to why Southampton is terrible that you would like to share?

Exeter is better for Law, end of. BME intake? I'll admit I pretty much only ever saw white middle aged kids, but that is more or less true for all high ranking universities. Kent is the complete opposite if that metric is really important to you.
Exeter!! No contest!
Original post by LawStudent456
Exeter was ranked the worst for BME intake https://thetab.com/uk/2017/08/31/russell-group-unis-have-a-serious-diversity-problem-these-are-the-ones-with-the-fewest-bme-students-46742 at less than 10%

I don't know why this would affect you 'fitting in' though.

When I say fitting in, I mean would it be difficult making friends being a person of colour? As I would assume it would be difficult as majority of people are Caucasian.
When I say fitting in, I mean would it be difficult making friends being a person of colour? As I would assume it would be difficult as majority of people are Caucasian.

Why would your skin colour matter?

As long as you behave as if there's no difference why would anyone else act as if there was. You will find that uni is a great leveler. Everyone is out of their family/boarding school environment for the first time. They have other things to worry about and so will you. Just go and have fun!

Why would you assume that? Pretty bizarre.

Hey, I'm in a similar situation to yourself. If I was in your place I would definitely go for Exeter. Regardless I believe there are 6 modules the NCA requires you to complete before you can take the bar exam in Canada. Generally these courses can take 2-3 years to complete and cost about $200 CAD each. I would look at the elective courses offered at the university you will be attending, as some of them offer Canadian modules. This way you save money and time when you return. But definitely ensure that your marks are a high 2:1 or 1st, the NCA will look at your marks carefully. Best of luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending