The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

Media and communication course

Hi. Can anyone tell me if the Media and communication course at Loughborough uni is solely theory based or if you get practical experience as well. I am interested in digital media and wondered if this is the best course for me.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Lukelochinger
Hi. Can anyone tell me if the Media and communication course at Loughborough uni is solely theory based or if you get practical experience as well. I am interested in digital media and wondered if this is the best course for me.

Hello Lukelochinger,

I am Tia, a final year BA (Hons) Communication and Media student at Bournemouth University. I also looked at Loughborough university and was really torn between there and BU, but ended up going with Bournemouth. I can't speak for Loughborough but while a lot of the course is quite theory based, we do a lot of practical elements too, including a lot of things around digital media, such as making blogs and creating social media campaigns. If you're interested you can see the course and the unit options here: https://www.bournemouth.ac.uk/study/courses/ba-hons-communication-media-foundation-year-option. I would recommend looking on Loughborough's website to see if they have the units with a description on there or a programme specification and you will be able to see what each unit involves.

I hope this has helped, Tia :smile:
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Original post by Lukelochinger

Hi @Lukelochinger,

Our Media and Communication BSc course will give you hands-on training in social scientific analytical skills relevant to a variety of jobs in media and cultural industries, such as social media analysis, interviewing, focus groups, content analysis, surveys, and industry and audience data analysis.

If you were unable to attend our Virtual Open Day last month, the pages are still live so check out the videos, presentations and taster lectures here. All of our undergraduate courses have the option of a placement year where you can gain valuable real-life work experience.

Hope this helps :h:
Bindu
Hi there,

As a media and communications student at the University of Coventry. At Coventry, I would estimate that the course is 70% theory-based. I cannot, however, speak for Loughborough. However, I've just arrived at their website, which states that you'll receive hands-on training in social scientific analytical skills applicable to a range of jobs in the media and cultural industries.
That is incredible!

Kylie Ng
Student Ambassador
Media and Communication
Coventry University

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending