The Student Room Group

what would you have had the best chance of winning an Olympic medal?

football for myself.
Reply 1
level of football in olympics is so whack though

id try to go for something harder like swimming/wrestling
I think I'd have a good shot at field hockey or softball.
Swimming or Volleyball
(edited 2 years ago)
Nowhere: I am too bad for an amateur to compare myself with athletes at this level. Not to mention the pros at the olympics.
Original post by Kallisto
Nowhere: I am too bad for an amateur to compare myself with athletes at this level. Not to mention the pros at the olympics.

Technically I think all the Olympics athletes are "amateur" athletes rather than "professional" athletes because there is some clause or something for eligibility requiring they not get paid for their sporting activity or something? But that is maybe just semantics xD

I think I could contest a medal in Olympic sitting, but that isn't a sport yet :wink:

edit: loafing and lounging! that's what I'd medal in :biggrin:
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by artful_lounger
Technically I think all the Olympics athletes are "amateur" athletes rather than "professional" athletes because there is some clause or something for eligibility requiring they not get paid for their sporting activity or something? But that is maybe just semantics xD

I think I could contest a medal in Olympic sitting, but that isn't a sport yet :wink:

Some sports at the olympics have pros (football, tennis and golf for instance), some don't. That is what is annoying me all the time. The olympics as a competition for the best and rising amateurs on the road to the professional makes more sense than to let the (experienced) professionals play.
Not an Olympic sport yet but any form of racing / go-karting I’d back myself.

Original post by artful_lounger

In some cases yes, others not. In football the GB players are all professional players playing in different leagues around the world for the Women’s, but for the men’s they have age restrictions so mostly younger players feature.

Then you have sports like tennis where it’s all professionals, but boxing it’s just amateurs (although some professionals has started returning but have to go through an amateur qualification).

But then in sports like gymnastics and table tennis etc it’s just the best vs the best and all the best players to, which is a contrast to let’s say tennis or golf where players value Grand Slams / Majors over the Olympics, whereas in the other sports the Olympics are the biggest achievement
(edited 2 years ago)
sleeping
Reply 9
supping
I can do a cartwheel, so technically that makes me a gymnast, right?
Trampolining despite almost breaking my neck on multiple ocassions
Reply 12
Foosball.

It's not an Olympic sport but it should be.

Here's a YouTube video from the 2019 World Foosball Championships.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThLqTam6MKE&t=22371s

Women's national team final at 6hr 16mins.
Men's national team final at 9hrs 18mins.
(edited 2 years ago)
Women's boxing.
Skateboarding.
I think my best chance would have been in Town Planning. John Hughes won the gold medal for GB at the 1932 games.
Original post by Sabertooth
Skateboarding.

You are using a skateboard even in a real life, wow, that is really cool. You must be very good in it when you believe in a medal.

Quick Reply

Latest