The Student Room Group

People assuming my religion based off my name?

It turns out that a lot of Muslims have the same name as me but it is also common in places like Russia and in the Jewish religion. I grew up Muslim but don't think of myself as one now as I don't feel like I know enough about the religion and have a lot of questions. I find it really awkward when people assume that I am a Muslim because I don't know if I should correct them or not. I know that people will look down on me as a 'deviant' or 'ex-Muslim (which are thought of to be very bad things amongst most Muslims I know) as my family are Muslim and I worry about their reaction. It's honestly easier to just let them assume. I usually just don't say anything and let them assume when someone much older than me asks because I worry that they'll judge me etc. I have no problems with Islam itself and think it's a wonderful religion, I just don't like that people automatically assume that I am Muslim even before they have met me, they don't even ask and feel that it puts me in a difficult situation because older people are also likely to ask for details about my name and family.

Has anyone else been in this situation and did you correct them or not?
Apparently I "look muslim" so I have the same problem sometimes. Unless the conversation is about religion I wouldn't correct them. There's no point.
What’s ur name
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Apparently I "look muslim" so I have the same problem sometimes. Unless the conversation is about religion I wouldn't correct them. There's no point.

It really is a difficult situation. That's basically how I feel too about the situation
Nah man, whats the point? If they're gonna assume it, let them. Does it really bother you though? A lot? Because if it does, then you can politely correct them, because if something is on your mind, you should let it off your chest.
Same, my name is from a country that’s mostly muslim (it’s a different pronunciation of a regular muslim name) so when anyone hears my name they know where i’m from especially if they’re from there too and that makes me muslim automatically. I grew up muslim but am agnostic now i think.
Reply 6
Nah man, whats the point? If they're gonna assume it, let them. Does it really bother you though? A lot? Because if it does, then you can politely correct them, because if something is on your mind, you should let it off your chest.

I think I mainly worry that I'll end up having to correct them later down the line which I worry will be worse/ harder than having to correct them at the beginning. It's not the assumption that bothers me much, it's their potential reaction if they eventually realise
Reply 7
Same, my name is from a country that’s mostly muslim (it’s a different pronunciation of Ta regular muslim name) so when anyone hears my name they know where i’m from especially if they’re from there too and that makes me muslim automatically. I grew up muslim but am agnostic now i think.

That's literally the same as me haha, I now believe that God exists but don't believe in a particular religion
That's literally the same as me haha, I now believe that God exists but don't believe in a particular religion

When did you first realise you weren’t muslim? I remember reading into islam when i was 15 then i left but i was too scared of hell so i came back a few months later. Now 3 years later i’ve done a lot more research into islam and ik i don’t believe in it but i’m still in that weird stage where ik i don’t believe it/feel like i’m agnostic but still too scared to say i’m not muslim.
change ur name then to bob or jack then
What’s ur name

I'm guessing Mohammed.
When did you first realise you weren’t muslim? I remember reading into islam when i was 15 then i left but i was too scared of hell so i came back a few months later. Now 3 years later i’ve done a lot more research into islam and ik i don’t believe in it but i’m still in that weird stage where ik i don’t believe it/feel like i’m agnostic but still too scared to say i’m not muslim.

It was during the first lockdown for me, I realised that there are way too many things which those at my local mosque haven't been able to answer but they still tell me to believe because we can't always understand God, it wasn't enough for me. You could technically make up any religion and sell it based on that idea. Also I don't understand why a loving God would care so much about people believing in the right religion, there are Muslim people who are horrible and non-muslims people who are really good people. There are way too many unanswered questions and I don't get why Islam is better than Christianity, Judaism, Hinduism, Buddism etc. I do want to learn more about the religion though, and also other religions, to try to find people who can answer my questions and we'll see how it all goes then but as of now I'm sure that I don't believe in the religion.
Original post by chlamydia9000
I'm guessing Mohammed.

I don't think Mohammed is common amongst Jews
i’m a little afraid of discussing things with other muslims because they can get defensive but that might be mainly tiktok muslims. I look through r/islam sometimes and r/exmuslim on reddit.
“Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful.” Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Latest

Trending

Trending