The Student Room Group
Freshers week
University of Westminster
London
Visit website

Failed one assessment- Can I still graduate?

Hi, due to a mistake I fear that I may not be able to graduate this year as a final year student. I deferred my Algorithms module coursework and completed it in the reassessment period.

In every module I have ever had, the reassessment specification for courseworks is posted in the Assessment section on BlackBoard. For this module, the lecturer put it in the ‘Submit Coursework’ section, after you start your submission attempt. This is not normal practice, and therefore I completed the second semester specification.

After finding out on the due date that I completed the wrong assessment, my lecturer told me to complete the correct assessment and submit it within 24 hours so I only get a 10% late deduction. So I did. Effectively, I have completed two modules now.

Today, I found out that the Registry did not accept either attempts, because the first is the wrong coursework, and the second is a late submission, which they are not accepting for referral/deferral assessments. So I was given a 0 for the coursework component of the module.

Overall, for the module I got 39/100, since I got 78/100 in the exam, but 0 for the coursework. Aside from this, my average over the degree has been 80%+

Will I be able to graduate this year, since there is no opportunity to retake it in this academic year? Is there any advice you can offer?

Thank you!
I think you can
Freshers week
University of Westminster
London
Visit website
Original post by Eso22
Hi, due to a mistake I fear that I may not be able to graduate this year as a final year student. I deferred my Algorithms module coursework and completed it in the reassessment period.

In every module I have ever had, the reassessment specification for courseworks is posted in the Assessment section on BlackBoard. For this module, the lecturer put it in the ‘Submit Coursework’ section, after you start your submission attempt. This is not normal practice, and therefore I completed the second semester specification.

After finding out on the due date that I completed the wrong assessment, my lecturer told me to complete the correct assessment and submit it within 24 hours so I only get a 10% late deduction. So I did. Effectively, I have completed two modules now.

Today, I found out that the Registry did not accept either attempts, because the first is the wrong coursework, and the second is a late submission, which they are not accepting for referral/deferral assessments. So I was given a 0 for the coursework component of the module.

Overall, for the module I got 39/100, since I got 78/100 in the exam, but 0 for the coursework. Aside from this, my average over the degree has been 80%+

Will I be able to graduate this year, since there is no opportunity to retake it in this academic year? Is there any advice you can offer?

Thank you!

Hi there,

Have you contacted your registry regarding this issue? As they will have access to your student record, they would be the best people to speak to, to understand why it wasn't accepted and what you can do going forward.

Best wishes,

James
Course Enquiries Team

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending