The Student Room Group

Is it creepy to message a girl on Instagram.

This girl I wanna message never uploads to her Instagram story and I really wanna message her, if I don’t do it soon it may be too late. Shall I just message her. I like her and we are basically strangers, we haven’t spoken in years actually.
Would she think I’m creepy randomly messaging her “hiya” on her Instagram Dms?
What’s your thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

She wouldn't think you're being creepy, no. You're not giving her a death stare.
If you have met in person before and you can say something like "long time no speak, wanted to catch up" - why not.
If you are genuinely strangers and have never met, it is likely to seem a bit odd and I'd say there's a high likelihood of being blocked.
Not too creepy. But to be honest when I receive messages like that on Instagram I never open them.
Maybe add a question?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Ellsbells9199
This girl I wanna message never uploads to her Instagram story and I really wanna message her, if I don’t do it soon it may be too late. Shall I just message her. I like her and we are basically strangers, we haven’t spoken in years actually.
Would she think I’m creepy randomly messaging her “hiya” on her Instagram Dms?
What’s your thoughts?

If you are good-looking, it's fine and some might even take it as flirting.

If you are ugly, it's creepy and you might even get reported or blocked. lol

And to start a convo, you might want to ask her why she doesn't add any posts or things like that.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 5
I wouldn't just say 'hiya' or she might just ignore you. I'd maybe ask a question or something
don’t message “Hiya”.

Message “Hey, you alright?”

Don’t become comfortable, aim to be productive in your replies and make your intentions clear from early on. I don’t mean overly flirting though, just aim to get to know her and gradually progress in that direction.

be vigilant on how she responds to you. It’s normally clear when someone doesn’t want to talk to you, if so then just back up a bit.

If you’re followed on her instagram, then no, this has less of a possibility of being blocked. You know her and she knows you.
Original post by JAckieee.chan
If you are good-looking, it's fine and some might even take it as flirting.

If you are ugly, it's creepy and you might even get reported or blocked. lol

And to start a convo, you might want to ask her why she doesn't add any posts or things like that.

she did used to like me a long time ago, we kinda drifted apart. I hope she still likes me a bit now. Only way to find out is by messaging her though. I’ll regret in future it if I don’t.
she did used to like me a long time ago, we kinda drifted apart. I hope she still likes me a bit now. Only way to find out is by messaging her though. I’ll regret in future it if I don’t.

good luck man👍
It’s not creepy, I’d say go for it. But don’t just say “hi”, I don’t like it when people do that, it’s lazy and there’s not much you can reply to that. Include a question or try and think of a more interesting way to start a convo.
Make sure to update us if you do contact her! I've been watching this thread before there were any replies lol
Original post by Qxi.xli
Not too creepy. But to be honest when I receive messages like that on Instagram I never open them.
Maybe add a question?

How many unopened dms do you have lol
Original post by anniisa97
Make sure to update us if you do contact her! I've been watching this thread before there were any replies lol

Contacted her an hour ago, shes seen the message, hasn’t replied…..
Original post by TSRAcc20
I wouldn't just say 'hiya' or she might just ignore you. I'd maybe ask a question or something

Yeah I messaged her “hiya, how’s it going” and she’s straight up ignored me 😂 should’ve taken your advice

What did you end up saying? you don't have to share that if you don't want to though.

Dont be upset about it, she might be busy or just wondering to reply or not. And if she doesn't reply, you're still a bad ass for pursuing someone you like. Not many people can do that, and I know it was difficult for you, but dont let it get you down in the future.

Yeah I messaged her “hiya, how’s it going” and she’s straight up ignored me 😂 should’ve taken your advice

It’s because of the “hiya”

It sounds way too pretentious and you don’t sound very composed at all.

You did ask a question after all but she still ignored you because of the “hiya”. And maybe, in fact, high chance, it was due to your looks/or the fact she might just not be interested in conversations.

Don’t worry about it. Just move on. Even if she doesn’t respond, at least that has settled your little crush on her.......
(edited 2 years ago)

Well done for trying :smile:. But for future reference, "hey">> "Hiya".
Original post by CaptainDuckie
It’s because of the “hiya”

It sounds way too pretentious and you don’t sound very composed at all.

You did ask a question after all but she still ignored you because of the “hiya”. And maybe, in fact, high chance, it was due to your looks/or the fact she might just not be interested in conversations.

Don’t worry about it. Just move on. Even if she doesn’t respond, at least that has settled your little crush on her.......

Do you really think me messaging hiya over hey was the reason she didn’t respond? I dunno man seems too little of something for her to think not to reply to.
Thanks for giving me advice tho man, I’ve posted on here about 5 times before anonymously, I’m the guy who posted about the girl who liked me in primary school and we never spoke in high school (this was the girl I messaged) that’s why it’s even tougher to take. I spent all this year thinking about her and just like that she doesn’t even respond to me. Like I mean nothing to her.
Do you really think me messaging hiya over hey was the reason she didn’t respond? I dunno man seems too little of something for her to think not to reply to.
Thanks for giving me advice tho man, I’ve posted on here about 5 times before anonymously, I’m the guy who posted about the girl who liked me in primary school and we never spoke in high school (this was the girl I messaged) that’s why it’s even tougher to take. I spent all this year thinking about her and just like that she doesn’t even respond to me. Like I mean nothing to her.

aw man that's rough, but now you got an idea of how to go about talking to someone on socials for future i hope:console:

it probably wasn't just the word "hiya" (though I would recommend not using that word again). It may just be the conversation in general - although you asked a question, she probably gets messaged that frequently and possibly didn't see it leading to an interesting conversation

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending