The Student Room Group

Aston university or Coventry for mechanical engineering?

I am not sure which one would be better to study mechanical engineering. I like the sound of Coventry as they seem more entwined with engineering and have links with F1 (motorsport). However, I live in Birmingham and going to Coventry would be a longer journey than going to Aston, so would it be worth it?
Overall, which one should I aim for to study mechanical engineering?
Thank you.
Original post by Sun Pi
I am not sure which one would be better to study mechanical engineering. I like the sound of Coventry as they seem more entwined with engineering and have links with F1 (motorsport). However, I live in Birmingham and going to Coventry would be a longer journey than going to Aston, so would it be worth it?
Thank you.

I would suggest that you look at the modules that are taught and the extracurricular activities available, these are the things that will dictate how much you enjoy you course and how successful you will be.

Looking at trains, it seems that its only a 20 minute train ride between so it doesnt seem too bad particularly if you get a rail pass.
Reply 2
Personally I would choose Coventry if you don’t mind the location.
Original post by Sun Pi
Thank you.

Hi @Sun Pi,

It's great to hear you're considering studying Mechanical Engineering at Coventry!

The university is well-known for its engineering courses. Furthermore, there is a recent new build (built-in 2020) dedicated to the faculty of Engineering, Environment, and Computing which is home to excellent and up-to-date facilities to support your learning in preparation for placement or the working world.
I knew a few people who studied Mechanical Engineering and enjoyed the course, stating their enjoyment of the first year, links with placement providers as well as the atmosphere of being at uni, the societies, the people, and the events! Following a conversation with a previous Mechanical Engineer student, she said 'I really enjoy it for engineering, it actually has one of the best courses in the country... I really enjoyed about Cov in first year is that it’s so so close to so many other unis'.

As a general overview for the first year, the topics covered were general engineering - to create a foundation for all students so that everyone's on the same page academically - topics included electrical science, mechanical science, design. Assessments included practical work, coursework, and essays. As for advice, the student stated 'It’s much better to ensure any questions you have about how to present work, how to improve your work, how uni works etc is answered in first year rather than being stuck later on! I think it’s more important to use your first year to help you start your degree right in second than to use your well deserved break after a levels to cram for first year!'

Furthermore, as part of the course, you're eligible for an Add+vantage module where you're able to choose a course (that's on offer) to learn from as a way to broaden your knowledge, skills, and qualifications within a work focused environment. Usually, this takes place once a week and is timetabled for you. For example, some courses on offer include languages, creative/academic writing, enterprise, and many others! To my knowledge, only Coventry offers this type of extracurricular to you!

The location for engineering is perfect as it's close to certain accommodation options and the library, as well as the close distance to the main transport links and city centre. Albeit, Coventry is smaller than Birmingham, but it has everything you want and need for a small city to survive and Birmingham New Street on the train is only 20 minutes away.

I hope this helps to provide some insight. If there's anything you'd like to ask let us know!

Veronica
Student Ambassador
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest