The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Ask for
First class with tracking and on the receipt it will have the tracking number
Original post by Anonymous
So i need help so this is my first time posting a letter so im posting a C5 letter containing birth certificate and obviously i need to know if it gets there but idk what i need to do when i go in the post office
I need to be able to track it or get it signed so i know it got there and that they received it but i seen reviews where people got it losted or signed by wrong person
Im clueless

Hi!

If you've already got an envelope then the easiest thing to do is just to walk in and say "Hi, I've got this letter that needs to be [signed for/i would like tracking for], and needs to go by [1st class/2nd class] etc.
They should then guide you from there (usually involving weighing it and attaching the necessary stamps/stickers to it, as well as giving you the tracking number). If you need to arrange its return then and there, then tell them that and they can, again, guide you through it.

I'd take reviews with a pinch of salt. People tend to post reviews for more mundane things that are taken for granted (such as the postal service) when they have had negative experiences. Chances are, your document/letter will get where it needs to go perfectly fine and you'll have no problem at all.

You can get a rough (or precise if you want to) estimate of prices online: https://www.royalmail.com/sending/uk
I would check that just to make sure you're being charged for what you want, rather than any "added extras".

Best of luck with it all! :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
So i need help so this is my first time posting a letter so im posting a C5 letter containing birth certificate and obviously i need to know if it gets there but idk what i need to do when i go in the post office
I need to be able to track it or get it signed so i know it got there and that they received it but i seen reviews where people got it losted or signed by wrong person
Im clueless

The cheapest option is to use the 'signed for' service. This is not 'special delivery', which is significantly more expensive. You could argue that perhaps great care is taken with SD items than regular post (even when using the 'signed for' service), but I think it's probably overkill - particularly if it's not urgent.

So send it 1st class using the 'signed for' service - ask for this over the counter.
Reply 4
You can check the “first class signed for” option online to make sure it’s arrived but it’s not tracked. Cost for that should be £2.69. If you want it tracked as well it costs £6.85 with guaranteed next day delivery. Just tell the person on the post office counter what you want and what you are sending and they will ensure you will get the cheapest option.
Reply 5
Original post by cathasatail
Hi!

If you've already got an envelope then the easiest thing to do is just to walk in and say "Hi, I've got this letter that needs to be [signed for/i would like tracking for], and needs to go by [1st class/2nd class] etc.
They should then guide you from there (usually involving weighing it and attaching the necessary stamps/stickers to it, as well as giving you the tracking number). If you need to arrange its return then and there, then tell them that and they can, again, guide you through it.

I'd take reviews with a pinch of salt. People tend to post reviews for more mundane things that are taken for granted (such as the postal service) when they have had negative experiences. Chances are, your document/letter will get where it needs to go perfectly fine and you'll have no problem at all.

You can get a rough (or precise if you want to) estimate of prices online: https://www.royalmail.com/sending/uk
I would check that just to make sure you're being charged for what you want, rather than any "added extras".

Best of luck with it all! :smile:

Original post by Reality Check
The cheapest option is to use the 'signed for' service. This is not 'special delivery', which is significantly more expensive. You could argue that perhaps great care is taken with SD items than regular post (even when using the 'signed for' service), but I think it's probably overkill - particularly if it's not urgent.

So send it 1st class using the 'signed for' service - ask for this over the counter.

Original post by nutz99
You can check the “first class signed for” option online to make sure it’s arrived but it’s not tracked. Cost for that should be £2.69. If you want it tracked as well it costs £6.85 with guaranteed next day delivery. Just tell the person on the post office counter what you want and what you are sending and they will ensure you will get the cheapest option.

Thankyouu everyone for replying i appreciate the help alot so i think i would prefer it to be tracked more than signed for so i know where it is but im just abit paranoid since its my first time and i dont trust myself aha if i used signed for coz i dont know if who ever signed it is the right person and it is kinda urgent since the certificate was requested and needed to complete for my ID application but i told my mum (even tho she has no clue as well) to come with me next week coz i dont wanna go on my own with it being my first time
Reply 6

Does signed for mean recorded delivery which is what someone suggested that i get it 1st class recorded
Does signed for mean recorded delivery which is what someone suggested that i get it 1st class recorded

Yes, essentially. 'Recorded delivery' is an old-fashioned, obsolete term for what the Post Office now calls 'signed for'. A tracked delivery with a signature which you can view online.
Reply 8
Yes, essentially. 'Recorded delivery' is an old-fashioned, obsolete term for what the Post Office now calls 'signed for'. A tracked delivery with a signature which you can view online.

Okay so when i go in post office next week i ask for 1st class recorded delivery? I would like to be able to track it and get it signed for as well but Apparently thats called special delivery but i heard its too expensive but im more bothered about wanting to track it instead of signed but i dont if they do that with C5 size letters idk the differences between tracked 48 and the other one
Okay so when i go in post office next week i ask for 1st class recorded delivery? I would like to be able to track it and get it signed for as well but Apparently thats called special delivery but i heard its too expensive but im more bothered about wanting to track it instead of signed but i dont if they do that with C5 size letters idk the differences between tracked 48 and the other one

OK - you're getting complicated about this.

This is the service you need if you want to send this document by a trackable method when it's not urgent or has a high monetary value:

Screen Shot 2021-07-31 at 20.43.58.png
OK - you're getting complicated about this.

This is the service you need if you want to send this document by a trackable method when it's not urgent or has a high monetary value:

Screen Shot 2021-07-31 at 20.43.58.png

I apologise if im getting abit complicated about this just new to it and abit of a overthinker but i think i better just stick with signed for and hope for the best that it gets there without no issues or getting lost
I apologise if im getting abit complicated about this just new to it and abit of a overthinker but i think i better just stick with signed for and hope for the best that it gets there without no issues or getting lost

You don't need to apologise - I'm just trying to be clear to help you. Yes, that's the best option. There's no guarantee that anything won't get lost, but it should be fine :smile:

Note - you need to see how whoever you're sending this document to is going to return it. Usually, if you haven't included a SAE for the 'signed for' service or special delivery, then they will just send it back to you using second-class post, so you can't track its return. If you don't want this, you need to contact the people to see what your options are.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 12
Im clueless

Normal first class post would be perfectly fine. Is there a particular reason you need tracking? A birth certificate is nothing special. A passport I could understand, but not a birth certificate.
You don't need to apologise - I'm just trying to be clear to help you. Yes, that's the best option. There's no guarantee that anything won't get lost, but it should be fine :smile:

Note - you need to see how whoever you're sending this document to is going to return it. Usually, if you haven't included a SAE for the 'signed for' service or special delivery, then they will just send it back to you using second-class post, so you can't track its return. If you don't want this, you need to contact the people to see what your options are.

Im getting my supported documents(mine and my parents certificates) sent back by secure delivery which i paided for during application
My father swnt mine and his but they asked for my mums so i had to sent myself since i dont live with my father and hes smart when it comes to postage ans that coz he sells on ebay but cant contact him

Original post by IWMTom
Normal first class post would be perfectly fine. Is there a particular reason you need tracking? A birth certificate is nothing special. A passport I could understand, but not a birth certificate.

It cost me alot to get my mothers certificate sooner coz they couldn't find her on index so i had to go through council she was born at and i got it next day i need to know it gets there or atleast know that it was delivered and with just stamp you wouldn't know if it was or not and this is my 2nd time trying to get my passport due to parents not cooperating last time and i lost my money but i let them know i ordered her certificate and they giving me 3 weeks and kept hold of my application
Reply 14
Im getting my supported documents(mine and my parents certificates) sent back by secure delivery which i paided for during application
My father swnt mine and his but they asked for my mums so i had to sent myself since i dont live with my father and hes smart when it comes to postage ans that coz he sells on ebay but cant contact him

It cost me alot to get my mothers certificate sooner coz they couldn't find her on index so i had to go through council she was born at and i got it next day i need to know it gets there or atleast know that it was delivered and with just stamp you wouldn't know if it was or not and this is my 2nd time trying to get my passport due to parents not cooperating last time and i lost my money but i let them know i ordered her certificate and they giving me 3 weeks and kept hold of my application

Unfortunately it being signed for as a bulk delivery doesn't mean that it won't get lost after that point. Royal Mail don't tend to just lose things. HMPO and DVLA on the other hand...

They don't sign for your letter individually. They sign for a full bag of letters of which yours theoretically is part of. Ironically, it might not even be in the bag that gets signed for.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by IWMTom
Unfortunately it being signed for as a bulk delivery doesn't mean that it won't get lost after that point. Royal Mail don't tend to just lose things. HMPO and DVLA on the other hand...

They don't sign for your letter individually. They sign for a full bag of letters of which yours theoretically is part of. Ironically, it might not even be in the bag that gets signed for.

So do you think it is still the best method to use
Reply 16
So do you think it is still the best method to use

I think you should just stick a first class stamp on the envelope and forget about any premium services.
Original post by IWMTom
I think you should just stick a first class stamp on the envelope and forget about any premium services.

How come?
Reply 18
How come?

See above...
Reply 19
Original post by IWMTom

That's terrible advice given that you and I are both aware that in government depts post sometimes goes missing. I used to work for the govt and anything I send now I make sure that I have it signed for so I know it got there and can prove it got there, so if some toerag says we didn't receive it I can say yes you bloody well did.

In simple terms if they signed for it they received it. They may ask you to obtain another copy but they then have to pay compensation and extend any time limits.

The best option with documents like this is First Class Signed For.
(edited 2 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending