The Student Room Group

Unsure of what to study at university

Hi I am really unsure of what to do at university.

I currently take Art, Business and History a-levels and I will be applying for uni for 2022 September. I have searched through loads of courses but am divided between so many - architecture, urban planning, textiles, history, business. I don’t want to take a subject that is too specific and will narrow me down career wise.

I am aware that I am running out of time to make a decision as my personal statement and application is due at the start of October.

Does anyone have advice on how they came to a decision on their uni course?
it's good to have a career in mind. what could you see yourself doing? then look into degrees that would lead into it. don't go to uni for the sake of it, it's a lot of debt to come out in three years and still not know what you want to do.
Reply 2
Original post by lucyyy12
it's good to have a career in mind. what could you see yourself doing? then look into degrees that would lead into it. don't go to uni for the sake of it, it's a lot of debt to come out in three years and still not know what you want to do.

Thanks for the advice! I am not sure on a career yet but would want to do something art/ design based. The only main reason I would want to go to uni is for the social side and the uni experience but I don’t know if it would be worth it is I don’t know what to study?
Most graduate roles do not require any particular degree course as a background. The exceptions are generally obvious, such as STEM subjects and healthcare professions. That said, while creative roles do not always explicitly require a degree in the area, usually to move into those kinds of roles you need a good and demonstrable background in the area through a portfolio/showreel, and also usually to have some connections to the industry to start networking with. Doing a creative arts degree provides (potentially) both of these.

However if you're unsure whether you want do a creative arts degree or not, I'd recommend looking into art foundation year (FAD) courses; @PQ has put together a handy thread here outlining what they are and information about the different courses available:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5017684. FAD courses are also free if you're under the age of 19 at the start of the course (so are free for most people finishing their A-levels and going directly into a FAD course). You can also usually apply to FAD courses and to degree programmes through UCAS simultaneously, because FAD courses you normally apply directly to the provider.

Something to note is that the only unis/courses that require you apply through UCAS by early October are all courses at Oxford and Cambridge, and all medicine/dentistry/vet med courses. Every other course only requires you apply before early January - and if you are applying to Oxbridge you can apply to just the one option of Oxford or Cambridge, and then add the other 4 later if you aren't sure yet (before the January deadline of course), although in that case you would need to write your personal statement before early October.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by s__2000
Thanks for the advice! I am not sure on a career yet but would want to do something art/ design based. The only main reason I would want to go to uni is for the social side and the uni experience but I don’t know if it would be worth it is I don’t know what to study?

it’s a lot of debt for just the experience. you could still go out and have a good time if you’re working or doing an apprenticeship.
personally I only went to uni because I can’t get the job I really want without a degree. if I didn’t have to have the degree then I wouldn’t have because it’s so much money.

I don’t go out much so I guess I’d be the opposite to you ahah

don’t pick something and then regret it later on is all I’d say
Original post by s__2000

I currently take Art, Business and History a-levels and I will be applying for uni for 2022 September. I have searched through loads of courses but am divided between so many - architecture, urban planning, textiles, history, business. I don’t want to take a subject that is too specific and will narrow me down career wise.

I am aware that I am running out of time to make a decision as my personal statement and application is due at the start of October.

Hey @s__2000!

I just finished my undergraduate degree at the University of Kent, and I'm now heading onto my masters course here too, so I hope I can give you some advice!

Picking a University and a course are big decisions, so you're not alone. I was in a similar position when I applied for my undergraduate degree, I was coming out of sixth form with no clue where to go or what to study. The biggest things that helped me decide were three factors:

What do I want to do as a career?
What are my interests?
What kind of University experience do I want?

At the end of sixth form, I didn't have much of an idea what I wanted to do career-wise. So that made me decide I want a degree which leaves many doors open. Fortunately, many jobs will just ask for any ol' degree, except specific STEM careers, so I wanted something which would teach me a lot of skill for any job.
My interests were varied. I loved Sociology but I also loved English - so I needed to find something which could combine the too. I was also fond of Statistics, so I wanted to squeeze that in there somehow - and I also like Media too and needed that to fit in.
Finally, I knew I wanted an amazing University experience. I loved the idea of a bustling city, but I also wanted the gentle and calm countryside that would remind me of my home town. I wanted to be able to live on campus with everything accessible, but then also be able to spend one day in the city exploring, and then another on a long walk in fields.

Ultimately, I decided on the University of Kent. I chose the course Cultural Studies, and Media with Journalism - it combined my love of Sociology, English and Media. Of course I did not forget my love for statistics too, and I looked through the module handbook and I saw modules in quantitative and qualitative statistics - and they even have a choice to do an additional year at the end of your degree in things like statistics, computing and journalism in there Year In programme. The University was perfectly located in the beautiful city of Canterbury, with many clubs and bars on campus and in the city - yet also located within walking distance to acres and acres of fields to explore. The University of Kent has TEF Gold for teaching excellence, and are in the Top 10 in for research intensity in the UK from the REF.
My course opened so many opportunities, and after many events, meetings and career discussions I decided I wanted to go into Marketing, and now that's what I'm studying at Kent.
Personally, I love this University with all my heart, and I wholeheartedly recommend it. If it's art and design you enjoy, then have a look at the wide variety of courses they offer: https://www.kent.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate

If you need any more information on the courses, or have anything else to ask - don't hesitate! :smile:

- Nathan
UKC Rep
Original post by s__2000

Hey @s__2000 I completely understand it can be hard to narrow it down when there are lots of different options available.. There's some great advice above and we also have student ambassadors on site this week answering questions in a thread here, if you would like to ask them how they chose their course or how they knew going to university was a good decision for them etc.:smile:
How to Choose a Uni subject - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/courses/i-want-to-go-to-uni-but-i-dont-know-what-to-study

Remember, nowhere does it say you can only apply to Uni straight from school. Plan a Gap Year, work/earn some money, do some travel and think about what you really want to do with your life. See https://www.topuniversities.com/blog/reasons-you-should-take-gap-year-going-university

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending