The Student Room Group

Brampton Sixth Form Interview

I have just found out that Brampton will carry out interviews/meetings to determine the students that will be enrolled. Does anyone know what kind of questions they will ask? Thank you for any replies.
-Future ambitions
-Which a level subjects you would like to pursue and why (make sure you sound passionate about your subjects)
-What are your strengths and weaknesses
-Why did you pick Brampton specifically
-Tell me about a time you had to solve a problem and how did you overcome it
-They may ask for examples of when you have demonstrated leadership/teamwork
-They may also give you a piece of text about a modern day topic related to the subjects you want to apply for and they will ask you to talk to the interviewers about it
Reply 2
Original post by imaanali1
-Future ambitions
-Which a level subjects you would like to pursue and why (make sure you sound passionate about your subjects)
-They may also give you a piece of text about a modern day topic related to the subjects you want to apply for and they will ask you to talk to the interviewers about it

Thank you so much
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
-Future ambitions

I'm slightly taken aback by the last thing you said, when talking about this topic will I just need to pick out its features or explain it? Sorry to be so pestering.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Okayn
I'm slightly taken aback by the last thing you said, when talking about this topic will I just need to pick out its features or explain it? Sorry to be so pestering.

It's fine, I had a newsletter article about the NHS and lack of NHS staff since I was applying for biology and they told me to just discuss it with them and they asked for my input and a solution to the problem. I hope this is helpful
Original post by Okayn
I have just found out that Brampton will carry out interviews/meetings to determine the students that will be enrolled. Does anyone know what kind of questions they will ask? Thank you for any replies.

Is this a state school? If so they cannot use an interview to select applicants.
Original post by Muttley79
Is this a state school? If so they cannot use an interview to select applicants.

Where does it say that? Just asking
Original post by username54
Where does it say that? Just asking

It's a rule for all state schools - I conduct them and what we can ask is clearly defined:

"Secondary schools are not allowed to:
Take ability into account, unless they are selective/partially selective schools, or for banding purposes. Performing arts/sport/language places must be given on the basis of aptitude for a subject, rather than ability gained by previous experience. NB In our experience this tends to amount to the same thing and often to favour higher ability children.
* Ask for details about disabilities, special educational needs or medical conditions, unless in support of positive action.
* Insist on a home-school agreement being signed as a condition of admission.
* Make any charges in relation to admission, expect ‘voluntary’ contributions, or charge for school trips that are part of the curriculum, and during the school day. Other trips must not be compulsory, and schools should make clear any help available for those unable to afford the cost.
* Specify expensive uniform or sportswear.
* Take into account parental occupation, marital status or financial status.
* Interview children or families, except for interviews to determine the suitability to board or to discuss potential courses with sixth form applicants.
* Refuse to admit a child where the school is listed on their SEN statement or EHC plan."

https://www.goodschoolsguide.co.uk/choosing-a-school/state-schools/secondary-school-admissions
It's a rule for all state schools - I conduct them and what we can ask is clearly defined:

"Secondary schools are not allowed to:
Take ability into account, unless they are selective/partially selective schools, or for banding purposes. Performing arts/sport/language places must be given on the basis of aptitude for a subject, rather than ability gained by previous experience. NB In our experience this tends to amount to the same thing and often to favour higher ability children.
* Ask for details about disabilities, special educational needs or medical conditions, unless in support of positive action.
* Insist on a home-school agreement being signed as a condition of admission.
* Make any charges in relation to admission, expect ‘voluntary’ contributions, or charge for school trips that are part of the curriculum, and during the school day. Other trips must not be compulsory, and schools should make clear any help available for those unable to afford the cost.
* Specify expensive uniform or sportswear.
* Take into account parental occupation, marital status or financial status.
* Interview children or families, except for interviews to determine the suitability to board or to discuss potential courses with sixth form applicants.
* Refuse to admit a child where the school is listed on their SEN statement or EHC plan."

https://www.goodschoolsguide.co.uk/choosing-a-school/state-schools/secondary-school-admissions

My school does at least 3 of these things lol
Reply 9
It's fine, I had a newsletter article about the NHS and lack of NHS staff since I was applying for biology and they told me to just discuss it with them and they asked for my input and a solution to the problem. I hope this is helpful

Sorry, what type of article was it? Did you have to add some biology knowledge from secondary? If it’s not too much to ask, can you give me some examples please?

Is this for all state schools? Pre COVID all sixth form grammars in my city used an interview in the final stages of choosing applicants ?
Original post by goneclear
Is this for all state schools? Pre COVID all sixth form grammars in my city used an interview in the final stages of choosing applicants ?

Yes it is -
Yes it is -

So why do most schools interview people before making a decision to accept them into their sixth form?
So why do most schools interview people before making a decision to accept them into their sixth form?

You are allowed to talk about options but NOT assess suitability ... read the proviso in bold. It's not common where I live
You are allowed to talk about options but NOT assess suitability ... read the proviso in bold. It's not common where I live

Ah I see. I mean i'm going into year 12 so I just wanted to understand a bit more about this. What do you mean by suitability?
Ah I see. I mean i'm going into year 12 so I just wanted to understand a bit more about this. What do you mean by suitability?

No test-type questions e.g. the task described above sounds dodgy. We look at predicted grades and if we anticipate an issue e.g. grade 5 in Maths when we ask for a 7 we may ask about alternative choices.
No test-type questions e.g. the task described above sounds dodgy. We look at predicted grades and if we anticipate an issue e.g. grade 5 in Maths when we ask for a 7 we may ask about alternative choices.

Ohhh alright yeah that's what my school does. If you don't mind me asking, what subject do you teach?
Ohhh alright yeah that's what my school does. If you don't mind me asking, what subject do you teach?

I teach Maths but interviewing is part of my senior role [we have a team of us].
I teach Maths but interviewing is part of my senior role [we have a team of us].

That's cool, well i don't want to interrupt this thread any further but thanks for ur help on tsr.
Original post by Kehisiga
Sorry, what type of article was it? Did you have to add some biology knowledge from secondary? If it’s not too much to ask, can you give me some examples please?

It was an article regarding the poor facilities in the NHS, lack of staff, who are underpaid and how the NHS is basically crashing. The interviewer wanted a solution from the top of my head and I can't remember in detail but regarding lack of staff I said we should give more medical places at schools and lower requirments for medical school. I did elaborate but they didn't ask me anything which required any knowledge from GCSE biology, it was just about a current day issue based on my subjects.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending