The Student Room Group

Tokyo 2020 Olympics: Boxing

Welcome to the Tokyo Olympics 2020!

:kungfu: This thread is all about Boxing:kungfu:

Boxing is the oldest martial arts in olympic games ever: since 1904 (except for 1906 and 1912) it is a part of this competition. And as it is usual boxing matches, the fighters are divided in different wight classes and the genders in order to award the winners. That is why there are 39 medals to win in total (if I am not discalculated me :smile:).

The shedule can be found here: https://olympics.com/tokyo-2020/olympic-games/en/results/boxing/olympic-schedule-and-results.htm

Use this thread to discuss about the results, the events in general and have fun! :h:

Besides, @04MR17 and @CheeseIsVeg support me where they can. Thanks in advance!
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I can predict that GB will win 4 medals in the boxing:
- Ben Whittaker should bag a bronze, he won a silver at the World Championships in 2019, I think he loses in the semis to the Kazakh who is ranked 1st.
- Pat McCormack will win gold, he's ranked number 1, anything less than a bronze will be a complete shock.
- Lauren Price is favourite for gold and Caroline Dubois is inexperienced but I think she'll bag a bronze.

Only other fighter I can see winning a medal is Frazer Clarke, it depends if he beats the Frenchman in the Quarters then he gets the bronze but will probably lose to Jalolov the Uzbek.

To add to this post, I’d advise everyone to watch Oleksandr Khyzhniak, he’ll be competing at middleweight and is the number 1 pound for pound amateur boxer. He knocked out the Brit Lewis Richardson in the Qualifiers at Paris.

In the round of 16 of the Light Welterweights we should see Sofianr Oumiha against Keyshawn Davis. Oumiha signed to Queensberry Promotions for when he turns over, whereas Davis has already had 3 professional fights. I see Andy Crus winning gold there though.

Overall Gold Medal (men) predictions:
Flyweight: ZOIROV Shakhobidin (Uzbekistan)
Featherweight: MIRAZIZBEK Mirzakhalilov (Uzbekistan)
Lightweight: ANDY Cruz (CuBa)
Welterweight: Pat McCormack (Great Britain)
Middleweight: Oleksandr Khyzhniak (Ukraine)
Light Heavyweight: Arlen Lopez (Cuba)
Heavyweight: Muslim Gadzhimagomedov (Russia)
Super Heavyweight: Bakhodir Jalolov (Uzbekistan)
(edited 2 years ago)
My bets are on the Baltic boxers. I think that Russians, Ukrainians, Uzbeks and Kazakhs have the upper hands in literally fighting for the medals.
Original post by Kallisto
My bets are on the Baltic boxers. I think that Russians, Ukrainians, Uzbeks and Kazakhs have the upper hands in literally fighting for the medals.

You are right, in the last Olympics Uzbekistan won 3 golds, 2 bronze and 2 silver medals. The Eastern European countries are the flag bearers of amateur boxing (it used to be Cuba).
Awesome stuff, let's see if your predictions are right or if we get a shocker this Olympics!
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
Awesome stuff, let's see if your predictions are right or if we get a shocker this Olympics!

The Cuban boxing team must not be underrestimated. They got six medals, including three gold medals.
The Cuban boxing team must not be underrestimated. They got six medals, including three gold medals.

Their team isn’t as good this year. Their star boxer Julio Cesar La Cruz is no longer as good as he was. He has moved up to Heavyweight so will struggle.

I’m sure 5-6 of their boxers have moved up one division. Their good talent Robeisy Ramirez turned pro.

Their best gold medal change is Andy Cruz at Lightweight, he’s from Cuba but I put USA by accident in my post which I’ll edit, and maybe Arlen Lopez if he has luck by his side.

I think Cuba will finish 2nd in the medal standings behind Uzbekistan. I am not too familiar with many of the female boxers so can’t comment too much about them.

Unfortunately today Peter McGrail for GB lost to the experienced Thai boxer at featherweight, which was a shock and disappointing
Team GB update:
Galal Yafai knocked out his Thai competitor on Monday in the Flyweight Division in the round of 32. He should win his next fight and then will face a Cuban I guess in the Quarter finals (Bronze medal match). This will be a tough test but I don’t see him progressing after that, although his experience of being a 2016 Olympian will help him.

Peter Mcgrail was eliminated last Saturday in the Bantamweight division. He’s a former Commonwealth Games gold medalist and won two medals at World Championships so it was an incredible shock to see him being eliminated so early.

I backed Lauren Price and Caroline Dubois to pick up medals and they both comfortably won their first fights.

Featherweight Karriss Artingstall has won GB’s first medal in the boxing in Tokyo after beating Australian World ranked number 7 in the Bronze Medal match. She’ll face a a Japanese boxer in the semi finals. I didn’t expect her to win a medal due to her lack of experience but fair play to her she has done a great job, she has an excellent jab with that southpaw stance.

Not to sound crude, but heavyweight Cheavon Clarke is the weakest member of the team so it wasn’t a surprise to see him lose in the round of 32 first round. He used to be a truck driver before focusing on boxing for GB, and I thought he was unlucky to lose a split decision.

Number 1 Welterweight Pat MCCormack progressed to the quarter finals as expected. He’ll face an Uzbek but that should be no problem, the Birtley fighter has done well in his only fight so far.

Pat’s brother Luke McCormack (Lightweight) is in the round of 16 now. He’ll face arguably the number 1 amateur boxer pound for pound in Cuban Andy Cruz. This will be a very competitive fight on Saturday but I see Luke being eliminated.

Light Heavyweight Benjamin Whittaker is now in the quarter finals. What is great news for him is that number 1 seed Nurdauletov from Kazakhstan was eliminated by Khataev from Russia. This opens the draw for Ben as his route to the final looks simple. I expect him to face Arlen Lopez in the final if he comes through the next two rounds.

Finally, the only GB boxer so far yet to fight is Super Heavyweight Frazier Clarke. He’ll be fighting tomorrow. He is the captain of the team as the most experienced fighter since being around the squad since 2012. It would be great to see him medal, which has been increased due to the absence of New Zealender Justin Huni.
Big Fraser Clarke won his Super Heavyweight Round of 16 contest today against a Ukrainian via a 4-1 split decision. I’ve seen him box better but he got the job done.

Charlie Davison was eliminated in the round of 16 by the Chinese 2nd seed. She was hard done by as in the third round she clearly knocked her opponent down but the referee didn’t rule it as a knockdown. A 10-8 round for Davison would have meant she would have won the contest.

Tomorrow 3 more GB fighters will fight. Caroline Dubois will face a tough contest against American Rashida Ellis in the round of 16, while Pat McCormack and Ben Whittaker will have their bronze medal fights.

I expect McCormack and Whittaker to win comfortably and secure medals

At this stage in 2016 GB only had 4 boxers left, right now they have 8 which is a testament to the hard work of all the coaches including Rob Mckracken.
@Driving_Mad

The British boxers made a good job, if you ask me: Benjamin Whittaker and Pat McCormack in the semi-finals, that is great. Looks like that Pat McCormack is able to asnwer your expectations.

The German boxer Abduljabbar, the only one who left in this sports in heavyweight, is already out in quarter final. What a pity.
(edited 2 years ago)
Nyika, a New Zealander in the semi finals of the men's heavy weight, is a big surprise for myself, but I just have seen him fighting and think that he gave a great performance. Well deserved.
@Driving_Mad

The British boxers made a good job, if you ask me: Benjamin Whittaker and Pat McCormack in the semi-finals, that is great. Looks like that Pat McCormack is able to asnwer your expectations.

The German boxer Abduljabbar, the only one who left in this sports in heavyweight, is already out in quarter final. What a pity.

PRSOM buddy, nice to see another person posting on here :biggrin:

I did predict at the start of the tournament, as you can see from my first post here, that Whittaker and McCormack would medal. They are guaranteed a bronze which is great. To be honest Whittaker got a little lucky against the Brazilian today, he won a 3-2 split, but he’ll take the win.

McCormack bags gold 100%, Whittaker faces a tough task against a Russian called Khataev, who already beat the number 1 Kazakh seed. He has won 2 of his 3 fights by knockout too.

I reckon Whittaker is a but chinny and could get caught. if Whittaker makes it to the final, I think the Cuban Arlen Lopez will beat him, he hasn’t lost a round yet.

Caroline Dubois beat world number 3 American Rashida Ellis. Superb performance because Dubois has only had a handful of senior fights. She’s through to the quarters, I think she’s beat tougher opponents then what’s to come, she’ll medal for sure.

I don’t know too much about Abduljabbar, but bad luck for you and Germany. He lost to the Russian number 1 seed who I backed to win Gold, so it was expected I guess.

Nyika, a New Zealander in the semi finals of the men's heavy weight, is a big surprise for myself, but I just have seen him fighting and think that he gave a great performance. Well deserved.

Yeah Nyika is a special talent, he has already had a few professional fights. No shame in losing to him.

I think Nyika will lose in the semis to the big Russian.

Did you manage to watch the Great Man in the Heavyweight division: Julio Cesar La Cruz? He’s Cuban and I thought he was lucky to beat the Spaniard.

Big day tomorrow for GB with 4 fighters fighting. Karriss Artingstall will fight in the semi finals, but the big one is Luke McCormack vs Andy Cruz. I reckon Cruz wins but McCormack will give him a good fight.

A lot of good fights tomorrow though so try and watch guys. The fight to look out for is Keyshawn Davis vs Soufiane Oumiha, who are fighting in the round of 16 although they are both gold medal favourites. I really rate Oumiha but he got a bye in the first round so Davis should be sharper, I reckon Davis wins via a split decision.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Driving_Mad
PRSOM buddy, nice to see another person posting on here :biggrin:

(...)

Of course I do! I have created this thread as I am very keen on boxing and martial arts and like to discuss with people about it.

I even watch the fights in a summary, in cuttings or even in real time just to see how the boxers are using the footworks and movements to hit their opponents in different angles. To learn by the coming champions. There are olympians who made a great career as a pro years later, so I think it is tbe best what can I do to improve myself.

I couldn't find any to La Cruz's fight, but Enrico against Davis. Guess it has something to do with the copyrights. Good luck for the for four British fighters tomorrow - and if their fights are published, I will look at them. :smile:
Of course I do! I have created this thread as I am very keen on boxing and martial arts and like to discuss with people about it.

I even watch the fights in a summary, in cuttings or even in real time just to see how the boxers are using the footworks and movements to hit their opponents in different angles. To learn by the coming champions. There are olympians who made a great career as a pro years later, so I think it is tbe best what can I do to improve myself.

I couldn't find any to La Cruz's fight, but Enrico against Davis. Guess it has something to do with the copyrights. Good luck for the for four British fighters tomorrow - and if their fights are published, I will look at them. :smile:

Yeah coverage isn’t the best unfortunately in the UK either.

I think 2 of them will win (Price and Yafai) and the other 2 will lose but we’ll see.

You were on point predicting the Cubans to have a good Olympics at the start of the thread, they have done well so far
Yeah coverage isn’t the best unfortunately in the UK either.

(...)

Seems so, that is so pesky. But I have just found a footage to the Whittaker fight yesterday. And when he was in clinch against Machado, he beat the brazilian to the head. Is this legit in that situation?
Seems so, that is so pesky. But I have just found a footage to the Whittaker fight yesterday. And when he was in clinch against Machado, he beat the brazilian to the head. Is this legit in that situation?

You can’t clinch / hold and punch at the same time, so technically no, but most boxers do when fighting on the inside. It’s best to just do it and then if the referee warns you not to then don’t do it again in case of point deductions.

As I predicted 2 wins and 2 losses for GB. Artingstall lost but won a Bronze medal and Luke McCormack lost to Andy Cruz in round of 16.

Lauren Price advances to the semi finals and is now guaranteed a bronze medal at least. Galal Yafai is through to the quarter finals where he faces a tough task against a Cuban.

Big day tomorrow with Frazer Clarke fighting in the quarter finals and Pat McCormack and Ben Whittaker fighting in the semi finals.

GB are guaranteed 4 medals so far, 1 which is confirmed to be bronze. Maybe Frazer Clarke can make it 5.
(...)

GB are guaranteed 4 medals so far, 1 which is confirmed to be bronze. Maybe Frazer Clarke can make it 5.

I think that at least one of these four - or five - boxers wins a gold medal for Britain. I bet on Pat McCormack that he is this one.
I think that at least one of these four - or five - boxers wins a gold medal for Britain. I bet on Pat McCormack that he is this one.

I think you might be right mate.

Today Pat McCormack won via walkover as Irish opponent Kurt Walker pulled out. He’ll face Cuban Roman Iglesias in the final. I think Pat takes that one.

Ben Whittaker beat the dangerous Russian Khataev via a 4-1 split. I don’t think he’ll beat Cuban Arlen Lopez in the final though. Lopez is world class, he won gold in the 2016 Olympics but at a lower weight class. That will be a good fight though.

Finally for GB Frazer Clarke beat a Frenchman to guarantee himself a bronze medal, via disqualification. Watch it Kallisto and tell me what you think. I know the Frenchman was warned about fighting with his head but that was harsh. Anyway Clarke will probably lose in the semi finals to number 1 seed Uzbekistan Jalolov, he’s hard as ****.

Looking back at my early predictions I think I might get most of them correct :biggrin:
(...)

Finally for GB Frazer Clarke beat a Frenchman to guarantee himself a bronze medal, via disqualification. Watch it Kallisto and tell me what you think. I know the Frenchman was warned about fighting with his head but that was harsh. Anyway Clarke will probably lose in the semi finals to number 1 seed Uzbekistan Jalolov, he’s hard as ****.

Looking back at my early predictions I think I might get most of them correct :biggrin:

I have just seen the moment in which the refeere punished him with a point deduction. But honestly, I couldn't see a headbutt to Frazer and Aliev's frustration is understandable. And because of he flipped out for this mistake, he got disqualified. Yeah, I really think that it was a mistake and a scandal what the referee did as next.

Both fighters weren't the best technical fighters in this round. Jalolov has the best chance with a good defense.
Frazer Clarke through to the semis after his French opponent is disqualified.

The French an staged a sit-down protest in the ring after the fight. Clearly very unhappy.

Quick Reply

Latest