The Student Room Group

Are foreign languages compulsory at your school GCSE?

Hey, thanks for coming to read this. I'm going into year 9, which is also the year options are selected, in September. I know that MFL's were not compulsory last year, but apparently it can change. I honestly hate Spanish and French with a passion, and can not remember vocabulary easily (which is weird because I don't struggle with other subjects at all, eg science). Are MFL's mandatory for GCSE at your school? thanks! :smile:
I’m not at school myself but have children who are 17 and 16. Their current school it’s not compulsory. When we lived in London they went to different schools and in one it was and the other it wasn’t.
Original post by mangosmoothie
Hey, thanks for coming to read this. I'm going into year 9, which is also the year options are selected, in September. I know that MFL's were not compulsory last year, but apparently it can change. I honestly hate Spanish and French with a passion, and can not remember vocabulary easily (which is weird because I don't struggle with other subjects at all, eg science). Are MFL's mandatory for GCSE at your school? thanks! :smile:

i hated languages too, i think it was compulsory for us but just talk to the teachers and if they don't agree and its getting no where for u by the end of year 11/year 10 u can always drop it, my friend did that

I left school last year but MFLs were not compulsory. In fact, they got rid of Spanish because there wasn't enough people taking it. So in the end, there was only a very small group of people (including myself) doing French.

However, I heard about schools making them compulsory. But if you have the choice and you don't feel like you'll do good in it, don't take it. A lot of students found it very hard at my school despite having some really good teachers, including native speakers.
I only chose Spanish because I want to do travelling work when I'm older.

I'd be better off learning from Dora the Explorer, because the MFL department at my school is crap.

A modern foreign langiage is not compulsory but many schoools try to 'make' students take one ... they falsely claim it is needed.

Quick Reply

Latest