The Student Room Group

Mature Student going back to study, worried about surviving and living costs

Hi everyone I really hope student Finance can help here. I am 29 years old with no formal educational qualifications but I want to do a foundation course then a BA in Graphic design, This is an extremely important question so please bear with me. I want to do all courses via distance education(online). I have found the courses and I think it is 5 years all up. It is the Open College of The Arts:
https://www.oca.ac.uk/

I want to do the Foundation course First:
https://www.oca.ac.uk/courses/painting-open-foundation/
then I want to do BA Graphic Design (hon):h:ere:
https://www.oca.ac.uk/courses/ba-graphic-design/

pathway: please go to:
https://www.oca.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/Graphic-Design-degree-pathway-

NOW THE QUESTION!
What sort of financial help can I receive in regards to day to day living costs/expenses for 1st The Foundation painting online course above and then for the BA hon Graphic Design Course.... I have heard of a maintenance allowance and Student Finance for degree Under Graduate level but I am confused with the Foundation Year at OCA (above) and it being online distance course..COULD YOU PLEASE HELP as I cant get started without knowing this information. Thank you for any advice.

Scroll to see replies

Do you live in England?
Defo won't get maintenance loans or grants but may be able to get loan from SLC to pay the course fees. Check their website it will tell you
Reply 3
Original post by GabiAbi84
Do you live in England?

yes based in Leighton Buzzard Bedfordshire
Reply 4
so wont get any help at all for day to day living expenses??? Is that just for the Foundation Course or for both the Foundation course and the BA (hon) Graphic Design course?
Original post by norosoros
Defo won't get maintenance loans or grants but may be able to get loan from SLC to pay the course fees. Check their website it will tell you
Original post by teacherbot
yes based in Leighton Buzzard Bedfordshire

Then unless you are unable to attend a brick uni due to a disability you are not entitled to any maintenance loan.
As for the foundation year I would assume they would find it but couldn’t tell you that for sure.
Reply 6
Then unless you are unable to attend a brick uni due to a disability you are not entitled to any maintenance loan.
As for the foundation year I would assume they would find it but couldn’t tell you that for sure.

for Foundation and BA courses above ? Thats ridiculous ..in Covid times!! Wont Student Finance do it if its online?
for Foundation and BA courses above ? Thats ridiculous ..in Covid times!! Wont Student Finance do it if its online?

No, they don’t give maintenance loan to part time distance learning as you can still be working and earning money while you study.
It tells you that on the fees and funding page of the OCA website- if you’re in England you won’t be eligible for maintenance loans unless you have a disability which stops you from attending a brick uni.
Reply 8
No, they don’t give maintenance loan to part time distance learning as you can still be working and earning money while you study.
It tells you that on the fees and funding page of the OCA website- if you’re in England you won’t be eligible for maintenance loans unless you have a disability which stops you from attending a brick uni.

well it looks like i will give up as i cant study a full time course and work as well. i cant survive without Government assistance......dream gone.....stupid rules..i am not living at home...its really really unfair..its all for the rich..it doesn't matter if you have talent or not.
Reply 9
well it looks like i will give up as i cant study a full time course and work as well. i cant survive without Government assistance......dream gone.....stupid rules..i am not living at home...its really really unfair..its all for the rich..it doesn't matter if you have talent or not.

i am sorry i just feel its impossible but if anyone can cpme up with anything around this please reply

Why not study part time so you can work as well?
Or try to find a course at a brick university instead of distance learning?

It can be studied part time so you can continue to work which is what most will do.
You could do the foundation course part time and then see whether that would allow you to gain entry to a brick uni graphic design course.
Or there may be part time courses at a brick uni that you could attend whilst working.
Reply 12
Thanks for the replies,guys...
Reply 13
Just another thought would Student Finance fund all tuition fees for the Foundation and the BA (hons) course at the OCA?
(edited 2 years ago)
Just another thought would Student Finance fund all tuition fees for the Foundation and the BA (hons) course at the OCA?

Definitely the honours degree. Unsure about the foundation course. I would imagine yes but it only states that their undergraduate courses are eligible which could be taken either way. I’d email them and ask.

Hi @teacherbot

Read your post and can feel your frustration, don't give up - research all your options and routes into pursuing your dream. Have you considered attending a brick uni, applying for a maintenance loan and working part time for additional income?

I do hope you can make it work, if not now then perhaps in the future - I finally made it at the age of 47!

Take Care

Clare
Student Ambassador

If the foundation course doesnt get you regular student finance, you might be able to get advanced learner loan for that one.
Maybe someone else on here would know more about this but what about doing a one year access course with another provider (instead of doing the foundation year with OCA)? I think it's called the advanced learner loan or something you can get to help with it, and access courses can be done either online or at a local college.

https://www.accesstohe.ac.uk/about-access/about-the-diploma/fees-funding#

Then afterwards you can pursue the degree which should be funded under student loans.
Advanced learner loan, check it out.
Just read the entry requirements on the degree page and it says that no formal entry requirements or experience are necessary, you just need a willingness to learn, be computer literate and understand english. Why not just skip the foundation year entirely and go straight to the degree?

Quick Reply

Latest