The Student Room Group

Which med school pathway would be easier?

I'm an international student who has received an offer from an Ireland med school (University College Cork) for a degree and a UK med school (University of Aberdeen) for a foundation course. However, I've heard for Ireland, internships are incredibly limited for international students. This is why I would like to try entering a UK med school after studying in Ireland for a year, but I'm not sure if it's viable at all. The medicine foundation course can be a good option. Still, I'm not sure how many students can typically get to med school after attending the foundation course as from what I've heard, the competition might be extremely fierce and there may be a sizable risk that I fail to enter med school. Which of the options is more secure for me to get into a UK med school successfully?
Reply 1
Sorry I can't comment on the Irish Med Schools, but I do know that transferring from a med school, even in the UK, to another med school is pretty much impossible so I'm assuming it will be the same for transferring from an Irish Med School to UK Med School. Maybe @becausethenight might be able to shed some more light on this.

With regards to the Aberdeen Foundation Year, I would not gamble a year on their transfer to med course, because as you said it's insanely competitive and it's more of a lottery system rather than a definitive place in Med School and you're still paying the yearly fee of having a chance to transfer to med. I would avoid this and take a gap year and apply again to get into A100 medicine course.
I really don't know enough about Ireland to comment, really.
If you know you want to work in the UK, it's usually easiest to study where you want to work. As above I don't think it's possible to transfer from an Irish to a UK med school, unless they have a pre-established transfer pathway, but you may be able to start FY in the UK after graduating in Ireland?
Original post by SyedN
Sorry I can't comment on the Irish Med Schools, but I do know that transferring from a med school, even in the UK, to another med school is pretty much impossible so I'm assuming it will be the same for transferring from an Irish Med School to UK Med School. Maybe @becausethenight might be able to shed some more light on this.

With regards to the Aberdeen Foundation Year, I would not gamble a year on their transfer to med course, because as you said it's insanely competitive and it's more of a lottery system rather than a definitive place in Med School and you're still paying the yearly fee of having a chance to transfer to med. I would avoid this and take a gap year and apply again to get into A100 medicine course.

So, do you know the med school foundation year enough to make such a judgement though, because the competitiveness is just my assumption.
w

Original post by becausethenight
I really don't know enough about Ireland to comment, really.
If you know you want to work in the UK, it's usually easiest to study where you want to work. As above I don't think it's possible to transfer from an Irish to a UK med school, unless they have a pre-established transfer pathway, but you may be able to start FY in the UK after graduating in Ireland?

Well, do you know the competitiveness of foundation courses of getting into med school? I just want to know among a class of students how many can typically enter med school.
Original post by i_am_a_person
w

Well, do you know the competitiveness of foundation courses of getting into med school? I just want to know among a class of students how many can typically enter med school.

The thing is, all the foundation courses are different!
Does Abderdeen release any data? Are you guaranteed progression onto the medical course or is it competitive?
Reply 6
So, do you know the med school foundation year enough to make such a judgement though, because the competitiveness is just my assumption.

The run through 6 year Foundation courses are good because you just do an additional year and then you're doing medicine for the next 5 years. Once you get into these you're guaranteed a spot for medicine rather than worrying about transferring and stuff like that.

There's a couple of universities that do it such as Southampton, UEA, Hull York from the top of my head. But these aren't open to everyone you have to meet the widening participation criteria for their course. You can find these on the universities websites.

Let me know if you have any more questions!
Reply 7
Original post by becausethenight
The thing is, all the foundation courses are different!
Does Abderdeen release any data? Are you guaranteed progression onto the medical course or is it competitive?

I had a quick look and it seems like an internal transfer course where you need 82% in 4 modules and 68% in 2 modules to be given a chance of applying to their medicine course and ofc you'll have to put in a personal statement, UCAT (Might be BMAT for Aberdeen not too sure), then if the applicant is successful you can get an interview.
Original post by SyedN
I had a quick look and it seems like an internal transfer course where you need 82% in 4 modules and 68% in 2 modules to be given a chance of applying to their medicine course and ofc you'll have to put in a personal statement, UCAT (Might be BMAT for Aberdeen not too sure), then if the applicant is successful you can get an interview.

Any idea on the percentage of students succeeding in getting into med school through the foundation year? And do you mind giving me the source?
Original post by SyedN

Original post by SyedN
The run through 6 year Foundation courses are good because you just do an additional year and then you're doing medicine for the next 5 years. Once you get into these you're guaranteed a spot for medicine rather than worrying about transferring and stuff like that.

There's a couple of universities that do it such as Southampton, UEA, Hull York from the top of my head. But these aren't open to everyone you have to meet the widening participation criteria for their course. You can find these on the universities websites.

Idk but these two paragraphs are a bit contradictory haha

Also, the agent that is responsible for my application said the progression rate of the university was 95% but I'm a bit sceptical of her data.
Reply 10
Idk but these two paragraphs are a bit contradictory haha

Also, the agent that is responsible for my application said the progression rate of the university was 95% but I'm a bit sceptical of her data.

Sorry about that, let just clear that up.

So the Aberdeen "Foundation" Year you're talking about is a transfer scheme where you are not guaranteed a place in medicine after you complete the foundation year and you will need to get 82% in 4 modules and 68% in 2 modules to be given a chance of transferring to study medicine at Aberdeen. If you are successful at getting the grades you will have to apply for medicine again (most likely internally) for the A100 course where you will need a personal statement, UCAT and if everything goes well you get an interview and after passing that you will get an offer to do medicine at Aberdeen.

A Medicine with a Foundation Year course at universities like Southampton is much simpler. You apply for Foundation Year medicine, which is a 6 year course (1 year foundation then 5 years of medicine) compared to 1 year course at Aberdeen as you need to either apply for medicine at Aberdeen or transfer to another course at the uni. When applying for the 6 year foundation years once you're in, you're in. You will not need to reapply for medicine at the end of the foundation year, you just move to year 1 of medicine as long as you pass the foundation year. The only thing about these 6 year foundation courses is that they are not open to everyone as you do need to meet certain widening participation criteria which you can check on the university's website.

Hope that clears it up for you a bit and once again sorry for the confusion!
Reply 11
Any idea on the percentage of students succeeding in getting into med school through the foundation year? And do you mind giving me the source?

I do not have a percentage but I do know they only have 20 seats available to transfer to medicine. Here's the source:
https://www.aberdeen-isc.ac.uk/programmes/ug/subjects/medicine
Original post by SyedN

I spoke to a few people doing the UEA foundation Med course when I administered their Covid vaccine, and they said they can progress into the medical degree as long as they get over 70% in their exams at the end of foundation year. So it’s not guaranteed, but should be doable!
In a online open day for UEA Med the admissions team also said the vast majority of foundation year students do progress into the medical degree.
Reply 13
Original post by Gazelleintense
I spoke to a few people doing the UEA foundation Med course when I administered their Covid vaccine, and they said they can progress into the medical degree as long as they get over 70% in their exams at the end of foundation year. So it’s not guaranteed, but should be doable!
In a online open day for UEA Med the admissions team also said the vast majority of foundation year students do progress into the medical degree.

This is because it is a gateway year but it is still not an internal transfer program. For the gateway year you just apply to it (of course you will have to have sat UCAT and do an interview before getting a place on the course) and you just need to get 70%+ but after that you do not need to apply for medicine again you just move to year 1 of medicine after completing the gateway year without having to do another application. Plus, it's usually a small cohort of around 38-40 which are all going to get into medicine if they all get 70%+.

Internal transfer programs like the University of Aberdeen only has 20 seats for transfer to medicine out of usually a massive cohorts (Bradford has a similar program and they have 20 seats but 200 people wanting to transfer) and even if you get the grades there's a chance you might not get to transfer to the university's medicine program as they will need to do the whole procedure for applying to medicine such as personal statement, UCAT (for Aberdeen) and then the interview as well, but it will most likely be internally not through UCAS.
Reply 14
Original post by Gazelleintense

In any course, you have to pass the year to proceed?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending