The Student Room Group

A level french in 1 year?

Is it possible to pass A level french in 1 year from almost scratch?? and studying nothing else
TIA :smile:
Original post by only1FLAMINI
Is it possible to pass A level french in 1 year from almost scratch?? and studying nothing else

i'm sure it's possible but i'm not aware of any colleges that allow you to sit only one A level. i did a level french for 3 months before dropping it but i did find that i needed almost all my gcse knowledge so i'm not sure if A levels are the place to start. maybe try gcses ? good luck in whatever you decide to do :smile:
Original post by yannaxue
i'm sure it's possible but i'm not aware of any colleges that allow you to sit only one A level. i did a level french for 3 months before dropping it but i did find that i needed almost all my gcse knowledge so i'm not sure if A levels are the place to start. maybe try gcses ? good luck in whatever you decide to do :smile:

Thanks for reply :smile: I couldnt find any colleges, so i was thinking of doing it online. I have just left uni in a course i was unhappy in and looking to add another A level to join a better university. I was thinking i could smash out a language in a year as i will have a lot of time, but maybe there is other A levels which would be easier.
Thanks for reply :smile: I couldnt find any colleges, so i was thinking of doing it online. I have just left uni in a course i was unhappy in and looking to add another A level to join a better university. I was thinking i could smash out a language in a year as i will have a lot of time, but maybe there is other A levels which would be easier.

It's a bit of an odd choice for a one-year A level. There are much easier choices. Do you have recent experience of learning languages, or do you have a facility with learning them?

Hi,

Being totally honest, French requires a lot of work, and it is definitely one of the harder languages out there to learn (in my experience anyway). It also depends on what you would take as a pass. I took French for A Level, and I have experience in learning different languages, and I had studied French for 5 years before doing it as an A Level, and it was still incredibly hard, especially studying 18th century French literature! Now, I'm not saying it's impossible, but I will say that it will require a lot from you! Just make sure you know what you're getting yourself into before committing. It may be easier if you speak similar languages or if you have experience in learning languages! Hope this helps, all the best! If you need anything else lmk!

Samantha, Official UoP Rep
Original post by Reality Check
It's a bit of an odd choice for a one-year A level. There are much easier choices. Do you have recent experience of learning languages, or do you have a facility with learning them?

I should of mentioned that i do have a GCSE in french (C grade, so not great), but i wouldnt know whether i have a facility in learning languages as i never really tried in those times. During lockdown I recapped some of my french from GCSE days and found myself really enjoying it. Learning another language is something i have always been interested in and I thought this year would be a great opportunity to do so, but I dont want to put too much stress on myself to get to an A level standard in too short of a time period.
Thanks for all the feedback and advice it has been so valuable and interesting hearing everyones opinion. From extra research and all the advice given I have decided to learn french on my own full time for at least 3 months using books and online resources such as Lingq and see how well I have progressed from there as to whether pursue an A level this academic year or the next. Also, I should of mentioned i do have a GCSE in french (a C) but it was a few years ago now. My ambition is to have a good grade in A level french in the next two years max and then join a university with my better grades/higher UCAS points, perhaps even one in france would be nice if BREXIT allowed :biggrin:

It is clear that learning a language requires alot of motivation, dedication and time to achieve geat results and i look forward to the journey!
:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest