The Student Room Group

What do you look for in a potential candidate for a long-term relationship/marriage?

What are the qualities that you are looking for in a long lasting, potentially lifetime, partner

Scroll to see replies

A heterosexual guy who is compatible with all my dealbreakers, at least 15 years older than me, 5'4 or taller, wants one biological child and is committed to being a co-parent for 18 years.

In terms of personal qualities: ambitious, bibliophile, calm, caring, clean shaven, dog friendly, employed/history of regularly working, fully assimiliated into mainstream english culture, healthy, honest, independent, intelligent, secular, smartly dressed, strong work ethic, take responsibility for himself & his life without attempting to apportion any blame elsewhere, opposes illegal immigration and has no moral qualms with stk-syg or mandatory full life tariffs for specific crimes & serial offenders.
Original post by londonmyst
A heterosexual guy who is compatible with all my dealbreakers, at least 15 years older than me, 5'4 or taller, wants one biological child and is committed to being a co-parent for 18 years.

In terms of personal qualities: ambitious, bibliophile, calm, caring, clean shaven, dog friendly, employed/history of regularly working, fully assimiliated into mainstream english culture, healthy, honest, independent, intelligent, secular, smartly dressed, strong work ethic, take responsibility for himself & his life without attempting to apportion any blame elsewhere, opposes illegal immigration and has no moral qualms with stk-syg or mandatory full life tariffs for specific crimes & serial offenders.

Wow I am a little bit surprised by the at least 15 years older than me quality
Original post by Robert Walpole
Wow I am a little bit surprised by the at least 15 years older than me quality

I'm only attracted to guys that are older than me, have been since I started dating at 16.
I have never dated a guy in his 20s and never would.
Original post by londonmyst
I'm only attracted to guys that are older than me, have been since I started dating at 16.
I have never dated a guy in his 20s and never would.

Interesting, well at least you have a type and you know what you are looking for :smile:
What are the qualities that you are looking for in a long lasting, potentially lifetime, partner

has to fit into my future lifestyle. I want to travel with my job for 5-10 years so I want someone who would be willing to move a lot and doesn't want to settle down too soon. And I also want them to be ambitious. I think this will be hard to find so im not too confident!!
Original post by flamingolover
has to fit into my future lifestyle. I want to travel with my job for 5-10 years so I want someone who would be willing to move a lot and doesn't want to settle down too soon. And I also want them to be ambitious. I think this will be hard to find so im not too confident!!

What job is that and what would the travel destinations be? I am interested in international career paths
Reply 7

Heterosexual man
5-10 years older
Tall
Intelligent
Good sex
What job is that and what would the travel destinations be? I am interested in international career paths

I'm in vet school. I want to travel to lots of places to help set up veterinary care for domestic animals as well as conservation medicine. So South America, Asia, Africa places with lots of wildlife and conservation needs
Original post by 16 shot
Heterosexual man
5-10 years older
Tall
Intelligent
Good sex

Approximately what height range would be tall for you?

Original post by flamingolover
I'm in vet school. I want to travel to lots of places to help set up veterinary care for domestic animals as well as conservation medicine. So South America, Asia, Africa places with lots of wildlife and conservation needs

Ah - sounds like an amazing career path, imagine all of the scenery in real life and the adventures

Mature, patient, humour, kind, financial stability with both put together, preferably slightly older? (just my taste), taller.
Ah - sounds like an amazing career path, imagine all of the scenery in real life and the adventures

Yeah and id really be doing some good
Reply 12
Approximately what height range would be tall for you?

I'm quite short, I'm 5'3 (160cm). So tall for me would be 5'10 (177cm)

Personality, intelligence, financial stability, good sex and maturity are more important than height
How well they treat animals
I came on here to escape doing history revision, Robert Walpole
Reply 15
Similar ethos and outlook on life, level headed, tolerance for my weird music tastes, similar ethics, independent, switched on
Personally I go for looks. I know it's shallow but you have to have a connection looks wise to make a relationship last. Also personality is a huge factor.
Original post by gjd800
Similar ethos and outlook on life, level headed, tolerance for my weird music tastes, similar ethics, independent, switched on

Thank you for the reply. Ethos would be like a work ethic or more like religion? Whereas similar ethics would be more like worldview/philosophy? Would independent mean financial independence or more like autonomy in decision making, judgement etc
Original post by Asha_m
I came on here to escape doing history revision, Robert Walpole

Ah, do you have anything about my premiership in the curriculum? Most historians rank it highly
Original post by Kentinho99
Personally I go for looks. I know it's shallow but you have to have a connection looks wise to make a relationship last. Also personality is a huge factor.

That is fair enough
Reply 18
Thank you for the reply. Ethos would be like a work ethic or more like religion? Whereas similar ethics would be more like worldview/philosophy? Would independent mean financial independence or more like autonomy in decision making, judgement etc

Ah, do you have anything about my premiership in the curriculum? Most historians rank it highly

That is fair enough

Yes, work ethic is close. Also the Buddhist notion of right livelihood is quite important, so a pseudo-religious aspect for me, yes :smile:

My other half does not share my religious leanings (insofar as I have any), but does share the broad thrust of their meaning, I.e. not doing jobs that hurt or exploit people etc, so all good

Independence is more about being strong willed and ready to do things by themselves if necessary (so there is an element of decision making), not clingy or requiring constant validation etc
(edited 2 years ago)

Moi? Someone slightly handsomer, funnier, richer, less self-absorbed than my husband of 25yrs. That should do.

Quick Reply

Latest