The Student Room Group

Is class important when in relationships?

Basically the question above.
Does class matter when it comes to romance?
I don't think it does.
What do other people think?

Scroll to see replies

might be a bit weird if you're in year 13 and she's in year 5 mate
Original post by Kentinho99
I don't think it does.

Socioeconomic class should not matter but, to some people, it does.
Awkward if one side can only afford £5,000 for the wedding and the other £30,000
Original post by Wired_1800
Socioeconomic class should not matter but, to some people, it does.

I agree to me it does not matter but to people it does
I don't think it does.

Contrary to the statements that are made here, class and social status matter quite a lot in relationships. Not to everyone of course but they are very important to a large number of those who are looking for a stable and long term relationship. In many occasions these two, class and social status, could be the most important factors in deciding whether to pursue a relationship.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Lucifer323
Contrary to the statements that are made here, class and social status matter quite a lot in relationships. Not to everyone of course but they are very important to a large number of those who are looking for a stable and long term relationship. In many occasions these class and social status could be the most important factors in deciding whether to pursue a relationship.

I guess I get what you mean like of course some money and some economic status does matter but not too much.
I guess I get what you mean like of course some money and some economic status does matter but not too much.

To a good number of people these count quite a lot. But not to everyone.
Original post by Asha_m
Awkward if one side can only afford £5,000 for the wedding and the other £30,000

I hear you but isn't love stronger than money.
I'm assuming that you are referring to "class" within a context of social class, family backgrounds and perceptions of them.
Nothing connected with school year groups based upon year of birth.

Whether social class and issues closely connected to it is considered important will vary between different individuals.
Different people have different dealbreakers, relationship preferences, political beliefs and lifestyle ambitions.
Many people consider social class irrelevant to them.
While others have a personal lifestyle preference or wish to conform to a strict family tradition of rigid class divisions.
Divisions with no close social involvement with those of a different class background and little tolerance for unnecessary interactions betweeen members of different social classes.
Original post by londonmyst
I'm assuming that you are referring to "class" within a context of social class, family backgrounds and perceptions of them.
Nothing connected with school year groups based upon year of birth.

Whether social class and issues closely connected to it is considered important will vary between different individuals.
Different people have different dealbreakers, relationship preferences, political beliefs and lifestyle ambitions.
Many people consider social class irrelevant to them.
While others have a personal lifestyle preference or wish to conform to a strict family tradition of rigid class divisions.
Divisions with no close social involvement with those of a different class background and little tolerance for unnecessary interactions betweeen members of different social classes.

That's really true. What's your opinion though? Do you think it matters or not?
I hear you but isn't love stronger than money.

The family of the richer one may have things to say, though
That's really true. What's your opinion though? Do you think it matters or not?

To me, yes.
Original post by Lucifer323
To a good number of people these count quite a lot. But not to everyone.

Yeah I get what you mean
Original post by londonmyst
To me, yes.

Fair enough
Original post by Asha_m
The family of the richer one may have things to say, though

Yeah I guess so but it isn't just dependent on the families. If two people are in love then let them be in love. That's my opinion
I believe that if there is compatibility in terms of norms and values as well as long-term goals, then class becomes a factor of lesser importance as to be considered inconsequential to the success of a relationship

For example, imagine a working class guy from the outskirts of Manchester or from Scotland who did well at a state school and got accepted to study let's say Finance in London, gets an internship in a bank over the summer and meets a middle-middle class counterpart whose family are academics. If there's compatibility in terms of where they want to get, their class background becomes secondary.

Another example would be a doctor suddenly dating a retail shop worker - here there may be a really good chemistry independent of class influenced by multiple other factors. It may also turn out that retail shop worker actually has varied interests and long term goals that are compatible with the doctor, or vice versa, or may have an interesting life story. I have heard of a British GP dating a Romanian shop keeper. It depends on case by case basis.
Reply 17
It's everything else that is bundled in under 'class', it's not an abstraction and brings real-world implications
Original post by Anonymous
I believe that if there is compatibility in terms of norms and values as well as long-term goals, then class becomes a factor of lesser importance as to be considered inconsequential to the success of a relationship

For example, imagine a working class guy from the outskirts of Manchester or from Scotland who did well at a state school and got accepted to study let's say Finance in London, gets an internship in a bank over the summer and meets a middle-middle class counterpart whose family are academics. If there's compatibility in terms of where they want to get, their class background becomes secondary.

Another example would be a doctor suddenly dating a retail shop worker - here there may be a really good chemistry independent of class influenced by multiple other factors. It may also turn out that retail shop worker actually has varied interests and long term goals that are compatible with the doctor, or vice versa, or may have an interesting life story. I have heard of a British GP dating a Romanian shop keeper. It depends on case by case basis.

Yeah I totally agree with what you mean. It depends on if they are in love.
It doesn’t matter to me, but it has mattered a lot to some people I have been out with.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending