The Student Room Group

College vs Sixth form

Hey!

Im currently in a sticky situation about colleges and sixth forms.

To break it down im going to a form of educational institution whether its a sixth form or college in September joining to do a levels.

Im currently on the waiting list for the desired college I want to attend However, I am definitely planning to go through the process of emailing them my GCSE results after results day. BUT, not knowing if I have a secure definite place at the college I will tell my current sixth form (which I do have a secure place ) hence ill be attending sixth form. If I do get into the college ill reject my offer at sixth form (hopefully I do get into the college - fingers crossed)

But, im sure you are aware that there are significant pros and cons.

Any people who attend college or sixth form please provide me your experience and the distinguish them both.

Im aware that colleges are more independent hence why I wanted to go to college.

And sixth forms are very similar to high school.

The pros and cons I can see for sixth form is that

I can get free textbooks
Its 18 minute walk (no bus route)
Teachers will be the same although dont have a significant bond.
Students will be the same although im not significantly close to them.

College pros and cons:

Half an hour on bus (got my bus situ sorted)
Walking an hour.
Textbooks aren't provided but I dont know if ill have much use as I didn't find them helpful at GCSE level.
Higher entry requirements for each course.
Original post by dingdongbtches
Hey!

Im currently in a sticky situation about colleges and sixth forms.

To break it down im going to a form of educational institution whether its a sixth form or college in September joining to do a levels.

Im currently on the waiting list for the desired college I want to attend However, I am definitely planning to go through the process of emailing them my GCSE results after results day. BUT, not knowing if I have a secure definite place at the college I will tell my current sixth form (which I do have a secure place ) hence ill be attending sixth form. If I do get into the college ill reject my offer at sixth form (hopefully I do get into the college - fingers crossed)

But, im sure you are aware that there are significant pros and cons.

Any people who attend college or sixth form please provide me your experience and the distinguish them both.

Im aware that colleges are more independent hence why I wanted to go to college.

And sixth forms are very similar to high school.

The pros and cons I can see for sixth form is that

I can get free textbooks
Its 18 minute walk (no bus route)
Teachers will be the same although dont have a significant bond.
Students will be the same although im not significantly close to them.

College pros and cons:

Half an hour on bus (got my bus situ sorted)
Walking an hour.
Textbooks aren't provided but I dont know if ill have much use as I didn't find them helpful at GCSE level.
Higher entry requirements for each course.

I was in the same situation last year trying to decide where to go. My friends were all staying at sixth form, which was a whole lot closer (i get 2 buses to college) and had good results but i wanted the independence and be able to to use my phone whenever and wear what i want. I chose college in the end and it took me a while to get used to it, but after the first month i had loads of new friends and i'm really glad i chose to go to a new place rather than stay at the same school for another two years. College is very independent especially with revision and stuff so if you need people pushing you to keep on top of work you might struggle but otherwise go for it!
Original post by xkatierebecca
I was in the same situation last year trying to decide where to go. My friends were all staying at sixth form, which was a whole lot closer (i get 2 buses to college) and had good results but i wanted the independence and be able to to use my phone whenever and wear what i want. I chose college in the end and it took me a while to get used to it, but after the first month i had loads of new friends and i'm really glad i chose to go to a new place rather than stay at the same school for another two years. College is very independent especially with revision and stuff so if you need people pushing you to keep on top of work you might struggle but otherwise go for it!

Thank you!

What a levels do u do? - very off topic sorry.
Original post by dingdongbtches
Thank you!

What a levels do u do? - very off topic sorry.

i do biology, drama and psychology!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending