The Student Room Group

most employable degrees?

what degrees do u think are most employable and why ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by simplyikrah

Computer science can be used in lots of different fields, so I would say it's pretty high up on the list
Reply 2

medicine
Computer Science, Medicine, Maths.

Then Economics, engineering

Law

This is just from my perceptions though! I could be wrong, I'm not saying this is an absolute.
Computer science is definitely NOT the most employable. It’s actually got worse unemployment rates than pretty much every other subject. The government keep doing reviews into why this is but there’s no improvement in the stats.

Too many students pick it as a degree thinking it will prepare them for employment. It doesn’t. You need industry experience and commercial awareness plus a bunch of soft skills on top of a CS degree.
Original post by econhelp525
Computer Science, Medicine, Maths.

Then Economics, engineering

Law

This is just from my perceptions though! I could be wrong, I'm not saying this is an absolute.

which one do you think is highest paying?
how about business degrees and psychology degrees?

Teaching- we always need teachers.
Medicine/dentistry- we always need doctors, dentists etc I'm

Economics seems to be the best paying across degrees, although I'm not really sure why econ graduates are shown to earn more than maths graduates?? Must be something funny with the data
Business computing
Business information systems
Business analytics

Mickey mouse too?
Original post by econhelp525
Economics seems to be the best paying across degrees, although I'm not really sure why econ graduates are shown to earn more than maths graduates?? Must be something funny with the data

I think there is a big fall off between economics at a top ranked university and those in the mid ranks. The top few courses are very quantitively focussed which may put them more into maths grad territory, and lots are aiming at jobs which pay very well for new grads and at the five year point.
things that are always needed - teaching, medicine, nursing, social work etc
I mean most employable in the sense of proportion of graduates going on to graduate level work is almost certainly going to be medicine since the course is essentially designed to be a conveyor belt to working as a junior doctor in a foundation post in the NHS...

In my years of study in HE I've come around to the thinking that other than medicine there are no "employable degrees", there are only employable graduates - and it very much depends on the individuals and what they've done to make themselves employable, rather than the subject they studied.

Also I feel like doing a super niche degree that is objectively not "employable" or at least relevant to the modern workplace explicitly and then still going on to make something of yourself is more impressive than just getting into an "employable degree" and hoping that you get a job with minimal effort involved :tongue:
Reply 13

depends on skills
There’s a lot of technology apprenticeships. Don’t really need a degree for computer science anymore

According to student beans the courses with the highest employment rates are subjects allied to medicine, teaching and education, veterinary science, nursing, medicine and dentistry
how about business degrees...

Business (and related) degrees are actually more employable than many people on TSR give credit for, at least if done at a university that offers a placement programme of some sort, or otherwise has strong business links.
how about if a business degree was my only last option? does it mean i have less chance of being employed?
Original post by Smack
Business (and related) degrees are actually more employable than many people on TSR give credit for, at least if done at a university that offers a placement programme of some sort, or otherwise has strong business links.

which one is better - business management vs business with marketing?
which one is better - business management vs business with marketing?

depends if you want to work in management/admin or marketing and whether the marketing degree has CMI accreditation
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending