The Student Room Group

Stomach pain for 1 month?

I have been experiencing constipation, and abdominal pain since 1 month. It hurts around the belly button and below. I also hear sounds in my stomach and have cramps pain which comes and goes. My stools are normal but I do have to strain on some days.
I went to A&E twice, spoke to 111 and even went to the GP but no help. They are not willing to do imaging tests and keep saying i have gastritis, IBS etc.
However, today my stomach feels fuller as if I have gained weight there. I have a little bit of fat so my belly isn't flat but it does feel a bit more protruded.
What can I do? Where can I get an ultrasound or abdominal x ray? And is this serious?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
On someday when I have abdominal pain and if I have not eaten anything, my stomach hurts even more. After eating, it stops hurting.
Original post by Anonymous
I have been experiencing constipation, and abdominal pain since 1 month. It hurts around the belly button and below. I also hear sounds in my stomach and have cramps pain which comes and goes. My stools are normal but I do have to strain on some days.
I went to A&E twice, spoke to 111 and even went to the GP but no help. They are not willing to do imaging tests and keep saying i have gastritis, IBS etc.
However, today my stomach feels fuller as if I have gained weight there. I have a little bit of fat so my belly isn't flat but it does feel a bit more protruded.
What can I do? Where can I get an ultrasound or abdominal x ray? And is this serious?

I think you can go back again, and if they refuse to treat you further, ask them to put it on file that they refused to treat you. This might be an American thing, but then they're in trouble if they're wrong and you get much more ill! Might motivate them into double checking.
Reply 3
I think you can go back again, and if they refuse to treat you further, ask them to put it on file that they refused to treat you. This might be an American thing, but then they're in trouble if they're wrong and you get much more ill! Might motivate them into double checking.

They have made notes already
They have made notes already

ask them to put it on paper that they said no to treating you. It's on their head if you get worse:smile:
Reply 5
ask them to put it on paper that they said no to treating you. It's on their head if you get worse:smile:

They won't do that. The doctors are too bossy
They won't do that. The doctors are too bossy

There's no point in me giving advice if you don't try it. Go back and explain that you're concerned, and you want it explained to you why no further actions are being taken.
Reply 7
There's no point in me giving advice if you don't try it. Go back and explain that you're concerned, and you want it explained to you why no further actions are being taken.

I already said they don't agree with imaging. I asked so many times yet they didn't agree. I can't keep hoig back snd trying to force it
Reply 8

if you truly believe there's something wrong then go private..
I already said they don't agree with imaging. I asked so many times yet they didn't agree. I can't keep hoig back snd trying to force it

You've ignored what I've written. Forget the imaging. Ask them to explain why they won't. It sounds like you're unsure, and if you speak to them and are explained that actually, they are correct/incorrect, you might feel better. You are in pain, you have a legitimate reason to be distressed, explain to them that you don't feel safe not taking further action.
Reply 10
What makes you think you don't have gastritis or IBS?
Original post by ANM775

You've ignored what I've written. Forget the imaging. Ask them to explain why they won't. It sounds like you're unsure, and if you speak to them and are explained that actually, they are correct/incorrect, you might feel better. You are in pain, you have a legitimate reason to be distressed, explain to them that you don't feel safe not taking further action.

I asked them why. They simply said it's gastritis
gastritis or IBS
Original post by volka
What makes you think you don't have gastritis or IBS?

I think I have problems with my intestine or obstruction? I'm thinking the worst tho
Original post by ANM775

The prices are insane but I'm considering an ultrasound
Reply 14
I think I have problems with my intestine or obstruction? I'm thinking the worst tho

IBS is a problem with the intestine. You would have ended up in hospital long ago if you had an obstruction!
Original post by volka
IBS is a problem with the intestine. You would have ended up in hospital long ago if you had an obstruction!

But it could be gradual with obstruction? It doesn't happen out of the blue
Reply 16
But it could be gradual with obstruction? It doesn't happen out of the blue

What make you think you have an obstruction?
Original post by volka
What make you think you have an obstruction?

Straining sometimes , feeling like I haven't emptied by bowels and it doesn't empty in 1 go..noises in the stomach and pain???
Reply 18
Straining sometimes , feeling like I haven't emptied by bowels and it doesn't empty in 1 go..noises in the stomach and pain???

Sounds more like constipation to me... You have been seen and examined by at least 3 different doctors who presumably didn't think you had obstruction?

Obviously GP/doctors thought there isn't anything serious to worry about that they won't send you for any xrays/ultrasound tests at hospital as otherwise they would have done so.

I think everybody gets stomach noises as nothing to worry about ok.

I would intend to think its constipation you got as certain foods etc can do this to any of us .

Here's a reason to think about why your GP not sending you for any tests etc okay.

How do I know if my stomach pain is serious.......... If any of this sounds like what you got then seek medical advise ( I'm a registered NHS nurse ) I can't diagnosed you as that's why you got a doctor for to tell you what is wrong with you.

You should get help immediately if you develop any of the following symptoms along with your stomach pain:
Abdomen is extremely hard.
Abdominal tenderness when it is touched.
Coughing up or vomiting blood.
Persistent vomiting.
Bloody diarrhea.
Chest pain or pressure.
Difficulty breathing.
Dizziness.

Quick Reply

Latest