The Student Room Group

What universities for law with criminology?

Hi I'm interested in studying Law with Criminology. I'm applying in October for 2022. I've been to a couple of open days and decided two options already. Which are, the university of Birmingham and Royal Holloway, university of London. Can anyone suggest some other university's which are worth checking out? Thank you.
Reply 2

Hi you can correct me if I'm wrong. But I've heard low entry requirements means a bad university. So choosing a course at the low end of 'the range' would mean I'm applying for a university which is poor for law and would potentially give me no good job prospectus after I graduate.
Original post by Titch1781
Hi you can correct me if I'm wrong. But I've heard low entry requirements means a bad university. So choosing a course at the low end of 'the range' would mean I'm applying for a university which is poor for law and would potentially give me no good job prospectus after I graduate.

Just because Uni A asks AAA and Uni B asks A*AA does not in itself mean that that Uni, or that Law course, is 'better'.

Entry requirements are like a form of marketing or commercial pricing - each University positions itself and asks for what it thinks will 'sell' the course given previous application / offer/ acceptance stats, entry requirements at Unis they perceive to be at the same level as them, etc etc. Some of this is bluffing btw - 'if we raise the entry requirements, we'll look good and get better applicants' against 'if you set the entry grades too high you wont get enough applicants, and you'll risk the embarrassment of having Law in Clearing because the course isnt full'. Every year I would have these sort of conversations with academic staff.

Yes, aim as high as you can - but you also have to be realistic about how likely you are to get an offer, and how likely you are to get the required grades/LNAT score. Choosing 5 x AAA/A*AA courses is risky - competition will be fierce and you may only get two/three offers. With all the same offer grades, how are you going to have a 'safe' Insurance choice? This is why having at least one non-RG/top (but still 'good') Uni is always advised. You are going to have a restricted list of Unis you can apply to - not every Law School offers Law & Crim - so you may even have to include two non-RG/AAA courses.
Reply 4
Original post by McGinger
Just because Uni A asks AAA and Uni B asks A*AA does not in itself mean that that Uni, or that Law course, is 'better'.

Entry requirements are like a form of marketing or commercial pricing - each University positions itself and asks for what it thinks will 'sell' the course given previous application / offer/ acceptance stats, entry requirements at Unis they perceive to be at the same level as them, etc etc. Some of this is bluffing btw - 'if we raise the entry requirements, we'll look good and get better applicants' against 'if you set the entry grades too high you wont get enough applicants, and you'll risk the embarrassment of having Law in Clearing because the course isnt full'. Every year I would have these sort of conversations with academic staff.

Yes, aim as high as you can - but you also have to be realistic about how likely you are to get an offer, and how likely you are to get the required grades/LNAT score. Choosing 5 x AAA/A*AA courses is risky - competition will be fierce and you may only get two/three offers. With all the same offer grades, how are you going to have a 'safe' Insurance choice? This is why having at least one non-RG/top (but still 'good') Uni is always advised. You are going to have a restricted list of Unis you can apply to - not every Law School offers Law & Crim - so you may even have to include two non-RG/AAA courses.

Wow that makes a lot of sense. I feel a bit stupid not thinking that way. Thank you for the advice. Can you suggest a couple of non-RG unis please. I've heard edge hill is good. :smile:
Surrey, Kent and Lancaster are certainly up there - but you do need to remember the advice about having at least one Uni well below your predicted grades. Edge Hill is an ex-teacher-training college - good for sport and teaching but not 'known' for Law.
Reply 6
Original post by McGinger
Surrey, Kent and Lancaster are certainly up there - but you do need to remember the advice about having at least one Uni well below your predicted grades. Edge Hill is an ex-teacher-training college - good for sport and teaching but not 'known' for Law.

I don't like surrey or kent. I've been to an online open day for Lancaster and i liked it so ill choose Lancaster.
Hi, Just thought I would give you a bit of information about the courses at Edge Hill as you mentioned them in your last post. Edge Hill offer two courses that combine the subjects Law and Criminology, I thought I would include the links so you can find out more about our courses: LLB Law with Criminology - https://www.edgehill.ac.uk/courses/law-with-criminology/ BA Criminology and Law -https://www.edgehill.ac.uk/courses/criminology-and-law/Students on some of our Law courses get to practice their skills in our own mock court room on campus and in our pro-bono law clinic. Students also have to opportunity to visit courthouses like the Supreme Court in London! Hope this helps :smile:Edge Hill Team

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending