The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Accomodation in Southampton

Hello!

I am a future first-year student at the University of Southampton. I applied for an enhanced en-suite at Glen Eyre and a studio at Green Wood Court.
Can someone please make me a comparison between the two of them (besides the fact that one has a private kitchen and the other doesn't)?

Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by Socratic
Green Wood is a private hall; Glen Eyre is owned by the university.

Similar locations, but Glen Eyre is more tucked away, bigger, and has nicer buildings/design.

Do you have a car? University halls don't let you park without a permit under one of the categories, e.g. medical. Green Wood has free parking.

A room in Glen Eyre will be more sociable than a studio in Green Wood.

Glen Eyre has more facilities: bar, gym, computers, etc.

Overall, Glen Eyre is better for a first-year undergrad.

Thank you! I still don't have a driver's license so it won't be the case with the car :smile:))
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you! I still don't have a driver's license so it won't be the case with the car :smile:))

Original post by Socratic
Green Wood is a private hall; Glen Eyre is owned by the university.

Similar locations, but Glen Eyre is more tucked away, bigger, and has nicer buildings/design.

Do you have a car? University halls don't let you park without a permit under one of the categories, e.g. medical. Green Wood has free parking.

A room in Glen Eyre will be more sociable than a studio in Green Wood.

Glen Eyre has more facilities: bar, gym, computers, etc.

Overall, Glen Eyre is better for a first-year undergrad.

Hi!

Whilst I can't directly comment on Green Wood or make an accurate comparison, I've never heard of the halls and have been studying in Southampton for three years.

In terms of Glen Eyre however, I lived there during my first year of uni and had a brilliant time, I can't recommend it enough in terms of the location, facilities and the sociable nature of the halls complex due to its layout! Have yo had chance to watch the virtual tours of the different categories of accommodation in Glen Eyre? This might give you more of an idea of what its like!

Which sort of room are you looking at?

Lottie :smile:
Third year ambassador
Hello!

I am a future first-year student at the University of Southampton. I applied for an enhanced en-suite at Glen Eyre and a studio at Green Wood Court.
Can someone please make me a comparison between the two of them (besides the fact that one has a private kitchen and the other doesn't)?

Thanks!

Hello!
I am currently living at Green Wood Court so can hopefully offer you an opinion. As you will know, GWC is not owned by the university, they're privately owned. GWC has it's positives - depending on the room, it's generally much cheaper, there's free parking and the facilities are good. However, as you will be going into first year I strongly recommend you go for Glen Eyre. GWC is a bit on the edge of Southampton, there's not much within walking distance - there's a co-op down the road and you can walk to uni but beyond that it's not the best located. There is a bus stop outside where the U2B stops - this bus comes around every 30 minutes and takes you from GWC to mayflower halls (city centre). It doesn't go through portswood where there is a big sasinsbury's and lots of places to go on a night out so it's a bit of a faff to get there. The team here is really friendly and helpful but we have had issues with flooding and leaks, and there isn't an onsite security team 24/7 (staff are onsite 9-5:30, Mon-Fri). I came to GWC as a postgraduate, it offers 50 week lets for the same price as 44 weeks which is helpful as I'm in uni over the summer. However, I would have preferred a house. GWC isn't 'bad' but I think you'll have a better time at Glen Eyre. This is just my opinion of course but let me know if you have any more questions!
Amy (4th year student ambassador)
Reply 4
Original post by Uni of Southampton Students
Hi!

Whilst I can't directly comment on Green Wood or make an accurate comparison, I've never heard of the halls and have been studying in Southampton for three years.

In terms of Glen Eyre however, I lived there during my first year of uni and had a brilliant time, I can't recommend it enough in terms of the location, facilities and the sociable nature of the halls complex due to its layout! Have yo had chance to watch the virtual tours of the different categories of accommodation in Glen Eyre? This might give you more of an idea of what its like!

Which sort of room are you looking at?

Lottie :smile:
Third year ambassador

Hi Lottie!

Thank you for your reply! I watched the 360 tours of Glen Eyre on YouTube. What I am looking for is to at least have my own bathroom and also have some space. I already opted for an enhanced en-suite at Glen Eyre. From what I know and saw in the tours, the en-suites have at most 11 m^2. They seemed a bit squeezed in. Is that correct or it's just the looks that fool the eye?
Reply 5
Original post by Uni of Southampton Students
Hello!
I am currently living at Green Wood Court so can hopefully offer you an opinion. As you will know, GWC is not owned by the university, they're privately owned. GWC has it's positives - depending on the room, it's generally much cheaper, there's free parking and the facilities are good. However, as you will be going into first year I strongly recommend you go for Glen Eyre. GWC is a bit on the edge of Southampton, there's not much within walking distance - there's a co-op down the road and you can walk to uni but beyond that it's not the best located. There is a bus stop outside where the U2B stops - this bus comes around every 30 minutes and takes you from GWC to mayflower halls (city centre). It doesn't go through portswood where there is a big sasinsbury's and lots of places to go on a night out so it's a bit of a faff to get there. The team here is really friendly and helpful but we have had issues with flooding and leaks, and there isn't an onsite security team 24/7 (staff are onsite 9-5:30, Mon-Fri). I came to GWC as a postgraduate, it offers 50 week lets for the same price as 44 weeks which is helpful as I'm in uni over the summer. However, I would have preferred a house. GWC isn't 'bad' but I think you'll have a better time at Glen Eyre. This is just my opinion of course but let me know if you have any more questions!

Hi Amy!

Thank you for your reply! Could you please tell me more about the problems you had with flooding and leaks (like how often, were they because of the rain or something like that, or simply someone forgot the tap on, etc.)? I guess that if you stay at GWC you don't get a free Unilink bus pass, even though you are at uni. Is that right? If so, how much would it cost trip to the city centre or, let's say, a monthly pass? Have you had problems because there was no onsite security 24/7?
Hi Amy!

Thank you for your reply! Could you please tell me more about the problems you had with flooding and leaks (like how often, were they because of the rain or something like that, or simply someone forgot the tap on, etc.)? I guess that if you stay at GWC you don't get a free Unilink bus pass, even though you are at uni. Is that right? If so, how much would it cost trip to the city centre or, let's say, a monthly pass? Have you had problems because there was no onsite security 24/7?

Hello!
So the flooding/leaks were related to the rain. First week I moved in some of the ground floor flats flooded - it hasn't happened since but water has built up outside in big-rain events - maybe they fixed something. I live on the third floor and we have consistently had flooding through the ceiling in our shower room and occasionally in the kitchen when the rain has been heavy. They did try to fix the roof but that didn't work, I know they're still trying though! That isn't the case for every 3rd floor flat, we may be the only ones. And yeah that's right, no bus pass. It's £3.70 for a day pass, £45 for a month pass and £405 for an annual pass (according to the uninlink website). No massive issues with security - there were some people 'gathering' in the carpark at somepoint but my flatmate reported them to the police so they disappeared, and there are sometimes loud parties during the common room, which is fine but during lockdown that was a bit frustrating! GWC is cheap and so there are little issues that come with that - it's not a bad place to live at all though and the rooms are nice (probably nicer than what you'd get in Glen, though a little small) it's just a little bit cut off. Hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending