The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Is Exeter boring?

Hi all! I've been looking into Exeter for the LLB program, however I've heard the student life (nightclubs, shopping, etc.) is not great. Can any former/current Exeter student please let me know the pros and cons of student life at Exeter?

I would greatly appreciate it :smile:
Original post by itssummertime96
Hi all! I've been looking into Exeter for the LLB program, however I've heard the student life (nightclubs, shopping, etc.) is not great. Can any former/current Exeter student please let me know the pros and cons of student life at Exeter?

I would greatly appreciate it :smile:

Hi, currently just finished my first year in exe!! I come from Birmingham so I can kinda compare the two. tbh nightlife is a lot better than I expected it to be! it's not a major night out like Birmingham, Notts or Leeds but it's actually quite good. You kinda get like a different vibe in a good way though because you will always bump into someone you know there and it's got that student feel to it. The main clubs students tend to go to are Unit 1, Timepiece, Fever and Move. I've only been to three of the four but loved all of them as a Brummie. You also have a few more places you can go which aren't clubs in Exe. There's several cocktail bars in town such as pink moon, turtle bay and coolings to name a few. We also have three spoons in the centre of exe (one of which is the biggest in the UK).

As for shopping, it's not that bad in my personal opinion. Most things I have wanted I have been able to get them in town which is such a short walk from campus. You have several grocery shops there (Sainsburys local and Tesco), fast food restaurants, drugstores and the basic clothes stores (H&M, primark etc.). There's also a cute alleyway in town with all vintage and crystal shops if you're into that haha. Only downside I would say about shopping in Exe is that the prices can be slightly pricey at times in terms of food shopping.

Overall, I'm loving my time at Exe and would say it's far from boring and wouldn't change it to a bigger city uni as I love the vibe. Any questions lmk though :smile:
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Original post by Dechante
Hi, currently just finished my first year in exe!! I come from Birmingham so I can kinda compare the two. tbh nightlife is a lot better than I expected it to be! it's not a major night out like Birmingham, Notts or Leeds but it's actually quite good. You kinda get like a different vibe in a good way though because you will always bump into someone you know there and it's got that student feel to it. The main clubs students tend to go to are Unit 1, Timepiece, Fever and Move. I've only been to three of the four but loved all of them as a Brummie. You also have a few more places you can go which aren't clubs in Exe. There's several cocktail bars in town such as pink moon, turtle bay and coolings to name a few. We also have three spoons in the centre of exe (one of which is the biggest in the UK).

As for shopping, it's not that bad in my personal opinion. Most things I have wanted I have been able to get them in town which is such a short walk from campus. You have several grocery shops there (Sainsburys local and Tesco), fast food restaurants, drugstores and the basic clothes stores (H&M, primark etc.). There's also a cute alleyway in town with all vintage and crystal shops if you're into that haha. Only downside I would say about shopping in Exe is that the prices can be slightly pricey at times in terms of food shopping.

Overall, I'm loving my time at Exe and would say it's far from boring and wouldn't change it to a bigger city uni as I love the vibe. Any questions lmk though :smile:

Thank you so much! This was very informative. Also, how would you describe the student environment? I heard Exeter is not ethically diverse, being a minority I don't want it to be difficult fitting in.
Thank you so much! This was very informative. Also, how would you describe the student environment? I heard Exeter is not ethically diverse, being a minority I don't want it to be difficult fitting in.

Hello @itssummertime96,

I just wanted to also comment on the concerns raised about diversity at Exeter; you are not alone with these concerns. As a region the South West of the UK is less diverse than other parts of the UK. As a university we continue to make progress in building a more ethnically diverse UK undergraduate student body, increasing the proportion of home Black, Asian and other minority ethnicities (BAME) students steadily from 5.8% in 2011/12 to 12% more recently. It is also worth noting that significant number of our students are international coming from over 130 different countries around the world.

We actively celebrate religious festivals such as Diwali and Chinese new year with fun and informative activities, which are open to the staff, students and the wider community. We also have many student clubs and societies that actively promote diversity such as our Arabic & Middle Eastern Society, BIPOC (Black, Indigenous & People of Colour), LGTBQ, African and Caribbean Society (ACS). You can see the full list of societies at our Exeter and Cornwall campuses to see the diversity of interests are students have demonstrating the range of backgrounds our students come from.

You may also find it useful to speak to some of our current students to see what they say. Our message a current student service is a great way to speak to them directly: https://www.exeter.ac.uk/study/life/ask-a-student/

I hope this helps to reassure you a little. If you have any questions, I can help with please just ask, otherwise good luck with you decision making.

Melody
University of Exeter Student Recruitment Team

Hi, I'm black so hopefully I can be the one of the best students to help answer this question. I'm not gonna lie it's not the most diverse university in terms of ethnicity but that is probably due to it being the South West of the UK. I would say around 10-15% of the uni are POC from looking around campus. For example, in the halls I stayed in in my first year there were 80 people in my block and only two of us were black but I would say in total there were probably 10 people who were POC. Even though, it's not ethnically diverse it doesn't mean that the university itself is racist. I personally wouldn't say its been hard fitting in and its nice to see that there are different cultures and you can find so many people who are interested in it. For example, some of my old flat liked Caribbean food and asked if I knew how to cook it etc. However, there are several societies to join to promote diversity. In my second year, I'm planning on joining the African Caribbean Society as I think it would be nice to meet more people who I guess I could relate to.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending