The Student Room Group

Uni and diabetes (T1D)

Hi everyone,

As the title suggests, I am diabetic and will soon be entering university. I don't know many diabetics and I sometimes feel a bit lonely with my condition, so I'm looking around this forum to see if there are other people in the same situation!
Original post by Haïku
Hi everyone,

As the title suggests, I am diabetic and will soon be entering university. I don't know many diabetics and I sometimes feel a bit lonely with my condition, so I'm looking around this forum to see if there are other people in the same situation!

Do you manage your T1DM by DAFNE?
Reply 2
Original post by Reality Check
Do you manage your T1DM by DAFNE?

No I don't because I can't seem to count my carbs... But for the moment I think I'm doing well in terms of physical health, it's however more complicated mentally.
Original post by Haïku
No I don't because I can't seem to count my carbs... But for the moment I think I'm doing well in terms of physical health, it's however more complicated mentally.

Yes, I understand that. :smile:
Original post by Haïku
Hi everyone,

Hey Haïku!

I think you'll be positively surprised with how many individuals are in the same boat as you, and also how supportive people can be! During my undergraduate degree, I knew many people diabetics - and it was something I never met anyone with prior to University (Or at least not known about). An important part of diabetes is teaching people, and your housemates and friends will be wanting to learn to best help you wherever they can; University life is a big community, and communities like to help one-another.

It's also important to inform the University at the first instance. I assume many Universities are the same, but I know the University of Kent will provide a mini-fridge in your room to store insulin vials, and they will also allow you to have additional support. It varies by case, but this can be things like additional exam time if injections are needed, extended library book loan times and more.

I hope this helps!
- Nathan
UKC Rep

Quick Reply

Latest