The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL Media BA Applicants & Advice

I'm intending to apply for the UCL Media BA degree for 2022 entry. I heard that this is a brand new course starting from 2021 and it's heavily oversubscribed and competitive. Does anyone know what was the rough number of applicants for 2021 entry?

Besides that, I'm taking A-levels but my subjects aren't directly related to media... Will that be a disadvantage? Can anyone with an offer in this degree from UCL give any advice on personal statement as well? Thank you!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by evelyn7330
I'm intending to apply for the UCL Media BA degree for 2022 entry. I heard that this is a brand new course starting from 2021 and it's heavily oversubscribed and competitive. Does anyone know what was the rough number of applicants for 2021 entry?

Besides that, I'm taking A-levels but my subjects aren't directly related to media... Will that be a disadvantage? Can anyone with an offer in this degree from UCL give any advice on personal statement as well? Thank you!!

Hi,

I got accepted onto the course for this year! There are about 40 people on the course for 2021 but I believe by your time in 2022 it will rise to 80 people.

What A-Levels are you currently studying?

I'm not sure whether the subjects you are studying will put you at the disadvantage because I did study Media and Film for my A-Levels so I instantly was at an advantage in terms of I know the cores and can do some of the practicals. I don't think it really matters but they do want to see that you have an interest in media, so in your personal statement include that you do things related to the course (i.e. you may run a blog or have a YouTube channel, you've participated in some sort of media work experience or extracurriculars, etc.). If you don't have any of these things, do try and start one.

Also, you might want to mention what you want to do after the degree as they really tailor this course to people who have an idea of what they might want to do to essentially guide you in the direction of your chosen career. As well as this, talk about why the media is important to you - they really like this because it shows you have a passion beyond just trying to get into the industry or do the degree.

Hope this helps :smile:
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by Georgia Jayy
Hi,

I got accepted onto the course for this year! There are about 40 people on the course for 2021 but I believe by your time in 2022 it will rise to 80 people.

What A-Levels are you currently studying?

I'm not sure whether the subjects you are studying will put you at the disadvantage because I did study Media and Film for my A-Levels so I instantly was at an advantage in terms of I know the cores and can do some of the practicals. I don't think it really matters but they do want to see that you have an interest in media, so in your personal statement include that you do things related to the course (i.e. you may run a blog or have a YouTube channel, you've participated in some sort of media work experience or extracurriculars, etc.). If you don't have any of these things, do try and start one.

Also, you might want to mention what you want to do after the degree as they really tailor this course to people who have an idea of what they might want to do to essentially guide you in the direction of your chosen career. As well as this, talk about why the media is important to you - they really like this because it shows you have a passion beyond just trying to get into the industry or do the degree.

Hope this helps :smile:

Hi! Congratulations and thank you for your advice!

I'm currently studying Maths, Economics and Geography ... which don't relate to Media at all but I do take some online courses about films, media literacy and so forth. Are these also considered academic background?

I also have some follow-up question if you don't mind. I read on the UCL website regarding the personal statement that I should write about films and games/interactive media. Is it better to write about both or to delve into a specific part?

In terms of media practice, I have neither experience before in terms of films nor media production of my own like blogs or vlogs but I have some work experience like social media internship and media-related project intern. Does UCL value anything more or is every experience just equally appropriate?

Sorry if my questions are a bit overwhelming :frown:
Hi! Congratulations and thank you for your advice!

I'm currently studying Maths, Economics and Geography ... which don't relate to Media at all but I do take some online courses about films, media literacy and so forth. Are these also considered academic background?

I also have some follow-up question if you don't mind. I read on the UCL website regarding the personal statement that I should write about films and games/interactive media. Is it better to write about both or to delve into a specific part?

In terms of media practice, I have neither experience before in terms of films nor media production of my own like blogs or vlogs but I have some work experience like social media internship and media-related project intern. Does UCL value anything more or is every experience just equally appropriate?

Sorry if my questions are a bit overwhelming :frown:

Oh wow, you sound really smart to me with Maths, Economics & Geography haha!

Online courses are fine and you can mention them! Start some projects after you finish them (i.e. if you are doing courses on film, try to write a screenplay, a mini-movie on a video app, or write about a film you like) - they may ask for a portfolio in 2022 (they didn't this year but they are thinking about it) so these are things you can add if they do ask you to make one, or even if you write about doing those things in your personal statement, that will make you really stand out!

As for the focus areas of film & interactive media, don't take that too much into consideration. Yes, they are pathways in the second year but always remember the media is broader than this, these are just two areas that are excelling at the moment! I'd say write about what you're more confident/interested in if you do want to mention them but don't talk about it for too long; I wrote about how I have interests in the area of marketing and how film and interactive media such as AI and VR can be the future of it.

This is how I broke down my personal statement:

- A really cool opening; I wrote this... 'The Media is a cornerstone in our society that aims to spark curiosity, flair, and vibrancy in every corner of our lives. From the way we efficiently communicate with one another across countries to the way we create and collaborate in order to bring about social change, artistic influence, and cultural diversity, the Media has become an essential driving force in our world with yet even more possibilities to explore and future developments to be made.'

- Current Position; what I am studying? what these subjects have taught me? (i.e. with economics you can say you have been able to use your understanding of the financial market with the media landscape and navigate the areas that are growing - like film & interactive media - and how you can contribute to this)

- Interest & Passion; why do you like the media? why do you want to get into it? if you were to work in the industry, how would you change it/what would you do? what specific theory are you interested in exploring with your future work? (examples of this can be Laura Mulvey's 'Male Gaze' or as I wrote about, Stuart Hall's Representation Theory) - adding a theory is always an extra point because it shows you can analyze the media!

- Experience or Personal Hobbies; what have you done so far? what skills have you built? what have you learned during those experiences? how have these experiences helped you? what would you like to do more of?

- Conclusion; what can this course do for you as a person? (i.e. building confidence or cultural awareness), why do you want to join UCL beyond the course? what can you bring to the universities student life? why do you want to study here overall?

Links to creative work experience/events/internships/jobs:
- https://creativeaccess.org.uk/
- https://www.mayorsfundforlondon.org.uk/our-programmes/access-aspiration/students/ (you can mention you attended talks with companies!)
- https://www.creativementornetwork.org/

Links to creative hobbies:
- https://wordpress.com/ (for blogging; start a blog reviewing films or music, games or fashion, p.s. no one has to read it, it can be just for you!)
- https://www.celtx.com/ (for screenwriting; write an extra scene for your favorite film, write your own mini tv show or documentary script)
- https://davinci-resolve.en.softonic.com/ (for filmmaking; download youtube videos and learn how to edit them, make a short film, etc.)

Overall, I think you are on the right track honestly do not worry about it, and don't apologize, I was literally in your position last year! :smile:

Hi i got an offer to study BA Media from this year. I heard 800 people applied and 40 people got offers which is crazy competitive. I dont think your alevels will put you at a disadvantage but you have to show an interest for media. Also write on your personal statement what your gonna use this degree in the future for. Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Georgia Jayy
Oh wow, you sound really smart to me with Maths, Economics & Geography haha!

Online courses are fine and you can mention them! Start some projects after you finish them (i.e. if you are doing courses on film, try to write a screenplay, a mini-movie on a video app, or write about a film you like) - they may ask for a portfolio in 2022 (they didn't this year but they are thinking about it) so these are things you can add if they do ask you to make one, or even if you write about doing those things in your personal statement, that will make you really stand out!

As for the focus areas of film & interactive media, don't take that too much into consideration. Yes, they are pathways in the second year but always remember the media is broader than this, these are just two areas that are excelling at the moment! I'd say write about what you're more confident/interested in if you do want to mention them but don't talk about it for too long; I wrote about how I have interests in the area of marketing and how film and interactive media such as AI and VR can be the future of it.

This is how I broke down my personal statement:

- A really cool opening; I wrote this... 'The Media is a cornerstone in our society that aims to spark curiosity, flair, and vibrancy in every corner of our lives. From the way we efficiently communicate with one another across countries to the way we create and collaborate in order to bring about social change, artistic influence, and cultural diversity, the Media has become an essential driving force in our world with yet even more possibilities to explore and future developments to be made.'

- Current Position; what I am studying? what these subjects have taught me? (i.e. with economics you can say you have been able to use your understanding of the financial market with the media landscape and navigate the areas that are growing - like film & interactive media - and how you can contribute to this)

- Interest & Passion; why do you like the media? why do you want to get into it? if you were to work in the industry, how would you change it/what would you do? what specific theory are you interested in exploring with your future work? (examples of this can be Laura Mulvey's 'Male Gaze' or as I wrote about, Stuart Hall's Representation Theory) - adding a theory is always an extra point because it shows you can analyze the media!

- Experience or Personal Hobbies; what have you done so far? what skills have you built? what have you learned during those experiences? how have these experiences helped you? what would you like to do more of?

- Conclusion; what can this course do for you as a person? (i.e. building confidence or cultural awareness), why do you want to join UCL beyond the course? what can you bring to the universities student life? why do you want to study here overall?

Links to creative work experience/events/internships/jobs:
- https://creativeaccess.org.uk/
- https://www.mayorsfundforlondon.org.uk/our-programmes/access-aspiration/students/ (you can mention you attended talks with companies!)
- https://www.creativementornetwork.org/

Links to creative hobbies:
- https://wordpress.com/ (for blogging; start a blog reviewing films or music, games or fashion, p.s. no one has to read it, it can be just for you!)
- https://www.celtx.com/ (for screenwriting; write an extra scene for your favorite film, write your own mini tv show or documentary script)
- https://davinci-resolve.en.softonic.com/ (for filmmaking; download youtube videos and learn how to edit them, make a short film, etc.)

Overall, I think you are on the right track honestly do not worry about it, and don't apologize, I was literally in your position last year! :smile:

Oh my you're a lifesaver !! I have been devastatingly trying to find any sources or advice on media application but it was so hard :frown: this truly helps me a lot many thankss
Reply 6
Original post by LionKingGamer
Hi i got an offer to study BA Media from this year. I heard 800 people applied and 40 people got offers which is crazy competitive. I dont think your alevels will put you at a disadvantage but you have to show an interest for media. Also write on your personal statement what your gonna use this degree in the future for. Hope this helps :smile:

Wow that's crazy ... Thank you so much that helps me a lot!!
Hi - I was wondering if any of you got in for 2022 entry to BA media?
Reply 8
Original post by choslmason
Hi - I was wondering if any of you got in for 2022 entry to BA media?

I haven’t heard anything yet- I’m kinda nervous 😅
Original post by _123
I haven’t heard anything yet- I’m kinda nervous 😅

Me too! Did you apply with A levels or IB?
Reply 10
Original post by choslmason
Me too! Did you apply with A levels or IB?

with a levels - how about you?
Original post by _123
with a levels - how about you?

I took the ib, good luck getting in!
Original post by LionKingGamer

any latest update on the number of applications , offers and enrolments in 2021? I have applied to UCL Media BA 2022 entry and still waiting for result.
anyone got any offer from UCL Media BA so far?
Reply 14
Original post by fktcheung1

Nope.... Still waiting

Yep still waiting - anyone from previous years, when did you receive your offer?
i think LionKingGamer got the offer on March 23, 2021 basing on date of his posting.
anyone received offer?
Reply 18
anyone received offer?

not yet
anyone received offer? my status is still 'Application received' while there are offers out there already.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending