The Student Room Group

Want to lose weight but issues prevent me from doing it. Help?

So I've gained about 22kg over the last 4 years due to some personal issues and stress and about a year and a half ago also developed a medical issues because of all the rapid weight gain. I was 78kg, then I got a PT and got down to 65kg but then I damaged my back muscle and now I can't lift weights or do kickboxing anymore until I'm healed and the doctor recommended just walking every day. I've tried it but I've just steadily gained weight from the time when I was immobile for a while and now I'm 73kg. I've tried calorie counting but even at 1200kcal a day I'm still not losing weight. Can anyone give me advice on how to lose weight and get back to being fit and toned? I miss it and just feel a bit hopeless, especially seeing as gaining weight causes me to be in constant pain. Would appreciate any advice. Thanks
Hi. Maybe you should find out your metabolic type so you know what foods to avoid. Then you can research which exercises would work best for you.
Reply 2
Original post by AnActor184
Hi. Maybe you should find out your metabolic type so you know what foods to avoid. Then you can research which exercises would work best for you.

Oh ok, how do you find this out?
Original post by Anonymous

You could read an article, look at photos or do a quiz. Are you male or female? I know a quiz to find your female metabolic type.
So I've gained about 22kg over the last 4 years due to some personal issues and stress and about a year and a half ago also developed a medical issues because of all the rapid weight gain. I was 78kg, then I got a PT and got down to 65kg but then I damaged my back muscle and now I can't lift weights or do kickboxing anymore until I'm healed and the doctor recommended just walking every day. I've tried it but I've just steadily gained weight from the time when I was immobile for a while and now I'm 73kg. I've tried calorie counting but even at 1200kcal a day I'm still not losing weight. Can anyone give me advice on how to lose weight and get back to being fit and toned? I miss it and just feel a bit hopeless, especially seeing as gaining weight causes me to be in constant pain. Would appreciate any advice. Thanks

Calorie Deficiency Diet & a fun exercise you enjoy and will be willing to do at least 2-3 days a week.

CD Diet means you eat many things but at lower calories; you will never be hungry but always be healthy! So for breakfast you might have granola with fruit and yoghurt, for lunch you'll have a salad with tuna/salmon and for dinner, you'll have perhaps chicken with some steamed veg - even a snack throughout the day like a naturally sweet oat bar, etc. You don't have to count calories, just make smarter choices understanding the size of your plate is also as important as the calories; but if it is no pressure do use something like My Fitness Pal or Lifesum to track - only if it helps!

Fun exercises like brisk walking every morning to get fresh air or light-toned running (at home is easier because all you have to do is move on the spot), dancing or an easy-moving sport you can access like amateur tennis, volleyball or basketball.

Also for your mental health to keep you sane with all the pain try out headspace/calm for meditation, Nike fitness club for yoga (great for restoring muscles) and Stoic for journalling your thoughts and feelings!

I do hope you get better soon! :smile:

Here look at these

3C8CD891-8970-40D7-8E19-3283F7DC8DEE.jpeg
77451589-BDA5-4AFD-AFA5-2B368EBADB6B.png
Reply 6
You could read an article, look at photos or do a quiz. Are you male or female? I know a quiz to find your female metabolic type.

I'm female
Reply 8
@AnActor184 Seems like I'm an endomorph lol
Reply 9
Original post by Georgia Jayy
Calorie Deficiency Diet & a fun exercise you enjoy and will be willing to do at least 2-3 days a week.

CD Diet means you eat many things but at lower calories; you will never be hungry but always be healthy! So for breakfast you might have granola with fruit and yoghurt, for lunch you'll have a salad with tuna/salmon and for dinner, you'll have perhaps chicken with some steamed veg - even a snack throughout the day like a naturally sweet oat bar, etc. You don't have to count calories, just make smarter choices understanding the size of your plate is also as important as the calories; but if it is no pressure do use something like My Fitness Pal or Lifesum to track - only if it helps!

Fun exercises like brisk walking every morning to get fresh air or light-toned running (at home is easier because all you have to do is move on the spot), dancing or an easy-moving sport you can access like amateur tennis, volleyball or basketball.

Also for your mental health to keep you sane with all the pain try out headspace/calm for meditation, Nike fitness club for yoga (great for restoring muscles) and Stoic for journalling your thoughts and feelings!

I do hope you get better soon! :smile:

Thanks that sounds really helpful!

I can't run or do those sports at the moment because of my physical pain (injury wise) but the food thing and mental health ideas sound great x
Here look at these

THese are not backed by science at all and have been debunked many times.

Could you try swimming? It is very low impact so would hopefully not put pressure on your back.
Here look at these

Utter nonsense if I ever did see it.

Quick Reply

Latest