The Student Room Group

What makes a results day video cringy?

Hey everyone!

I'm thinking of doing a results day vlog on the 10th, but I really want to avoid classic mistakes. I've seen many vlogs that are a little bland or cringy, and I obviously don't want to fall into this trap. I'm definitely going to try to include time stamps for anyone who just wants to skip to the results reveal (not sure how but I'm sure I'll figure it out), but I don't want to make it too short in case people do actually want to know some background.

So, for anyone who has watched these videos before, what makes a good one? What would make you click off, and what would make you watch it in full?

Thanks so much for any advice!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Don't check Track before your results slip and kill all the suspense.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Tolgash
Don't check Track before your results slip and kill all the suspense.

Haha, wasn't planning on it. I hate that!
For some reason, people who jump up and down with joy irritate me.
Reply 4
Original post by ashtolga23
Hey everyone!

I'm thinking of doing a results day vlog on the 10th, but I really want to avoid classic mistakes. I've seen many vlogs that are a little bland or cringy, and I obviously don't want to fall into this trap. I'm definitely going to try to include time stamps for anyone who just wants to skip to the results reveal (not sure how but I'm sure I'll figure it out), but I don't want to make it too short in case people do actually want to know some background.

So, for anyone who has watched these videos before, what makes a good one? What would make you click off, and what would make you watch it in full?

For me, I really dislike when they say education isn't for everyone when they get bad grades, influencing people into thinking education isn't important, when it actually is and having solid gcse would be such a good backup in life. What's your youtube channel?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Mesopotamian.
For some reason, people who jump up and down with joy irritate me.

Very little chance of that happening, I'm not that expressive to be honest haha.

Well that is a darn shame :frown:

Original post by GTT21
For me, I really dislike when they say education isn't for everyone when they get bad grades, influencing people into thinking education isn't important, when it actually is and having solid gcse would be such a good backup in life. What's your youtube channel?

I'm hoping for at least A*AA, which is one reason I actually thought it might be a little boring, but it works in my favour if that's your view! My GCSEs were six 9s and four 8s but I unfortunately didn't really celebrate or make any videos haha.

I've just started out on there but I'll leave a link in case you want to subscribe or have a look! I'm planning to do a video on getting rejected from Cambridge soon as well as the results day one if that interests you; I'm actually planning it on a Google doc in another tab as we speak haha.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 6
Very little chance of that happening, I'm not that responsive to be honest haha.

Well that is a darn shame :frown:

I'm hoping for at least A*AA, which is one reason I actually thought it might be a little boring, but it works in my favour if that's your view! My GCSEs were six 9s and four 8s but I unfortunately didn't really celebrate or make any videos haha.

I've just started out on there but I'll leave a link in case you want to subscribe or have a look! I'm planning to do a video on getting rejected from Cambridge soon as well as the results day one if that interests you; I'm actually planning it on a Google doc in another tab as we speak haha.

Good luck with your grades!
Original post by GTT21
Good luck with your grades!

Thank you so much!
Exactly
Hey everyone!

Don't you think the problem might be it has been done to death, and it thus irritating due to its omnipresence around Results Day? I don't want to be rude (and honestly, I'm not) but essentially no-one is interested in your joy (or otherwise) about your results - mainly because they're concentrating on their own results. No-one's interested to see you opening an envelope, because they know what that looks like, and no-one is interested in your results - because they don't know you.

Essentially, it's just completely and totally irrelevant and uninteresting to anyone other than you, your family and friends. And don't you think that's how it should be?
No dramatic sighing, especially at the beginning of the video before you’ve said a word.
Don't act disappointed when you get A*, A, B
Reply 11
I think they are all pretty narcissistic, really. I don't understand the appeal for creators or consumers (are there consumers?)

But I don't really have a sense of pride, or much of a sense of occasion, so maybe I just don't care where others do
Original post by Reality Check
Exactly

Don't you think the problem might be it has been done to death, and it thus irritating due to its omnipresence around Results Day? I don't want to be rude (and honestly, I'm not) but essentially no-one is interested in your joy (or otherwise) about your results - mainly because they're concentrating on their own results. No-one's interested to see you opening an envelope, because they know what that looks like, and no-one is interested in your results - because they don't know you.

Essentially, it's just completely and totally irrelevant and uninteresting to anyone other than you, your family and friends. And don't you think that's how it should be?

I would be inclined to agree with you if I'm honest, but my boyfriend suggested the idea a while ago and encouraged me to do a poll on my Instagram about it. Turns out a lot of people who follow me want to see that video haha! I really didn't think it would be that special, but the videos seem to get a lot of views so there must be some kind of market. Mainly though, I would just want to make one for my own memories of the day, and for people who know me and have expressed interest. I still want it to be interesting for them and anyone who may happen on it, so I thought I'd request some constructive feedback here. Thank you for sharing your views.

Original post by Son of the Sea
No dramatic sighing, especially at the beginning of the video before you’ve said a word.

Ha! 100%.

Original post by Asha_m
Don't act disappointed when you get A*, A, B

But that would mean I'm rejected from my firm choice lmao, and I know I can do better than that considering I can't remember ever getting a B in my time doing A-Levels.

Original post by gjd800
I think they are all pretty narcissistic, really. I don't understand the appeal for creators or consumers (are there consumers?)

But I don't really have a sense of pride, or much of a sense of occasion, so maybe I just don't care where others do

That's fair enough, I appreciate the honesty! Thanks for not being too harsh because you're one of my favourite users lol.
Reply 13
I would be inclined to agree with you if I'm honest, but my boyfriend suggested the idea a while ago and encouraged me to do a poll on my Instagram about it. Turns out a lot of people who follow me want to see that video haha! I really didn't think it would be that special, but the videos seem to get a lot of views so there must be some kind of market. Mainly though, I would just want to make one for my own memories of the day, and for people who know me and have expressed interest. I still want it to be interesting for them and anyone who may happen on it, so I thought I'd request some constructive feedback here. Thank you for sharing your views.

Ha! 100%.

But that would mean I'm rejected from my firm choice lmao, and I know I can do better than that considering I can't remember ever getting a B in my time doing A-Levels.

That's fair enough, I appreciate the honesty! Thanks for not being too harsh because you're one of my favourite users lol.

It's not a judgement on you at all, so please don't think that

I just don't understand, and there is plenty I don't understand, haha - it's simply aimed at people different to me

I hope that it goes well and gets the outcome you're aiming for, in any case

(Thanks - very lovely thing to say!)
Show your preparations

It's ridiculous to just tell people the outcome of your results and where you're going next without saying "look, here was my plan A, plan B, plan C. I had this list of options prepared, I had done this research in advance". For a lot of people results day is not a fairytale, and it shouldn't be portrayed that way.

Don't forget to remind people that all routes and all paths to the future are okay. Tell your audience to do what's right for them. #YourPathYourFuture
Original post by gjd800
It's not a judgement on you at all, so please don't think that

I just don't understand, and there is plenty I don't understand, haha - it's simply aimed at people different to me

I hope that it goes well and gets the outcome you're aiming for, in any case

(Thanks - very lovely thing to say!)

Aw, that's very much appreciated. Thank you for the well wishes too!

(It's my pleasure :smile:)

Original post by 04MR17
Show your preparations

It's ridiculous to just tell people the outcome of your results and where you're going next without saying "look, here was my plan A, plan B, plan C. I had this list of options prepared, I had done this research in advance". For a lot of people results day is not a fairytale, and it shouldn't be portrayed that way.

Don't forget to remind people that all routes and all paths to the future are okay. Tell your audience to do what's right for them. #YourPathYourFuture

Ah that's an interesting point. I'll definitely make an effort to include this, thank you!

That's fair enough then - good luck with it. And thanks for not going off at the deep end at my post and seeing it for what it was - a genuine opinion meant to be helpful :smile:
Original post by Interea
Being disappointed is definitely fine, as long as you don't go into the long patronising rants a lot of people do who get those sorts of grades. So "I'm a little disappointed in the B because it means I missed my firm choice, and I've never got below an A before, but it's good enough for my backup plan of xyz" is fine, but "I'm disappointed in this B but don't worry! I know that's a really good grade for some of you! You should be really proud of a B! I'm just going to complain for the next ten minutes because I think it's an awful grade but I'm sure you tried your very very hardest to get that B so it's not an awful grade for you!" is very irritating and cringy.

Can you tell I have a lot of pent up rage about some results videos? :colondollar:

Ah that's actually so insightful! I was wondering how to get a balance because I hate when people are really patronising about it, and that's a perfect way to fix that. Thank you so much!

Original post by Reality Check
That's fair enough then - good luck with it. And thanks for not going off at the deep end at my post and seeing it for what it was - a genuine opinion meant to be helpful :smile:

Thank you! Seriously, no problem :smile:
ok but if you do make one could you shout nikki three times at any point randomly during the video?
Original post by nikkiblonsky
ok but if you do make one could you shout nikki three times at any point randomly during the video?

Haha, maybe if I already had a following but I have to try and make a name for myself first!

Quick Reply

Latest