The Student Room Group

I forgot how to open a door, twice.

Was visiting a bank branch and was trying to rush past two security guards having a chat.

There's a door that goes to another door which leads to inside the branch. Both of which had no handles so I assumed they were both automatic and would open by themselves. They did look like quite a pair of fancy doors.

After standing awkwardly staring blankly at said door for 5 minutes, I realized it was not automatic and I was now facing a horrible situation.

If the door was push or pull. Looking back at it now I probably should've worked it out that it was a push door since there was no handle but I was preoccupied in not making myself look like a fool to notice.

Ironically I still ended up looking like one as I meekly pushed the door and it didn't move and I couldn't pull it because there was no handle. I am now panicking, absolutely sure that this door is broken or the store is closed. I stand and stare at the door for another couple of minutes, hoping nobody is noticing me struggling and that the door magically turns on and automatically opens.

It was too late, the security guards had already noticed and one came over asking if I was alright, I looked at him then looked back at the door then looked back at him and asked if the branch was open, he then pushed the door open for me and I gratefully laughed at him embarrassed and stepped inside the branch.

My torture wasn't over yet as there was yet another door without a handle I had to face before I was free. I panicked again as I saw there was no handle, at this point I am clearly brain-dead as I stand for another 5 minutes absolutely certain that this door is broken too and wondering to myself why the bank's doors are all broken. I try pulling the door even though there is no handle and I also try pushing, except I pushed so weakly it didn't even budge. At this point I except defeat and the fact that I have made a fool of myself despite my efforts not to. I hear a tapping on the glass and I look over and it is the other security guard smiling at me and making a pushing motion. I awkwardly laugh again, push the door open and get what I need.

It was that moment I learned that life, doors specifically, is cruel.

At least those security guards had a good laugh.

I forgot how to open a door, twice.

Was visiting a bank branch and was trying to rush past two security guards having a chat.

There's a door that goes to another door which leads to inside the branch. Both of which had no handles so I assumed they were both automatic and would open by themselves. They did look like quite a pair of fancy doors.

After standing awkwardly staring blankly at said door for 5 minutes, I realized it was not automatic and I was now facing a horrible situation.

If the door was push or pull. Looking back at it now I probably should've worked it out that it was a push door since there was no handle but I was preoccupied in not making myself look like a fool to notice.

Ironically I still ended up looking like one as I meekly pushed the door and it didn't move and I couldn't pull it because there was no handle. I am now panicking, absolutely sure that this door is broken or the store is closed. I stand and stare at the door for another couple of minutes, hoping nobody is noticing me struggling and that the door magically turns on and automatically opens.

It was too late, the security guards had already noticed and one came over asking if I was alright, I looked at him then looked back at the door then looked back at him and asked if the branch was open, he then pushed the door open for me and I gratefully laughed at him embarrassed and stepped inside the branch.

My torture wasn't over yet as there was yet another door without a handle I had to face before I was free. I panicked again as I saw there was no handle, at this point I am clearly brain-dead as I stand for another 5 minutes absolutely certain that this door is broken too and wondering to myself why the bank's doors are all broken. I try pulling the door even though there is no handle and I also try pushing, except I pushed so weakly it didn't even budge. At this point I except defeat and the fact that I have made a fool of myself despite my efforts not to. I hear a tapping on the glass and I look over and it is the other security guard smiling at me and making a pushing motion. I awkwardly laugh again, push the door open and get what I need.

It was that moment I learned that life, doors specifically, is cruel.

At least those security guards had a good laugh.
I doorn’t believe this.
Reply 3
Original post by kaiana
Oof I feel you. Whenever we're preoccupied in not embarrassing ourselves is precisely when we end up looking like the biggest fools somehow.

It's a harsh cycle:frown:

Original post by Son of the Sea
I doorn’t believe this.

Oh it happened, my stupidity knows no bounds

Edit: That joke went over my head
(edited 2 years ago)
Always put your hand on both double doors, to do that tiny flex that checks which side will give and which resists. No charge for that.
I doorn’t believe this.

@the bear I think this pun fell out of your purse
Do you want a medal OP
Original post by kaiana
Oof I feel you. Whenever we're preoccupied in not embarrassing ourselves is precisely when we end up looking like the biggest fools somehow.

Why are you addressing yourself in third person?
Reply 9
Original post by Qxi.xli
Do you want a medal OP

Yes actually, medals or reps either is fine
you were in a bit of a jamb

:teehee:
(edited 2 years ago)
Congratulations?
Reply 12
Original post by 0ptics

What do you mean? I'm not OP, was this a joke or was there something grammatically wrong in my sentence? (English isn't my first language)
Reply 13
Original post by 0ptics

The thread is glitched, post #1 isnt the OP.
Original post by skejrjoen
Yes actually, medals or reps either is fine

Here you can have 10 rep points. Hope you're happy :smile:
I doorn’t believe this.

U got to it before me. We r enemies now idc
Reply 16
yeah

Quick Reply

Latest