The Student Room Group

smell of sweat? What to do??!

I just gave my girlfriend a hug and she informed me that I smell of sweat. I have been at my desk all day in an air conditioned office, took a shower with Dove Men's Active soap this morning, and used old spice deodorant before leaving the house. I am also wearing clean clothes and only been outside for a 4 minute walk from/to my car.

I feel super super self-conscious now. What can I do to stop the smell? :colondollar:
Original post by Anonymous
I just gave my girlfriend a hug and she informed me that I smell of sweat. I have been at my desk all day in an air conditioned office, took a shower with Dove Men's Active soap this morning, and used old spice deodorant before leaving the house. I am also wearing clean clothes and only been outside for a 4 minute walk from/to my car.

I feel super super self-conscious now. What can I do to stop the smell? :colondollar:

Are you a proper sweaty Betty? if so, try using a hardcore antiperspirant like Driclor, rather than a bog standard one. Used properly, these are very effective at stopping your pits sweating.

As for the stink, give your armpits of shirts a good old sniff when you next wash them. Chances are that they will still stink a bit after a run through the machine, and that's why your gf is telling you that you still stink. Give the armpit area of any shirts that still smell a good scrub with some mild soap and a soft brush (like a nail brush) and try washing them again to get them properly clean.
Reply 2
Original post by Reality Check
Are you a proper sweaty Betty? if so, try using a hardcore antiperspirant like Driclor, rather than a bog standard one. Used properly, these are very effective at stopping your pits sweating.

As for the stink, give your armpits of shirts a good old sniff when you next wash them. Chances are that they will still stink a bit after a run through the machine, and that's why your gf is telling you that you still stink. Give the armpit area of any shirts that still smell a good scrub with some mild soap and a soft brush (like a nail brush) and try washing them again to get them properly clean.

Thanks for the tip man. I never really considered myself a Sweaty Betty but I'll definitely give your tip about the antiperspirant a go. When you say mild soap, do you mean the laundry detergent (I use an unscented liquid one (I have allergies)) or like the soap I use in the shower?
Thanks for the tip man. I never really considered myself a Sweaty Betty but I'll definitely give your tip about the antiperspirant a go. When you say mild soap, do you mean the laundry detergent (I use an unscented liquid one (I have allergies)) or like the soap I use in the shower?

No problem mate :smile: For scrubbing the pits of any shirts/T shirts that still smell after a normal wash, then any bar soap will do - just a cheap bar of soap basically. If you wet the fabric, rub some soap on, agitate it well, rinse and repeat a couple of times and then chuck the shirt in the machine and wash it as normal, it should come out fresh as a baby's you-know-what.

Driclor is amazing. I used to play a lot of sport, and essentially sweated like a bas****. It was the only thing that seemed to work long term, but it's important to follow the instructions carefully (especially regarding carefully washing and drying your pits and only applying it at night to dry skin) because it's pretty strong stuff and can burn your skin if you're not careful. Works though :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Reality Check
No problem mate :smile: For scrubbing the pits of any shirts/T shirts that still smell after a normal wash, then any bar soap will do - just a cheap bar of soap basically. If you wet the fabric, rub some soap on, agitate it well, rinse and repeat a couple of times and then chuck the shirt in the machine and wash it as normal, it should come out fresh as a baby's you-know-what.

Driclor is amazing. I used to play a lot of sport, and essentially sweated like a bas****. It was the only thing that seemed to work long term, but it's important to follow the instructions carefully (especially regarding carefully washing and drying your pits and only applying it at night to dry skin) because it's pretty strong stuff and can burn your skin if you're not careful. Works though :smile:

Burn the skin?! :lolwut: I may have to do some more research into it. I have eczema and allergies so tend to need to be careful about what products I use.

But cheers! I have some dove bar soap so I'll use that. I feel so embarrassed that she said I smell :colondollar: Really appreciate the tips.
Burn the skin?! :lolwut: I may have to do some more research into it. I have eczema and allergies so tend to need to be careful about what products I use.

But cheers! I have some dove bar soap so I'll use that. I feel so embarrassed that she said I smell :colondollar: Really appreciate the tips.

No problems - I'm sure you'll get it sorted :smile:

As for the Driclor, it unfortunately possibly won't be suitable for you if you have sensitive skin, or things like eczema. If you do try it, then I'd recommend you either ask your GP first, or you try a very small amount of a tiny bit of skin to see how you react to it.
can u shower at work and put on a fresh shirt at the end of the day? that would help
Reply 7

Also shaving your armpits can help reduce the area in which sweat can stick too meaning the chances of smelling is lessened
Just buy an antiperspirant rather than a deodorant. Nivea do one for men that is kind to the skin but cuts the smell. But as Reality Check says a bit of extra TLC to the underarm area of T shirts and shirts is probably a necessity as well.
Reply 9
Original post by Nobody2u
Just buy an antiperspirant rather than a deodorant. Nivea do one for men that is kind to the skin but cuts the smell. But as Reality Check says a bit of extra TLC to the underarm area of T shirts and shirts is probably a necessity as well.

I heard antiperspirants can contain metals (aluminium) which are bad for your skin? I purposely bought the old spice because it was a deodorant rather than an antiperspirant. Am I wrong?

Will definitely be focusing on my shirts too. :colondollar:
You're not entirely wrong about antiperspirants. Some do have aluminium. Unfortunately at a certain point you have to make a choice. Smelly armpits or..... If you say you've had your shower and only walked a small distance, what would your colleagues be thinking if you've spent the day at your desk placed in front of a window that the sun has shone through for 8 hours non stop.
Original post by Nobody2u
You're not entirely wrong about antiperspirants. Some do have aluminium. Unfortunately at a certain point you have to make a choice. Smelly armpits or..... If you say you've had your shower and only walked a small distance, what would your colleagues be thinking if you've spent the day at your desk placed in front of a window that the sun has shone through for 8 hours non stop.

You're right, I feel really embarrassed that I spent all of today at work around people and my girlfriend only says late in the day. Man. :colondollar: Plus this isn't the first hot day. I'll look into the Nivea one. (Is it ok for sensitive skin do you know?)
My teenage kids with sensitive skin use it without any adverse effects. Hope it works for you.

Quick Reply

Latest