The Student Room Group

To what extent would you make a good teacher whether at school or university?

Have you ever wondered what kind of teacher would you be? What would be the pros and cons of having you as a teacher?
Reply 1
I'm good at both (not tooting my own horn, but all of my feedback over the oast 7 years ish confirms this).
Original post by gjd800
I'm good at both (not tooting my own horn, but all of my feedback over the oast 7 years ish confirms this).

Nice, what subjects do you usually teach and was it at secondary school or university (or both)?
Reply 3
Original post by Robert Walpole
Nice, what subjects do you usually teach and was it at secondary school or university (or both)?

Both

Philosophy, religion, Indology
I've no idea. but I'm not very patient, confident, don't think I could plan and execute a lesson plan well, or mange a class well.

although I would describe myself as empathetic if that counts for anything :dontknow:
Original post by Obolinda
I've no idea. but I'm not very patient, confident, don't think I could plan and execute a lesson plan well, or mange a class well.

although I would describe myself as empathetic if that counts for anything :dontknow:

To be fair you sound very sensible in most of the threads on TSR but I can see how managing a class can be challenging even for someone who might be otherwise a really good teacher

Original post by gjd800
Both

Philosophy, religion, Indology

Interesting I did not know we had someone active with 7 years + of actual teaching experience on TSR :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Robert Walpole
To be fair you sound very sensible in most of the threads on TSR but I can see how managing a class can be challenging even for someone who might be otherwise a really good teacher

Interesting I did not know we had someone active with 7 years + of actual teaching experience on TSR :smile:

There are a few of us dotted about!
I think I would make a good teacher. My teachers used to let me into their lessons in Year 12 to help out or sometimes even teach!

I’m not very patient though.
(edited 2 years ago)
I would not make a good teacher unless I was teaching top-set, disciplined students.
a) I’m not particularly patient, so after the third time, if the student still doesn’t understand the answer to a maths equation, I start to visibly get frustrated (my sibling can vouch for this)
b) I like doing and completing tasks in an orderly and timely manner - which is never going to work out in a class with 30-odd students.
Original post by salamjakodsmka
i was a tutor for like 2 years and all the kids loved me
one guy even bought in a spiderman drawing for me 😭🥺
and i love kids in the least noncey way possible
i wouldnt want to be a uni teacher cus im not intimidating and id feel like no one would listen to me lmao

yeah same haha
I think I'd be average, like the one everyone forgets.
Original post by salamjakodsmka
i love kids in the least noncey way possible

This is a T-shirt worthy quote.
I'd like to say I could have (or develop) the skills in theory, but I'd probably get in front of a big class and instantly forget how to talk :colondollar: I do enjoy teaching, but I think for now I'm at my limit with small group/individual tutoring - it's much easier to make engaging and well-targeted lessons when you only have a small group of students who all actually choose to be there!

I could definitely never do uni teaching though, I'm terrified of anyone over the age of 18 :lol:
I'd make a terrible school teacher. I like to think I'd be good at the pastoral and lecture/seminar side of teaching at a uni though :moon: Not that I'd ever do either - health can't withstand either role :nah:

Quick Reply

Latest