The Student Room Group

Would you be happy with this at 40

I’m 40, doing an MBA funded by employer.
Looking back to my college/ under grad days, I can’t remember how satisfied I would be with my current circumstances..... I feel satisfied, but wonder what the youth would think....
40, married, 2 children under 10, very pretty wife and though she’s very overweight and smokes a lot, is incredibly sexy and we have a great sex life. I’m fit, play football with my friends weekly, run, cycle to work. Work: £85k ish for a global organisation in a reasonable easy role.... flexi hours, and work one day a week from home and 4 in the office. I wish I’d learned a musical instrument, and so during lockdown I’ve started to learn the guitar, currently quite bad at it. I’m reasonably well traveled, but next I think would like to show my wife and daughters more countries. Just interested to know what the young ones on here hope to get under their belt by 40.

Scroll to see replies

Yes, I'd be happy. :smile:
Although I'm a heterosexual female, have no interest in playing football and am only going to have one child.
Original post by resitsutd
Looking back to my college/ under grad days, I can’t remember how satisfied I would be with my current circumstances..... I feel satisfied, but wonder what the youth would think....
40, married, 2 children under 10, very pretty wife and though she’s very overweight and smokes a lot, is incredibly sexy and we have a great sex life. I’m fit, play football with my friends weekly, run, cycle to work. Work: £85k ish for a global organisation in a reasonable easy role.... flexi hours, and work one day a week from home and 4 in the office. I wish I’d learned a musical instrument, and so during lockdown I’ve started to learn the guitar, currently quite bad at it. I’m reasonably well traveled, but next I think would like to show my wife and daughters more countries. Just interested to know what the young ones on here hope to get under their belt by 40.

As a 17yr old, I would love for this :smile:
Reply 3

sounds like you are fishing on here 🎣
If I'm not telling Jeff Bezos "I can't do that" when he asks me to open the pod bay doors, by the time I'm 40, what is even the point?
Everything was going swimmingly until “very overweight and smokes a lot”.
That's damn good.

I'm 17 and by 40 I hope to be:
- Married, without children.
- Physically active.
- Earning a decent amount of money, maybe £20K minimum (I like to spend carefully, mainly online).
- Working 6 days a week.
- Travelling a lot more.
To be concise the answer is: yes
Reply 8
Original post by W1900
sounds like you are fishing on here 🎣

No, just genuinely interested in trying to remember where I hoped I’d be by 40, and where others want to be at that age.
You have done better than the average, I wouldn’t complain at all if I was you, life is about happiness and freedom, I’d think about putting money aside dir retirement so you’d have the choice to work on after 50 only if you wanted to snd not because you have to, you could maybe look into investing too. This is just to give you freedom of course if you wanted to better your life furthermore. Be proud of yourself ! I’m 28 but at 40 I’d hope to be in a job I enjoy which pays 35k plus with some investments
(edited 2 years ago)
I think you have it pretty good but wouldn’t be happy to have a partner who smokes a lot personally. It’s bad for her health and for the children to be around and see as a role mode
It seems like a very good life. It’s not what I’d want when I’m 40 (don’t want kids, want to have spent years working in foreign countries etc...) but it seems like an incredibly good life
Reply 12
Original post by Desire2succeed
You have done better than the average, I wouldn’t complain at all if I was you, life is about happiness and freedom, I’d think about putting money aside dir retirement so you’d have the choice to work on after 50 only if you wanted to snd not because you have to, you could maybe look into investing too. This is just to give you freedom of course if you wanted to better your life furthermore. Be proud of yourself ! I’m 28 but at 40 I’d hope to be in a job I enjoy which pays 35k plus with some investments

This is exactly what I need here, I need to prioritise saving to retire comfortably. Thanks
Reply 13
Original post by harrysbar
I think you have it pretty good but wouldn’t be happy to have a partner who smokes a lot personally. It’s bad for her health and for the children to be around and see as a role mode

I know, my wife was a smoker when we met so I knew that at the time, just not as heavy a smoker. She tried a few times to cut back but can’t manage it, and I can’t imagine what an addiction like that is like. She is heavily addicted to cigarettes now. It doesn’t bother me as much as it might bother others, but the power of the addiction and the amount smoked still takes me by surprise. It does conflictingly look cool and sexy sometimes .
Reply 14
Original post by Mesopotamian.
Everything was going swimmingly until “very overweight and smokes a lot”.

See answer above Re: smoking. The weight looks great on her, love her curves, and she is very over weight. She was slim when we met at 19, did sport etc.
See answer above Re: smoking. The weight looks great on her, love her curves, and she is very over weight. She was slim when we met at 19, did sport etc.

Maybe YOU would be v. overweight too if you had had two children. Men. Honestly.
hey im 16 and id be quite happy w that
not necessarily what I desire from my life but I wouldn't feel unsatisfied or unhappy w this
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 17
I'd have to move very quickly indeed :lol:

I mean the money seems nice but I'm not that arsed about the rest of it (or the money really, if I'm being honest)
Original post by Obolinda
hey im 16 and id be quite happy w that

For some reason I always assumed you were at least in your late 20's/ early 30's

I wouldn't say your life sounds bad at all.

But if that was my life, I wouldn't be satisfied with it. Just because I see my life looking different to that.

Quick Reply

Latest