The Student Room Group

Art Degree without A-level

Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong place!
I've just finished Advanced Highers (A-levels), and am set to be going to St Andrews to study English in a month (unconditional). However, just had a bit of a life crisis and realised I really want to study Art instead. I couldn't take it past GCSE due to my school's timetabling, but I've kept it up over the years. From researching, it seems lots of Art degrees don't require Art - but obviously I don't want to ditch my St Andrews offer to pursue Art if I'll just get rejected from everywhere.
Does anybody know what my chances might be of getting into anywhere? Or if there some other way that I can go down the 'Art Path' rather than the 'English Path'?
Thank you!

Scroll to see replies

Is there the possibility you could do it as a joint honours / degree at St. Andrews? If not, then there should be clubs + societies at St. Andrews that you could join? Sorry, if this is of no help. You could also see if there is any way that you could do art-related stuff outside of the Uni - like in the town instead?
Reply 2
I don’t know what the chances are of you getting offers, but it’s definitely possible! When I was in year 12, this year 13 who studied science subjects was always at the back of my art classroom creating portfolios of artwork she had done in her spare time, and I remember my art teachers being really happy that she got accepted onto art courses without doing art for A Level :smile:
Original post by Wibble04
Is there the possibility you could do it as a joint honours / degree at St. Andrews? If not, then there should be clubs + societies at St. Andrews that you could join? Sorry, if this is of no help. You could also see if there is any way that you could do art-related stuff outside of the Uni - like in the town instead?

Unfortunately St. A is completely academic focused and don't offer any creative courses! But yes, hopefully there will be other opportunities for me to do art if I still have to go there. I'll definitely have a look and see what I can find. Just seems miserable + a bit of a waste of money to spend 4 years studying a degree I don't particularly want to do only for the extracurriculars!
Original post by ..M..
I don’t know what the chances are of you getting offers, but it’s definitely possible! When I was in year 12, this year 13 who studied science subjects was always at the back of my art classroom creating portfolios of artwork she had done in her spare time, and I remember my art teachers being really happy that she got accepted onto art courses without doing art for A Level :smile:

Thank you for this!! I've been in a real slump about it all, so the ray of hope is definitely appreciated :smile:
Original post by celestialkawa
Unfortunately St. A is completely academic focused and don't offer any creative courses! But yes, hopefully there will be other opportunities for me to do art if I still have to go there. I'll definitely have a look and see what I can find. Just seems miserable + a bit of a waste of money to spend 4 years studying a degree I don't particularly want to do only for the extracurriculars!

are you able to defer your entry year at all? cause then you could spend the year earning money (if you want) and at the same time looking and applying for an art degree elsewhere, and then if you don't get an offer from that you could still have your place at st andrews doing English.
are you able to defer your entry year at all? cause then you could spend the year earning money (if you want) and at the same time looking and applying for an art degree elsewhere, and then if you don't get an offer from that you could still have your place at st andrews doing English.

That was my ideal scenario! But I don't think you can apply to uni whilst having a deferred place held for you unfortunately. It seems rather all or nothing...
That was my ideal scenario! But I don't think you can apply to uni whilst having a deferred place held for you unfortunately. It seems rather all or nothing...

I honestly cannot say what you should do then. I mean, you could always do the English degree, aim for a good grade in it and then do art outside of the degree. And you would then at least have a degree on your side when applying to other stuff in the future, cause it has the possibility of opening more doors for you. If you choose to do the degree, you could also maybe do another degree in art when you have finished?

I myself am looking to do an art degree (starting hopefully 2022) and am trying to decide between Aberystwyth and Bath Spa. Most art courses don't require really high grades which is good, as they are attainable. BUT: quite a few art courses do require a portfolio of work, which you would usually take with you to the interview.

I would definitely say for now though, do not reject the unconditional at St. Andrews!! Clear your head and figure out why you definitely want to do art first, and if it is still the same when you have done that, think on it some more and ask friends and family what they think etc. If you keep the place and decide you really don't like it after some time doing it, you can always drop out and look for an art degree for 2022.
Are you only interested in studying at a Scottish university or would you consider English/Welsh/NI universities?

Do you have any artwork to put into a portfolio?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by PQ
Are you only interested in studying at a Scottish university or would you consider English/Welsh/NI universities?

I’d be happy to go to uni anywhere (St Andrews was actually the only Scottish uni I applied to). I have some bits and pieces that could go in a portfolio, but not enough to complete it. If I were to apply for Art then I would spend the first half of my gap year putting together things to make a proper portfolio.
My understanding is the art portfolio is key, if you have your own artwork you should have a good shot, but you should research examples of A level portfolios so you can try to match the content, e.g. a bit of art research, showing the process etc. It's definitely doable if you can make your own portfolio.
I honestly cannot say what you should do then. I mean, you could always do the English degree, aim for a good grade in it and then do art outside of the degree. And you would then at least have a degree on your side when applying to other stuff in the future, cause it has the possibility of opening more doors for you. If you choose to do the degree, you could also maybe do another degree in art when you have finished?

I myself am looking to do an art degree (starting hopefully 2022) and am trying to decide between Aberystwyth and Bath Spa. Most art courses don't require really high grades which is good, as they are attainable. BUT: quite a few art courses do require a portfolio of work, which you would usually take with you to the interview.

I would definitely say for now though, do not reject the unconditional at St. Andrews!! Clear your head and figure out why you definitely want to do art first, and if it is still the same when you have done that, think on it some more and ask friends and family what they think etc. If you keep the place and decide you really don't like it after some time doing it, you can always drop out and look for an art degree for 2022.

Yes, hopefully I would be able to pursue art via a post-grad or something similar if I end up just sticking with St Andrews!

Thank you for having a chat through options with me (genuinely very helpful!). I certainly won’t reject St Andrews without a very solid (and not risky) plan, and not without thinking about it for a long time if I do. Good luck with your Art application!! I’m sure you’ll smash it :smile:
Original post by xxx0xxxo
My understanding is the art portfolio is key, if you have your own artwork you should have a good shot, but you should research examples of A level portfolios so you can try to match the content, e.g. a bit of art research, showing the process etc. It's definitely doable if you can make your own portfolio.

Yeah, that’s what university websites seemed to say. I’ve done a lot of research on A-level portfolios (wanted to make sure I could achieve similar things before thinking too seriously about this all), but I got a bit freaked by Loughborough saying they thought you wouldn’t be able to meet the standard without having done A-level!! But I suppose that’s only one uni, and it’s all on a case-by-case basis. Fingers crossed if I pursue it!!
Yes, hopefully I would be able to pursue art via a post-grad or something similar if I end up just sticking with St Andrews!

Thank you for having a chat through options with me (genuinely very helpful!). I certainly won’t reject St Andrews without a very solid (and not risky) plan, and not without thinking about it for a long time if I do. Good luck with your Art application!! I’m sure you’ll smash it :smile:

Aw thank you :smile:! Your welcome as well. Hopefully it'll work for for you in the end. :crossedf:
(edited 2 years ago)
I've just finished Advanced Highers (A-levels), and am set to be going to St Andrews to study English in a month (unconditional). However, just had a bit of a life crisis and realised I really want to study Art instead. I couldn't take it past GCSE due to my school's timetabling, but I've kept it up over the years. From researching, it seems lots of Art degrees don't require Art - but obviously I don't want to ditch my St Andrews offer to pursue Art if I'll just get rejected from everywhere.
Does anybody know what my chances might be of getting into anywhere? Or if there some other way that I can go down the 'Art Path' rather than the 'English Path'?
Thank you!

Hi @celestialkawa!

I was in a bit of a similar situation going into university, having applied for mainly animation courses after coming from a mainly Mathematics/Computer Science background. Hopefully my experience can advise you too! As others have said, most universities don't really mind which courses you took prior to applying. What matters more to them is the quality of the content of the portfolio that you send. The only reason that they recommend this is the fact that would give you the opportunity to develop those skills, but with time, effort, and lots of internet tutorials it's completely reasonable that you would be able to reach the same level. There are even lovely art communities that would be willing to give you advice as you develop skills in the subject. Of course, there are also Art Foundation courses if the time and financial investment sounds worth it to you.

Whether you decide to go down the "Art Path" now or perhaps later in your career, I wish you the best of luck! :smile:

Rohnak
Escape Studios Student Rep
Thank you!

Hey there!

I can only talk from my own experience, which might not be transferable to every institution or pathway but I didn't take Art at A-Level. I took English Language, Media Studies and Psychology. I had planned to study Creative Writing at degree level - this I did, for less than a year, and then realised I wanted to do Illustration. I applied to PCA, and applied for an extended degree in Illustration as I wasn't sure I had the right kinds of A-Levels for Illustration (notably, I didn't have an A-Level in Art). At the interview, I spoke to the tutor about how I wanted to jump straight into the degree but I'd applied for the four year extended degree as I hadn't completed an A-Level in Art. She felt I was perfectly capable of joining the degree without the extended year at the front, designed to "get me up to scratch" so I would recommend having an honest conversation with the Uni you want to apply to - you really may not need an A-Level in Art to be accepted into an arts course, I think your passion, and your portfolio is going to mean more than simply a grade from a similar course.
I'm now studying my Masters in Illustration and I'm very proud of my journey, and have loved every moment of it.
I hope it helps to hear it can be done!

All the best,
Jess
Student Ambassador and MA Illustration Student
Original post by PQ

Do you have to go through Ucas to apply to Art Schools such as CSM or Goldsmiths,Ravensbourne etc?
Thank you!

I would defer while you make your mind up.You can enrol on foundation Art and Design courses at a local HE college which will alow you to create a more competitive portfolio.You can then make up your mind if it is really what you see yourself studying every day.You can let St Andrews go once you have decided in January.
Original post by Scotney
Do you have to go through Ucas to apply to Art Schools such as CSM or Goldsmiths,Ravensbourne etc?

For art degrees yes
For art & Design Foundation Diplomas no
A level art isn't necessary - and an A level standard portfolio isn't either. But you need some of your artwork to show and to have the motivation to communicate about your art. Plymouth college of art and UWE Bristol are possibilities.

Quick Reply

Latest