The Student Room Group

How do I interpret my Arbitio LNAT scores?

I've done 3 Tests until now, including the Practice Test. My percentiles for the tests were 64%, 84% and 43%. As you can see, they are pretty varying percentiles and I'm unsure what I should take from them. What should my aim for Arbitio scores be? Saw many threads saying Arbitio is harder than the actual test, but still it would be good to have a reference point. Thanks!
Reply 1
In my experience it is true that Arbitio is normally harder than the actual thing, so you may find that you’ll score higher on the day than on Arbitio practice tests.

I’m not sure what you mean by “percentiles” (do you perhaps mean percentages? I have no idea how Arbitio would have access to accurate percentile data when afaik it doesn’t get published). What scores you got /42 would be more meaningful.

As for what your “aim” should be, this genuinely depends on the universities you’re going for as each of them will have different standards for each part of the LNAT.
Reply 2
Original post by Mikos
In my experience it is true that Arbitio is normally harder than the actual thing, so you may find that you’ll score higher on the day than on Arbitio practice tests.

I’m not sure what you mean by “percentiles” (do you perhaps mean percentages? I have no idea how Arbitio would have access to accurate percentile data when afaik it doesn’t get published). What scores you got /42 would be more meaningful.

As for what your “aim” should be, this genuinely depends on the universities you’re going for as each of them will have different standards for each part of the LNAT.

No, I mean percentiles. They do publish them but Idk whether they're accurate or not. Anyways, my scores respective to the percentiles are 17, 23 and 18. I'm confident on my ability to get above average scores, so I think I'll aim for a bit higher than that. Unis are pretty close-mouthed on minimum/good scores so that doesn't really help a lot. Anyways, thanks for the help! Appreciate it a lot.
Reply 3
Original post by RohanHowl
No, I mean percentiles. They do publish them but Idk whether they're accurate or not. Anyways, my scores respective to the percentiles are 17, 23 and 18. I'm confident on my ability to get above average scores, so I think I'll aim for a bit higher than that. Unis are pretty close-mouthed on minimum/good scores so that doesn't really help a lot. Anyways, thanks for the help! Appreciate it a lot.

There's quite a bit of FOI data available re: what kind of scores each university takes/how they approach each section, so I'd argue it probably would help.

Arbitio is a private company and while I do think it's a helpful preparation tool, they're not actually officially endorsed by Pearson VUE (who run the LNAT). Thus, there is no reason they'd have access to data that appears not to be available online. Also worth mentioning that Arbitio has misrepresented the type of scores you need for certain unis in the past.

I've attached a spreadsheet which shows the number of offers given at each score for most LNAT universities. The data is a couple years old (most of it is from the 2019 cohort I think) but the LNAT hasn't changed significantly since then so it will likely remain reasonably accurate. I hope it will add to your perspective.
Reply 4
Original post by Mikos
There's quite a bit of FOI data available re: what kind of scores each university takes/how they approach each section, so I'd argue it probably would help.

Arbitio is a private company and while I do think it's a helpful preparation tool, they're not actually officially endorsed by Pearson VUE (who run the LNAT). Thus, there is no reason they'd have access to data that appears not to be available online. Also worth mentioning that Arbitio has misrepresented the type of scores you need for certain unis in the past.

I've attached a spreadsheet which shows the number of offers given at each score for most LNAT universities. The data is a couple years old (most of it is from the 2019 cohort I think) but the LNAT hasn't changed significantly since then so it will likely remain reasonably accurate. I hope it will add to your perspective.

Thanks a lot for the spreadsheet. Clarified many things for me.
What did you get in the end, if you don't mind me asking?
(edited 2 years ago)
Hey! If you want a discount on Arbitio, here's a code: SUBSCRIBE_84426
Reply 7
As a current arbiter user, I'm 99% sure that the percentiles are related to data on the platform, so all the other arbitio users who completed that test. Basically ranking you against all the other people who completed that exact 1test

So if you got an 84% percentile, lets say out of the 1000 people that took that test, you were in the top 16%. Or got the 160th highest score. That's how it works
Original post by Mikos

You are likely to get lower scores in the real LNAT exam.
Exam conditions pressure and stress - and you will have no idea how the essay question will be marked by individual Unis.
Original post by McGinger
You are likely to get lower scores in the real LNAT exam.
Exam conditions pressure and stress - and you will have no idea how the essay question will be marked by individual Unis.

Mate I don't understand why you keep commenting this on threads relating to Arbitio. It is clear that you do not understand the relative difficulty of Arbitio and I doubt you've even used the software. Please stop commenting 'You are likely to get lower scores'. If you even bothered taking a glimpse at the Arbitio website or even other people's comments on these threads, you'd find that Arbitio tests are significantly harder, and by commenting this you are likely just causing other people to needlessly worry.
Original post by AlexStricklin12
Please stop commenting 'You are likely to get lower scores'. If you even bothered taking a glimpse at the Arbitio website or even other people's comments on these threads, you'd find that Arbitio tests are significantly harder, and by commenting this you are likely just causing other people to needlessly worry.

As someone responsible for Law Admissions at an RG Uni, I do know eactly what I'm talking about.
Original post by McGinger
As someone responsible for Law Admissions at an RG Uni, I do know eactly what I'm talking about.

In the most polite way possible, your assumption that the real LNAT scores would be lower than Arbitio scores would be correct if they were of similar difficulty, however this is not the case. The arbitio tests are significantly more difficult than the actual lnat, and therefore whilst you're correct that exam conditions + stress will have a negative impact on someone's score, the difference in difficulty between the two is enough for a standard examinee to still increase their score.
Again I'm not trying to undermine your knowledge about the LNAT, I just think you are partly ill-informed regarding the Arbitio software :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending