The Student Room Group

Should i apply to Cambridge? appreciate anybody's thoughts on this!

My GSCE are A,A*,B,B,C,C,C

My predicted A levels are A*,A,A

I would like to do LLB Law.
Original post by kiran163

Hello, thank you for your question.

Myself I have neither applied nor studied at Cambridge. However, based on my understanding of how competitive the institution is, your GCSE grades may put you at a slight disadvantage. Still, as with any university application, the A Level grades will be the most important factor, along with your personal statement. Hence, I would say if you can demonstrate why you would be a strong candidate for the course via other means such as the extracurricular activities you have been involved with; then by all means I would encourage you to apply. Also, at the end of the day, you always have 5 options on your UCAS application; hence, even if you are not offered a place, at least you can say that you have tried and still be safe in knowing there are 4 other potential offers to choose from. Lastly, it may be a good idea to speak to the Cambridge admission team for Law ([email protected]), since they may be able to shed a bit more of an accurate insight on what is expected/ desired.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other queries I might be able to help with :smile:.

All the Best,
Kasia (4th Year Medical Neuroscience Student MSci with a Year Abroad)
(edited 2 years ago)

If you want to do LLB law, then Cambridge is the very worst university to which you could apply.
Reply 3
Thank you for your reply, I will def reach out to admissions and see what options I have, do you recommended to aim high or spread out my choices to different Uni tiers? thx :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
GCSEs don’t really matter at cam, you meet the grade req. so apply.
Thank you for your reply, I will def reach out to admissions and see what options I have, do you recommended to aim high or spread out my choices to different Uni tiers? thx :smile:

Definitely spread out your choices. A*AA Unis may reject you because they question whether your A level predictions are realistic based on the grades you achieved at GCSE.
Original post by Reality Check
If you want to do LLB law, then Cambridge is the very worst university to which you could apply.

What would you say is the best for LLB law in London?
Original post by cleveranimal56

Note that I was being facetious with my reply that 'Cambridge is the worst place to apply to if you want to do an LL.B*.

UCL and LSE are very strong London colleges for law.

*Cambridge only awards the B.A. for all undergraduate degrees, regardless of subject.
Original post by Reality Check
Note that I was being facetious with my reply that 'Cambridge is the worst place to apply to if you want to do an LL.B*.

UCL and LSE are very strong London colleges for law.

*Cambridge only awards the B.A. for all undergraduate degrees, regardless of subject.

Oh ok, thanks.

Spoiler

Original post by cleveranimal56

The uni tiers for law in my opinion for someone with your grade requirements would be in my personal opinion
1) Oxbridge
2)UCL/LSE
3)Durham , KCL , Edinburgh
4)notts , Bristol , Warwick
5) Manchester, Exeter, Glasgow
6 )more or less the remaining Russell groups + maybe Kent but idk on that one
7) Liverpool
8) the rest of the Unis but they aren’t in my opinion worth applying to if you want to go into the higher end of law ( that being said I may be basing my views on outdated opinions I’ve heard off others and am myself only an incoming undergrad for the next academic year )

P.S Oxford tend to place a lot of weight on GCSES ( not saying Cambridge don’t but are slightly less weighted in that regard + I’ve heard LSE and Edinburgh are quite strict with GCSES too but idk for certain as I didn’t apply there ). Also in the current climate GCSEs may hold more weight for your cohort due to them being seen by some to be a more accurate depiction of one’s academic ability ( not saying I agree with that btw ) so that may lower your chances at the top unis . However , if you score well on your lnat ( say 27+) then you stand every chance of being made an offer to study at the unis that require it e.g UCL ,KCL ,LSE etc
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending