The Student Room Group

Canadian applying to UK with AP and class grades

Hi there,

Looking for a bit of advice :smile:

My AP results for Calc BC, Macroeconomics, Comp Sci principles and Art His are 5,5,4,3 respectively.

And my 5 highest grade 12 classes are:
96% in pre-calc
96% in comp sci
95% in socials
93% in Econ
89% in Art history

I am applying to computer science in the UK (looking at Edinburgh, Bristol, Exeter...) and keep being told how competitive comp sci is (especially as an international)! Are there any universities you recommend with these grades? And do you think I've screwed my chances by not getting a 5 in my AP comp sci exam?

Also as a side, does anyone know how much AP scores weigh in a Canadian's application? As APs are part of the American system and only offered at certain schools in Canada on top of the normal high school curriculum.

Thanks!

* I self-studied 3 of my APs which is why I don't have class grades to accompany them :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by jess_school
Hi there,

My AP results for Calc BC, Macroeconomics, Comp Sci principles and Art His are 5,5,4,3 respectively.

96% in pre-calc
96% in comp sci
95% in socials
93% in Econ
89% in Art history

I am applying to computer science in the UK (looking at Edinburgh, Bristol, Exeter...) and keep being told how competitive comp sci is (especially as an international)! Are there any universities you recommend with these grades? And do you think I've screwed my chances by not getting a 5 in my AP comp sci exam?

Also as a side, does anyone know how much AP scores weigh in a Canadian's application? As APs are part of the American system and only offered at certain schools in Canada on top of the normal high school curriculum.

Thanks!

* I self-studied 3 of my APs which is why I don't have class grades to accompany them :smile:

Because most universities don't expect you to have any knowledge of computer science before you start, and most UK schools don't offer A-level computer science, universities (particularly the ones you're looking at) place much more emphasis on maths grades (in your case, Calc AB) than compsci grades. So I wouldn't worry too much about not getting a 5 in your AP compsci.

You'll find on university websites what they recognise from international qualifications (eg Bristol http://www.bristol.ac.uk/international/countries/) but because of your mix of US and Canadian qualifications it might be best emailing universities directly to see what they require.
Reply 2
Original post by jess_school
Hi there,

96% in pre-calc
96% in comp sci
95% in socials
93% in Econ
89% in Art history

Thanks!

good luck
Reply 3
Original post by thegalaxy
Because most universities don't expect you to have any knowledge of computer science before you start, and most UK schools don't offer A-level computer science, universities (particularly the ones you're looking at) place much more emphasis on maths grades (in your case, Calc AB) than compsci grades. So I wouldn't worry too much about not getting a 5 in your AP compsci.

You'll find on university websites what they recognise from international qualifications (eg Bristol http://www.bristol.ac.uk/international/countries/) but because of your mix of US and Canadian qualifications it might be best emailing universities directly to see what they require.

Thanks a lot for responding, that's really good to know about them placing more emphasis on Maths.
I'll get in contact with the Unis directly - great idea :smile:

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending