The Student Room Group

Too self conscious

I recently got a new job during the summer having finished my A levels and they’ve recently given me some unifrom. I feel too self conscious to wear it because it shows my bum and body shape in general
I hate my body shape so always try to find a way to wear the most baggiest clothes possible but this shows everything
Everything looks fat on me whilst the other works are so slim so I feel like I’ll be the odd one out
Then ask them for a bigger size
Do you think it would be possible to buy an alternative skirt/trousers (don’t know what the uniform is!) in a style that makes you feel more comfortable, but in the same color as what they’ve provided you? So that you would still look like part of the team while not feeling self conscious. Wishing you the best x
Reply 3
Original post by GabiAbi84
Then ask them for a bigger size

Everything’s too baggy but I’m more self conscious about my body shape because everyone there look so slim whilst I look out of place
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
Do you think it would be possible to buy an alternative skirt/trousers (don’t know what the uniform is!) in a style that makes you feel more comfortable, but in the same color as what they’ve provided you? So that you would still look like part of the team while not feeling self conscious. Wishing you the best x

I think I’m going to give back the trousers because they’re too long and baggy and the jacket is a bit big but I’m worried the size smaller will be too small
I’m too self conscious because I hate my non existent bum and rectangle shape
I feel like I’ll end up thinking about how I look my whole shifts instead of worrying about what I need to do
Everything’s too baggy but I’m more self conscious about my body shape because everyone there look so slim whilst I look out of place

I’m sorry that you have body/self esteem issues.
But a uniform is standard and no one will really care tbh. You can perhaps get them tailored to you so they fit better but that would depend on if the uniform needs to be returned to your work when you leave or not.
I think I’m going to give back the trousers because they’re too long and baggy and the jacket is a bit big but I’m worried the size smaller will be too small
I’m too self conscious because I hate my non existent bum and rectangle shape
I feel like I’ll end up thinking about how I look my whole shifts instead of worrying about what I need to do

I know it feels like you’ll be worrying the whole time, but once you’re preoccupied with your work it is bound to start to slip your mind, and gradually you’ll start to think about it less and less as your uniform becomes ‘the norm’ and isn’t so new and daunting. And you may feel self conscious about your body, but I’m sure no one else gives it as much thought as we do ourselves, all the other girls will have their own insecurities, even when we perceive them as beautiful!
Reply 7
I know it feels like you’ll be worrying the whole time, but once you’re preoccupied with your work it is bound to start to slip your mind, and gradually you’ll start to think about it less and less as your uniform becomes ‘the norm’ and isn’t so new and daunting. And you may feel self conscious about your body, but I’m sure no one else gives it as much thought as we do ourselves, all the other girls will have their own insecurities, even when we perceive them as beautiful!

I don’t think I will no matter how much I try to
Trying it on made me realise how horrible I look even though I have been exercising and becoming more healthier
I feel so tempted to just get a bbl surgery because I’m so tired of having to wear baggy or longer close to cover my body shape
True, they’re shorter and look a lot slimmer than I’m
I’m 5’6 and a size 14-16 but always feel like I’m double the size of every girl my age
Reply 8
You've unsurprisingly not revealed where you're starting work, but most places in my experience are not the same as school or college. People are there to grind away, go home and get paid as quickly as possible. You might get some stirrers and drama between colleagues, but for the most part - if you're all wearing uniform, no-one usually feels good about it. People have different shapes and sizes; I personally looked like an absolute potato in some uniforms I've had in the past. You're not there walking the catwalk in front of an audience, most people really aren't bothered because uniform is rarely designed to be attractive in the conventional sense.

I'm not trying to patronise you here, but just relax. Tell them you need a different size, but make sure it is comfortable to wear beyond how it makes you feel inside. There's no point feeling confident in it but being miserable and uncomfortable all day.
I don’t think I will no matter how much I try to
Trying it on made me realise how horrible I look even though I have been exercising and becoming more healthier
I feel so tempted to just get a bbl surgery because I’m so tired of having to wear baggy or longer close to cover my body shape
True, they’re shorter and look a lot slimmer than I’m
I’m 5’6 and a size 14-16 but always feel like I’m double the size of every girl my age

As long as you’re exercising and keeping healthy it doesn’t matter what you body looks like. The ideal body should be a healthy body! And don’t feel like you need to get surgery due to making comparisons between yourself and other girls. Now you’re exercising, you're actively doing something that may alter your body already, getting a BBL just enforces the dangers of social media in terms of unrealistic beauty standards people try to obtain. If you really wanted to get one then of course it’s your choice, if you don’t need to change yourself for what you think other people will perceive as beautiful x
As long as you’re exercising and keeping healthy it doesn’t matter what you body looks like. The ideal body should be a healthy body! And don’t feel like you need to get surgery due to making comparisons between yourself and other girls. Now you’re exercising, you're actively doing something that may alter your body already, getting a BBL just enforces the dangers of social media in terms of unrealistic beauty standards people try to obtain. If you really wanted to get one then of course it’s your choice, if you don’t need to change yourself for what you think other people will perceive as beautiful x

I’m still not a healthy weight that’s what makes me even more self conscious
I just want to feel and look as healthy as possible and I think then, I’d become more confident but that’s taking a while
I only do home workouts so I don’t think I’d reach the body I want, I think hopefully in the future I’ll try out the gym and then consider anything else
I need to just remember there’s more to life than how I look and most people couldn’t care less 😂
I

I need to just remember there’s more to life than how I look and most people couldn’t care less 😂

YESSS, that’s the mindset to have!!! Xx
I

YESSS, that’s the mindset to have!!! Xx

It’s just hard in practice when all you hear is what body shape is ideal and what’s not
Or how hip dips etc are unflattering but then you’re told to embrace them
It constantly makes me compare myself to the point I’m even too self conscious to wear a uniform that every employee has worn at the workplace

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending