The Student Room Group

Access to UNI

I really want to study Psychology at University. I am 22 and finished school a while back, so I would be returning as a mature student. At the moment I have 80 UCAS points (Double Award Health and Social Care - Grade BB), however it is not enough for my dream course. I was debating doing a third A-Level specifically in Psychology in order to gain enough UCAS points to go to LJMU and study Psychology. The only thing is, I ideally would have liked to have fast tracked this A-level and complete both AS/A2 in 1 year, as I am not getting any younger and feel I am ready to commit a lot of my time on ensuring I do well in my studies. I guess I need advice on what to do. I looked at distance learning, but I can’t find a reputable provider who will ensure I complete my AS & A2 exams to obtain the complete A-level. I have noticed that most distance learning providers only include the A2 exams & content, so I fear this isn’t going to be sufficient enough for at least 40 UCAS points. What other options do I have? Like I said, I ideally would like to apply for uni starting September 2022 or the beginning of 2023. Therefore I don’t think a diploma of HE would be helpful as it seems to be a 2 year course. Any advice is highly appreciated, as I am feeling quite lost right now and don’t know what to do or how to achieve my goals.
Thanks
Original post by emily_mcgarryx
I really want to study Psychology at University. I am 22 and finished school a while back, so I would be returning as a mature student. At the moment I have 80 UCAS points (Double Award Health and Social Care - Grade BB), however it is not enough for my dream course. I was debating doing a third A-Level specifically in Psychology in order to gain enough UCAS points to go to LJMU and study Psychology. The only thing is, I ideally would have liked to have fast tracked this A-level and complete both AS/A2 in 1 year, as I am not getting any younger and feel I am ready to commit a lot of my time on ensuring I do well in my studies. I guess I need advice on what to do. I looked at distance learning, but I can’t find a reputable provider who will ensure I complete my AS & A2 exams to obtain the complete A-level. I have noticed that most distance learning providers only include the A2 exams & content, so I fear this isn’t going to be sufficient enough for at least 40 UCAS points. What other options do I have? Like I said, I ideally would like to apply for uni starting September 2022 or the beginning of 2023. Therefore I don’t think a diploma of HE would be helpful as it seems to be a 2 year course. Any advice is highly appreciated, as I am feeling quite lost right now and don’t know what to do or how to achieve my goals.
Thanks

@emily_mcgarryx
Hello! The very vast majority of Access to HE programs are a year long and are like A levels squashed into one year - a social sciences pathway consists of Sociology, Psychology, and Criminology (I've taught on this pathway for nearly 10 years)

Being an adult learner you can take out an advanced learner loan for the course, and when you complete your degree the loan is written off for the access year.

Access programs run by your local FE college will be better than an online one - online courses have a high drop out rate for a variety of reasons. an FE college would give you advice on your UCAS application and study skills too.

A levels would be costly and take up two years instead of one

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending