The Student Room Group

Nursing or Medicine

I have always thought of doing medicine as I loved the idea of diagnosing people and having a pivotal role in care but sadly did not get into medicine 1st attempt. I am now studying nursing and midwifery and through midwifery is what I wanted to do, but now I am having doubts again. I don't know if I should choose Nursing and Mid or medicine or where to get advice. I still think about being a doctor quite a lot, but I don't know if I have the skill set to achieve it or be a good one.
most people that do nursing are just failed medicine applicants and they later want to get into medicine

Original post by SandraMcdonald
I have always thought of doing medicine as I loved the idea of diagnosing people and having a pivotal role in care but sadly did not get into medicine 1st attempt. I am now studying nursing and midwifery and through midwifery is what I wanted to do, but now I am having doubts again. I don't know if I should choose Nursing and Mid or medicine or where to get advice. I still think about being a doctor quite a lot, but I don't know if I have the skill set to achieve it or be a good one.
(edited 2 years ago)

What are your doubts about your current course?

It is certainly possible to study medicine after a nursing or midwifery degree but it's important to ensure your reasons for wanting to make the change are not based simply on unhappiness with your current degree.

Final question: are you based in the UK? I did not think it was possible to study nursing and midwifery jointly.

You can find out more about graduate entry medicine here:

https://www.medicmind.co.uk/medicine-ucas-guide/applying-for-graduate-entry-medicine/

Original post by FranklinThompson
most people that do nursing are just failed medicine applicants and they later want to get into medicine

I mean, this is very clearly untrue.
Original post by Democracy
What are your doubts about your current course?

It is certainly possible to study medicine after a nursing or midwifery degree but it's important to ensure your reasons for wanting to make the change are not based simply on unhappiness with your current degree.

Final question: are you based in the UK? I did not think it was possible to study nursing and midwifery jointly.

You can find out more about graduate entry medicine here:

https://www.medicmind.co.uk/medicine-ucas-guide/applying-for-graduate-entry-medicine/

I mean, this is very clearly untrue.

The way the lectures are portraying the work environment is very negative and are constantly bagging other professions. I don't want to be a part of a workforce that has a negative culture and is not respectful of all other professions that they work with. This may be just my university, and I am waiting to go on placement to see if the way they are portraying the workforce is true. Still, the medicine applications close before placement, so I am thinking of applying, and if I get to the placement and love it, then I will withdraw my application.

I am currently in Australia, and they offer the dual degree over 4 years.
The way the lectures are portraying the work environment is very negative and are constantly bagging other professions. I don't want to be a part of a workforce that has a negative culture and is not respectful of all other professions that they work with. This may be just my university, and I am waiting to go on placement to see if the way they are portraying the workforce is true. Still, the medicine applications close before placement, so I am thinking of applying, and if I get to the placement and love it, then I will withdraw my application.

I am currently in Australia, and they offer the dual degree over 4 years.

I understand where you're coming from, it is indeed a difficult time to be working in healthcare generally. I am not a nurse and I don't work in Australia so I can't comment on the specific negatives there, but I have found it helpful to think about push and pull factors. It sounds a bit HR-y but if your reasons for wanting to do medicine are mainly derived from wanting to run away from your current degree or the university environment, that may not be a wise decision. Have you completed any medical work experience to help you confirm whether medicine is for you?

I am happy in medicine but certainly the profession has its own examples of negativity and poor workplace culture so make sure this is not "grass is greener" syndrome. Nursing is a varied career, so presumably if you don't enjoy the hospital environment there are alternatives?

If you complete your degree and decide nursing isn't for you, there are graduate entry medicine degrees in Australia which you could look into.

Quick Reply