The Student Room Group

How do I organise my life?

Hi, so recently a lot has been gong on in my life. I am currently working towards my GCSE's and my stress levels are high up!!!!
I have really high expectations of myself but i don't know what to do!!!
Whenever I go on YouTube or Insta i always see people who are having their time of their life and getting A* 's in everything....

I don't really know how to organise my life so that i know what i am doing. Any Tips?
Identify the triggers and stop doing those.
Recognise that social media is far from reality for most people: stories are synonymous with ‘Highlights’ for a reason. Having finished my A-levels this year, I’ll be the first to admit that comparison and low self-esteem were huge barriers, but I decided to set my phone aside for 12 hours daily (you don’t need to do this much, don’t worry! (Nor did I)) and eventually uninstalled Instagram, Snapchat, etc, to prevent myself from seeking the ‘good life’. If you think about it, even if some of what is presented online is an accurate representation of your age group, most of those partying or ‘having the time of their lives’ may regret it later on; your effort will be more gratifying in the future.
However, it’s also your summer (I assume you’re starting Year 10?) and, if you have two years ahead of you to study, I promise that’s more than enough! I didn’t begin revising until January of Year 11 and achieved 7-9s, but I understand you may be aiming higher. In that case, a friend started in the early autumn - it honestly differs from individual to individual.

Anyway, reflecting on my vast improvement at A-level, here are my top tips:
Use GetRevising to make a weekly planner, perhaps on a Sunday evening/Monday morning. This way, you can incorporate your school timetable and other commitments, while factoring in however many hours of study you desire.
Eat well, including breakfast! At GCSE, as disgusting as this is to share, I used to eat a biscuit in the morning at most. Yet, for two years I switched to fruit and a breakfast bar, which I seriously think reenergised me!
Sleep well, too! Eight hours a night if you can. I know your phone is tempting, but I turned it into an alarm clock and would always rest from 10pm-6:30am - maybe read before bed (something non-academic) to help you relax.
Vary your revision techniques to reduce boredom. To mention some of my favourites:
- Flashcards on Quizlet (way faster to produce and transportable).
- Homemade quizzes that go into greater depth on PowerPoint, whereby you can add images or sound if you’re an audible learner.
- Mind maps/spider diagrams (check up clock charts!).
- Essay plans/writing practice, although I wouldn’t recommend this from the get-go, since I ran out of questions very quickly.
That’s the best advice I can give for now, so as long as you study productively (use a timer app!), sleep and eat suitably, and recognise your own goals, rather than succumbing to online comparisons, then you’ll reach the stars!
Good luck - message me if you need any more guidance! x
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Tsrsuperstar
Recognise that social media is far from reality for most people: stories are synonymous with ‘Highlights’ for a reason. Having finished my A-levels this year, I’ll be the first to admit that comparison and low self-esteem were huge barriers, but I decided to set my phone aside for 12 hours daily (you don’t need to do this much, don’t worry! (Nor did I)) and eventually uninstalled Instagram, Snapchat, etc, to prevent myself from seeking the ‘good life’. If you think about it, even if some of what is presented online is an accurate representation of your age group, most of those partying or ‘having the time of their lives’ may regret it later on; your effort will be more gratifying in the future.
However, it’s also your summer (I assume you’re starting Year 10?) and, if you have two years ahead of you to study, I promise that’s more than enough! I didn’t begin revising until January of Year 11 and achieved 7-9s, but I understand you may be aiming higher. In that case, a friend started in the early autumn - it honestly differs from individual to individual.

Anyway, reflecting on my vast improvement at A-level, here are my top tips:
Use GetRevising to make a weekly planner, perhaps on a Sunday evening/Monday morning. This way, you can incorporate your school timetable and other commitments, while factoring in however many hours of study you desire.
Eat well, including breakfast! At GCSE, as disgusting as this is to share, I used to eat a biscuit in the morning at most. Yet, for two years I switched to fruit and a breakfast bar, which I seriously think reenergised me!
Sleep well, too! Eight hours a night if you can. I know your phone is tempting, but I turned it into an alarm clock and would always rest from 10pm-6:30am - maybe read before bed (something non-academic) to help you relax.
Vary your revision techniques to reduce boredom. To mention some of my favourites:
- Flashcards on Quizlet (way faster to produce and transportable).
- Homemade quizzes that go into greater depth on PowerPoint, whereby you can add images or sound if you’re an audible learner.
- Mind maps/spider diagrams (check up clock charts!).
- Essay plans/writing practice, although I wouldn’t recommend this from the get-go, since I ran out of questions very quickly.
That’s the best advice I can give for now, so as long as you study productively (use a timer app!), sleep and eat suitably, and recognise your own goals, rather than succumbing to online comparisons, then you’ll reach the stars!
Good luck - message me if you need any more guidance! x

Thank you so much for this reply!! It REALLY means a lot to me. I honestly don't think I can thank you enough for spending some time to reply...i will definitely be doing the stuff you mentioned such as recongnising my own goals etc.
If you don't mind, could you kindly share any tips on how you revised for English Language and English Literature. I really struggle on them the most!!

Thank you once again for taking your time out to read my message x

Quick Reply

Latest