The Student Room Group

Tips for year 11

Any tips for starting year 11 in September
Reply 1
Tips:
Make notes now for topics from Year 10 and continue that through Year 11 - that way when everyone panics because they have no revision resources you'll be ahead of the curve. Also try and organise your notes as much as possible! Try out different revision techniques and find the ones that work best for you (I mentioned notes before because flashcards is what worked best for me). Different subjects require different ways to revise though so for things like sciences and maths do A LOT of practice questions nearer to exams. Take breaks from revision but make sure you go over topics to ensure you can recall them. If you're doing a coursework subject DO NOT fall behind - deadlines will hit faster than you think - I did that and it wasn't fun. Though to be completely honest, GCSE's aren't unreasonably hard, recall is the most important skill for most subjects and one of the main things to emphasise is that everyone does differently in exams, so don't stress too much and just aim for your personal best - not anyone else's. Don't stress out if someone else in your class is doing heaps more revision than you and try not to get worried by the people around you. Oh and also if you are stressed about something take a break - trying to concentrate while panicking is like trying to walk on water. Year 11 shouldn't really get too stressful until exams hit anyway. Hope this helps.
The best people to ask would be these lot on the current Year 11 chat thread :yep:

The advice given by @elpe is fab :thumbsup:
Reply 3
Start revising months before the GCSEs.
Original post by saharknj
Any tips for starting year 11 in September

Hi,

Make sure you get on top of your work and subjects early. Using both revision guides and teacher provided materials aim to revise a set amount per week. Time management is crucial for GCSEs due to the range of subjects so ensure you plan well for how much time you are going to revise per week for each subject. As well as this is the variety of revision techniques. I personally love flashcards but do research and experimenting to find the method that best helps you!

I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any more questions!

Alex - UoP Rep
Reply 5
Original post by elpe
Tips:
Make notes now for topics from Year 10 and continue that through Year 11 - that way when everyone panics because they have no revision resources you'll be ahead of the curve. Also try and organise your notes as much as possible! Try out different revision techniques and find the ones that work best for you (I mentioned notes before because flashcards is what worked best for me). Different subjects require different ways to revise though so for things like sciences and maths do A LOT of practice questions nearer to exams. Take breaks from revision but make sure you go over topics to ensure you can recall them. If you're doing a coursework subject DO NOT fall behind - deadlines will hit faster than you think - I did that and it wasn't fun. Though to be completely honest, GCSE's aren't unreasonably hard, recall is the most important skill for most subjects and one of the main things to emphasise is that everyone does differently in exams, so don't stress too much and just aim for your personal best - not anyone else's. Don't stress out if someone else in your class is doing heaps more revision than you and try not to get worried by the people around you. Oh and also if you are stressed about something take a break - trying to concentrate while panicking is like trying to walk on water. Year 11 shouldn't really get too stressful until exams hit anyway. Hope this helps.

Thank you so much.

Quick Reply

Latest