The Student Room Group

Can QTS be withdrawn?

Hi. I have completed most of my PGCE. By most, I mean all modules are completed and passed, but I deferred one assignment to be completed this August instead, which is worth 100% of a module. I have been recommended for QTS and have my certification for this, in addition to an NQT job to begin in September. I’m really not feeling confident with my final assignment and it’s due in a week. If I fail, can the university withdraw my recommendation for QTS and certificate, or will it not make a difference? I know the PGCE and QTS are separate qualifications but I’m worried sick of losing my job and qualification.
Thank you
Original post by traineeteacher2
Hi. I have completed most of my PGCE. By most, I mean all modules are completed and passed, but I deferred one assignment to be completed this August instead, which is worth 100% of a module. I have been recommended for QTS and have my certification for this, in addition to an NQT job to begin in September. I’m really not feeling confident with my final assignment and it’s due in a week. If I fail, can the university withdraw my recommendation for QTS and certificate, or will it not make a difference? I know the PGCE and QTS are separate qualifications but I’m worried sick of losing my job and qualification.
Thank you

It won’t make a difference, your QTS is separate. You only actually need QTS to teach in schools, not the pgce. I did my teacher training through a provider so had option of doing just Teacher training or completing the pgce as well. I choose not to do the pgce. I only have QTS yet, I almost completed my nqt and should finish it shortly.
Original post by traineeteacher2
Thank you

If the uni have recommended you for QTS, then this assignment won't have any impact on that or not.

You can be barred from teaching once you have QTS, but this is due to serious professional misconduct type things, not missing an assignment!
Original post by SarcAndSpark
You can be barred from teaching once you have QTS, but this is due to serious professional misconduct type things, not missing an assignment!

I've been a regular reader of this list:

https://www.gov.uk/search/all?organisations%5B%5D=teaching-regulation-agency&order=updated-newest&parent=teaching-regulation-agency

The conduct of some teachers who get struck off still amazes me. The vast majority of teachers seem to get struck off for inappropriate conduct with students, often via private social media channels which raises safeguarding concerns (probably a 99% male category); changing or interfering with examination materials or other cheating regarding assessment or financial irregularities. You get some great ones of teachers going on school trips, getting slaughtered on cheap wine and then going completely rogue.
Original post by Reality Check

https://www.gov.uk/search/all?organisations%5B%5D=teaching-regulation-agency&order=updated-newest&parent=teaching-regulation-agency

The conduct of some teachers who get struck off still amazes me. The vast majority of teachers seem to get struck off for inappropriate conduct with students, often via private social media channels which raises safeguarding concerns (probably a 99% male category); changing or interfering with examination materials or other cheating regarding assessment or financial irregularities. You get some great ones of teachers going on school trips, getting slaughtered on cheap wine and then going completely rogue.

PRSOM.

Oh wow, this is a goldmine!

"On one or more occasions between 4 November and 2 December 2019, shouted at Staff Member 4, 'Yo, B**tch', or words to that effect."
Original post by Admit-One
Oh wow, this is a goldmine!

"On one or more occasions between 4 November and 2 December 2019, shouted at Staff Member 4, 'Yo, B**tch', or words to that effect."

Oh, honestly A-O, they're great!! Sometimes, if I'm at a loose end, I'll pour myself a large gin (Sipsmith, now) and settle down with a couple of those reports. Some of them are hilarious, in a comedy-tragedy kind of way.

I admit it's a funny way to pass the time, but that's what passes for fun deep in the sticks as we are here :laugh:
Oh, honestly A-O, they're great!! Sometimes, if I'm at a loose end, I'll pour myself a large gin (Sipsmith, now) and settle down with a couple of those reports. Some of them are hilarious, in a comedy-tragedy kind of way.

I admit it's a funny way to pass the time, but that's what passes for fun deep in the sticks as we are here :laugh:

I'm also on a "deep dive" into this list. Although some of them are hilarious, it's a bit depressing how many of them involve sexual misconduct of some kind towards a student.
Original post by SarcAndSpark
I'm also on a "deep dive" into this list. Although some of them are hilarious, it's a bit depressing how many of them involve sexual misconduct of some kind towards a student.

I'd say it's probably the most common reason for a teacher to be 'struck off' - and I've been reading the Hearing summaries for literally years.

They vary in seriousness. There's the obvious ones where the teacher is clearly a rotten apple and is making clear sexual advances towards a child or children. They're clear cut, and are dealt with in a similarly clear-cut way. However, I think what worries me more (and what personally I find depressing) are the much less immediately obvious cases, where the teacher has no proper understanding of the boundaries or limits of what constitutes appropriate, professional behaviour. The individual 'acts', eg offering extra study help in closed rooms without another colleague present, contacting children via social media, showing clear favouritism by buying gifts etc don't in any way seem to trigger any feelings of 'I shouldn't be doing this' in some of these cases - the teachers who subsequently go on to be struck off show little remorse and often don't really believe they're doing anything wrong. And you can guarantee that each teacher answered the Safeguarding Question in their interview without even dropping a beat.
I'd say it's probably the most common reason for a teacher to be 'struck off' - and I've been reading the Hearing summaries for literally years.

They vary in seriousness. There's the obvious ones where the teacher is clearly a rotten apple and is making clear sexual advances towards a child or children. They're clear cut, and are dealt with in a similarly clear-cut way. However, I think what worries me more (and what personally I find depressing) are the much less immediately obvious cases, where the teacher has no proper understanding of the boundaries or limits of what constitutes appropriate, professional behaviour. The individual 'acts', eg offering extra study help in closed rooms without another colleague present, contacting children via social media, showing clear favouritism by buying gifts etc don't in any way seem to trigger any feelings of 'I shouldn't be doing this' in some of these cases - the teachers who subsequently go on to be struck off show little remorse and often don't really believe they're doing anything wrong. And you can guarantee that each teacher answered the Safeguarding Question in their interview without even dropping a beat.

Yeah, I read one which I think I'd heard about before where a teacher exchanged literally thousands of personal emails, albeit in German, with a student, going into all sorts of detail about his personal life. He was obviously hugely naive, but equally seemed to go to lengths to minimise the exchange and keep it secret from others, alongside other misconduct.

And he's been allowed to go on teaching!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending