The Student Room Group

Is WHSmith paper any good??

I know this is a fairly random question and I don't expect many people to know, but are WHSmith refill pads any good? Is the paper thick enough, do pens and highlighters bleed through?

Specifically I am referring to this: https://www.whsmith.co.uk/products/whsmith-a4-squared-refill-pad/0000033272542.html

(Squared as opposed to lined. I will also need to get graph paper too as I plan on taking maths intensive subjects.)

If nobody has any idea about this paper I'd be open to recommendations of squared and graph paper that is good quality.

Thanks so much!!
Reply 1
I find their squared paper feels quite thin compared to their lined paper (or just standard paper in general), but the squares are a good size for my writing and I write in pencil so it's no problem for me. I imagine it would be an issue if you write with a fountain pen, but a standard biro would do fine if you don't write too aggressively :biggrin:

Edit: just checked and they are the same thickness, so I think it's just being bound on the short edge rather than the long edge making it seem flimsier
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Interea
I find their squared paper quite thin compared to their lined paper (or just standard paper in general), but the squares are a good size for my writing and I write in pencil so it's no problem for me. I imagine it would be an issue if you write with a fountain pen, but a standard biro would do fine if you don't write too aggressively :biggrin:

Thank you!! I generally use biros to write notes with and a pencil for any maths so that should be fine :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by thealphabetsays
Thank you!! I generally use biros to write notes with and a pencil for any maths so that should be fine :smile:

Yep :smile: The only times I've had ink bleed through is when using those really inky handwriting pens, and even then it's just the dots at the end of lines/letters where I've held the pen down for a second, so I really don't think biros would cause any issues
I'm a bit of a stationery addict and was happy using them through the whole of A levels for my notes but for my to do lists I started using pukka pads and found that the paper is a higher quality
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by SB1234567890
I'm a bit of a stationery addict and was happy using them through the whole of A levels for my notes but for my to do lists I started using pukka pads and found that the paper is a higher quality

I might look into pukka pads! I think it's slightly harder to find squared pads but I'm sure I'll be able to find them. If not then I'll resort to the WHSmith pads. Thank you :h:
All A4 pad should state the paper weight in grams per sqM. The heavier the paper the better the quality generally.
WHS regular refill is 70gsm and their premium pads are 80g. Pukka pad refills tend to be 80gsm
The past couple of years I'd regularly buy those exact pads from WHSmith; I think there's a bogof or 3 for 2 offer on them (all the time).
I always used to use them when writing neat notes and also for non-academic things, i.e. pen pal letters.
The paper is great; not fancy premium stuff, but does the job and the squared layout is great for all kinds of drawings/mathematical sums/etc. I recommend it!
I tend to vary between black gel pen and standard biros - both work fine and don't bleed through at all.
Hope this helps! :hugs:
Standard paper for photocopiers, so letter paper is 80g. For general writing purposes ink will not go through this, but if you want to use highlighters like stabilo you'll need 90g or even 110g paper.
(edited 2 years ago)
Get rich
Just gonna say you don't need squared paper for maths - I know in my class most people use lined paper - though of course you can if you want to lmao. Also, you probably don't need to buy graph paper - on the occasions where we have needed to use graph paper (which is basically never in maths, but quite often in for example physics), they will probably give it to you.

I don't use their squared paper but I have used refill pads from WHSmith before and they are perfectly fine, though a bit expensive for what they are.
(edited 2 years ago)
Get your squared paper from wilko, 160 pages for £1. They can be hard to find though as they're usually sold out all the time. It's 80gsm and my highlighters don't leak through at all

https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-a4-refill-pad-graph-160-pages/p/0479952

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending